Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:58 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Admin 2 wrote:

Quote:
I just hope we can get on with more positive and fun threads that arent just rumoring or taking sides on what we havent experienced. And yes, I think Admin 1 and I are both still united in keeping this board open, balanced and fair, but zero tolerance for flaming or obviously misleading information. Thanks to all of you for your support of this gentlemens community.

Well spoken Admin 2. You and Admin 1 work very hard to keep this a great board. I salute you both for your hard work. If there are members here who remember CRS they can attest to what happens when the moderator lets thing get out of hand. Thanks guys for not allowing that to happen.

Unfortunately with growth come problems and I am afraid your hard work is getting harder. I hope that all here grow with this board and we move on to more interesting and enlightening subjects, have a bad experience by all means let everyone know then move on. Have a good experience let everyone know then move on.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:37 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Admin 2 wrote:

Coqui...your simple statement was deleted and I sent you a PM stating the reasons for that. Since you bring it back in the open, let me state for the record. Admin 1 had requested an end to the thread where all viewpoints of INVOLVED parties had been hashed out plenty. Immediately after that moderators request, you posted a repeat of your previous comment bashing the place without having been there. For those 2 reasons, I deleted the post and locked down the thread if only to make the point that we are SERIOUS about moderating and keeping this board a fair and balanced place to get pertinent information. It had nothing to do with who you are or whether you were new or not...we would have done the same to ANY of our veteran posters on this board. Just please respect our requests when we make our very RARE edits or moderations on this public board.

I dont think youve read my post correctly or perhaps your interpreting it wrong. But my statement was not a bash about the facilities or any such thing, my statement was that i would not be going to Kayas because i did not like the custemor service that the management showed on the boards and the result of the way they handled the problem. To me that is not a bash a bash would be if I would say something like Kayas is the pit of hell, its a bad hotel. No i did not say that, i would not say that because as you have pointed out, ive never stayed there. I am the type of person who puts custemor service above all else, this is why i am considering changing my current reservation to the sportsmans because of all the glowing reviews of management. I dont care how fancy a hotel is if i saw that they had a negative review on management or i saw how they resolve a problem in a negative way i would seriously think twice before going. Hence this is what i saw and what i think many of the other CRT members saw as well in the thread. Im not saying the other party is correct what im saying is that neither party handled themselves in the best way, personally can accept the custemor being angry and unreasnoble but when i see management act in a negative way well that to me is quiet shocking.

I dont think it was a bash to express myself, i dont think that my deleted post contained an angry tone or a disrespectull one. You say that you think it was, i can understand that. But there is one thing i want you to know.

I respect your decicions but it doesnt mean i agree with them, it doesnt mean i hate you or have a grudge, it just means i disagree, i dont think this needs to be blown out of preportion. Frankly to me this topic is more than dead its decaying. So lets just say we have two opposite points of views and leave it at that. Nothing gained and nothing lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:56 pm 

Admin2,
Not beating a dead horse. First, I was trying to understand what Norteno was saying as even you must admit his initial comments were so far over the top that I wasn't sure if HE was the one beating the dead horse. Then I was clarifying to him what I was trying to say. I'll be the the first to admit that I can't evaluate Kaya's never having been to even PV. Obviously, based on the 2 diametrically opposed reviews, YMMV. Opinionated as I am, I've never been one to see things as black and white, win or lose. If one looks at my many other posts, they will see that I often try to find the middle ground, present pros and cons of both sides and accept that not everyone has to agree, whether its on topics such as car rentals, the morazon hotel or the whole GFFE/LAL thing. I just feel in this case, if one tries to understand what factors led to the different views presented, one can better decide whether Kaya's or PV for that matter would be right for them. And that is what led me to my last post, which was not really addressed to Kaya's at all but to the PV area in general. Perhaps I should have put it in a new thread with not even a brief mention of Kaya.

GR's response was fairly predictable but at least I have a better understanding of why he feels the way he does about PV. You reply was even more useful as it brought in a viewpoint that up to now has been under-represented in this discussion. Based on what you say PV sounds more and more interesting.

I've been to Jamaica and loved it but could not take the feeling of insecurity due to its high crime rate. If PV's characters are tame compared to SJ, then compared to Jamaica it must be a walk in the park and therefore in many ways the best of both worlds.

You're comments on the nightlife also sound interesting. Bars and night clubs with "hundreds" of people dancing away to the wee hours of the morning doesn't sound like the sleepy little town that GR seemed to be suggesting. You didn't mention the availability of P4P and so I have to assume that it is nowhere near as good as SJ or even Jaco, if it can be found at all (save for the questionable offerings of the unsavory pimps out on the streets). Please correct me if I'm wrong. It seems to me that if one goes to PV primarily for this or unaccompanied one might be disappointed, but if one goes with the expectations you've laid out, much fun can still be had.

As for GR's explanation of local transportation, I see what for me could be a major problem for me or others that might be considering a trip to the PV area. For me, 10-15 miles on a bike would be a nice exercise and something that could be done to go to and from the remote beaches during the day. But it definitely wouldn't be something I'd want to try after dark, such as returning from PV back to my PU or Manzanilla hotel after a night of partying and drinking. I'm sure many members here are less active than either GR or myself and would probably never consider a 20 mile roundtrip on a bike at any time of the day. Renting a moped is a faster and easier alternative, but means adding another $25/day on to your budget. And you're probably not going to want to take your chica back to your hotel on a moped. No one here has mentioned the available of taxi or bus transportation or the cost. This means that if one stays in the PU or Manzanilla areas, one will need to either a) have a rental car; b) be prepared to shell out another $25/day for a moped; c) be an exercise freak; or d) spend most of their time at their hotel and the surrounding beaches and settle for whatever limited nightlife those hotels have to offer or bring a chica with them. This latter alternative is fine if one is searching a totally relaxed sedate tropical beach scene, but if one also wants to experience a little bit more of the laid back tropical "pura vida" party atmosphere, then one of the other alternatives will be needed OR staying at someplace much closer to PV.

Does this fairly sum it up, Admin2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:06 pm 

One more question. For those considering a trip to the Atlantic Coast without the benefit of a rental car or driver. Has anyone here ever tried to make one leg of the journey by going on a raft trip from one place and returning to another? For example, I think it would save some road time if one were planning to go on a raft trip on the Pacuare from say PV, to catch a different tour van and return to SJ from Turrialba since it is halfway between the two places anyway and has many raft tours from both cities stopping there. Do any of the major raft tour companies such as Rio Tropicales offer tours from both places and would they be willing to let you return to a different place on another one of their vans? I think that could be a good idea if it could be done.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:22 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I did that. Coming back from Puerto Viejo I did the Pacuare, and then Exploradores Outdoors provided transportation on to SJ. Exploradores Outdoors offers a trip from SJ to Pacuare and then on to Puerto Viejo, or vice versa.
[/url]http://www.exploradoresoutdoors.com/rafting_combined.cfm[url]
At Christmas they were just beginning to offer the same option, to or from, La Fortuna.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:20 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Prolijo...I'm going to take this PV/Caribbean discussion to a new thread...I;m REALLY dont with this mixed up thread :roll: . It's worth a fresh start...