www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:23 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

My two cents,

Stayed at SL numerous times. Have stayed at other places too (HLH, Dunn Inn)
Food at SL is like most other places the world over, some items they do well, some not so well. Concur with chicken burrito, I must eat it several times on each trip whether I'm staying there or not. Desayuno americano is very good also (my usually breakfast).
Rooms, they are what they are. Stayed in both new and old. ya get what ya pay for IMO.
Staff, Old bartenders knew me (or at least recognized me) and always served me promptly even if they were busy (so I get served before other people who were waiting before me...big deal. They, the bartenders, know what i'm drinking and I ALWAYS tip well and chat them up. call it preferential treatment if you will. If you want preferential treatment too, be nice to them, remember their names and tip and you too can jam people waiting for drinks. its called the bar business! Good bartenders take care of their regulars). Don't know how that will work since the wholesale staff changes, guess I'll have to start over... :)

Each place has it's pluses and minuses. Even if I am staying at another place I am in SL several times daily for the atmosphere and food. (CRT VIP discount)

HLH's plus is the rooms are a little bit nicer and have more modern fixtures (price is comparable) and you have the girls (which are cheaper). Food is like all places and by that I mean some items they do well (meatball sub), some not so well. Lacks the size (bar area) and overall atmosphere of SL.

Only stayed at Dunn inn once and it was alright...nothing special though I had a very cool room (the one behind the stained glass exterior wall to to the right of the entrance, kind of a mini suite. Behind that stained glass is a small sitting/tv room and at night the street lights come thru the glass creating nice mood lighting). same same on the food. No atmosphere in the bar area because non mongers also stay there (unless your into that).

Big plus for both SL and HLH is that both Bill and Boyd have great hospitality skills and run good joints. Both place customers first and that really shows. I have yet to go into into either place and not have them come up, shake my hand and ask me how everything was (food, service, drink, room etc...)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:03 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

im crunching the numbers and like the SInn to stay and keep stuff safe but fee is $35. So here's what ive done. $89 at sleep inn and party at SL room $53 or HLH $59 ... it's cheaper than the penthouse and gives one more options. SL has always been a great place with one exception ..... Bill & boyds birthday last year. I got stuck with whatever food the chicas ordered the night before on the next day and rather than let the waitress pay for it i had to pony up. it was under $49. :cry: aka one nut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:20 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Food is generic if eating a hamburger. Get a Casado and your opinion will change. Good bar but overpriced rooms.

Post subject: Sportsmens Lodge review
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:45 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Great post Californication! Freaking hilarious!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:12 pm 

it was a Brother Mucho Gusto repost....a CRT classic....ahahahahahahahaha

(export version only, some restrictions may apply, some assembly required, not valid where the sun don't shine...

if you live in the states of Poverty, Darkness or anywhere outside of The Blessings of Civilization Trust, Inc...other rules may apply)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:14 pm 

Californicationdude wrote:
it was a Brother Mucho Gusto repost....a CRT classic....ahahahahahahahaha

I remember that one well... :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:32 pm 

The best indicator a hotel owner has about how customers view their hotel is the occupancy rate. I understand that Sportsmens has enjoyed a high occupancy rate since I first stayed there in 2006. I hear it's above 95% so if you have trouble getting the room you want it's because others like to stay there too and they reserved the room before you. :roll:

The best indicator that a bar/restaraunt owner has is how frequently their barstools - chairs are filled. Most days and nights when I am at Sportsmens, there are few available chairs or barstools. Many are filled by expats living in Costa Rica, so one can assume that if there was a better place, they would be at that place rather than Sportsmens. :roll:

Over the years, I've stayed at other places and I personally find that I don't have as good of a time as I do when I stay at Sportsmens. Any issue that I have is always dealt with promptly without acting defensive in any way. It just gets done as I asked. Over the years, I've brought several newbies with me and all say they had the best time of their lives at Sportsmens. Based upon my many pleasant experiences at Sportsmens, I now change my travel plans if I can't get a preferred room at Sportsmens. I book my room at Sportsmens before I book the airplane.

I'm a rather picky eater and find that as I have gotten older I feel better eating fruits, nuts and vegetables than steak, white bread and hamburgers. It's my issue, not Bill's, so I go to the Auto Mercardo when I first arrive and stock up on fresh fruit, nuts and vegetables for the room. I particularly enjoy being able to eat breakfast at Sportsmens whenever I want, and without having to leave I can arrange for my "Good Morning BJ." I can then spend the day hanging out with the local expats, check email, read, etc. until it's happy hour time and I'm ready for my "Night-time Nookie" from one of the lovely flaquitas. There always seems to be one available at Sportsmens when I'm interested in finding her. Some days, I only leave Sportsmens to see my friend Boyd at HLH or to go late at night to the Del Rey to act up with old friends and new friends.

I've always found Bill and his staff to be very approachable about any issue and quickly willing to fix it to my satisfaction. Over the 6+ years, I've never had anything missing from my room and many of the maids have been with Sportsmens for as long as I have been coming. Although the bar maids can at times be distracted by their own conversations and cellphones (when Bill is not around) I never have trouble getting a drink when I want one. Likewise, I never worry about them putting other guys food & drinks on my tab - it's just never happened. Congrats to Manfred for Bill promoting him to hotel manager. Well deserved. :D

Is low self esteem a prerequisite for being a good Ho or is it a result? ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:22 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

California...I'm glad I read that on a tablet. Since I spit my drink out laughing so hard and a laptop keyboard would have suffered badly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:18 am 

Californicationdude,

Man, you've got a great memory. Hell, I had almost forgotten about that post! I don't remember exactly when that was, but it was several years ago, I think it was around 2006. But as a follow-up to that - my friend (the one who had that glorious experience) has STILL not returned to CR since that happened! And by the way... the "howler monkey" chica? If memory serves, her name is Helen, and she's STILL selling her wares at the HDR. I still see her in there, just about every trip. And every time I see her, I think of the aroma that she left in the room, and the "floater" that she also left behind! :oops:

MG :shock:

P.S. I just went back and found the thread. Here's the link if anyone wants to read the whole story!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11224

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:03 am 

Is Helen view-able in the VIP photos?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:03 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Why bother!

Last edited by Smelvis on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:06 am 

Maybe I'm just drunk, but it looks like I've been quoted out of context in the above post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:08 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I hope this is the appropriate thread to ask... those of you who have stayed in various rooms at SL, where is the best place to stay for value/comfort? I currently have standard room in the courtyard booked, but I think I can change it still. They mentioned the noise when I booked it, but now I'm having second thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:08 am 

Joenasty1976 wrote:
I hope this is the appropriate thread to ask... those of you who have stayed in various rooms at SL, where is the best place to stay for value/comfort? I currently have standard room in the courtyard booked, but I think I can change it still. They mentioned the noise when I booked it, but now I'm having second thoughts.

The bar closes at midnight so you don't have to worry about late night noise too much. Although there are some guys up and moving at 7am so if you like to sleep in those rooms might not be the best idea. If you are just gonna blast through your trip I would not stress the room. If I had a choice though I would stay in another room, but that is just me. Either way you will be happy.

the DR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:49 am 

i think if its your first time staying in SL the courtyard is sort of a right of passage. like the Dr. says it might be a noisy at times but you are clearly in the belly of the beast. do it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next