www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:14 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I went to SJ several times before Covid and have not been back since, but am thinking of coming back. I wanted to hear the pros and cons between the Taormina and Sportsmens Lodge. I used to stay at Del Rey mainly because there is more activity during the day, and Sportsmens Lodge was dead during the day and I assume is even deader now that I understand the pool table is gone. I like to come to the Sportsmen at night for dinner, drinks and to find someone. I have not been to the Taormina but for my habits since I like a place with activity during the day, I was wondering if that would be best, and I am interested in any comments.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:05 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Pool table at the SL is still there but minimal daytime activity.

Taormina will probably have more traffic day and night. If you want to find company at your hotel at any time of the day then Taormina is probably more suited to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:10 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Pool table is back at SL.

a lot more ladies day and night at Taormina. Taormina ladies are a lot younger and are more prone to rob you, so be careful.

as an FYI, Taromina now has another bar area; you can go to it via the doorway to the left of the main bar (there is another way from the front too, but via the main bar is easier to explain how to get there).

I personally prefer SL, but that is more my style and laid back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:07 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

If you go to the Taormina order one bottled drink (soda or beer), pay for it on the spot do not run a tab. Then if you find someone you find interesting negotiate everything. Then take her back to your room at the Sportsmans'. Never stay or spend any more than necessary at the Taormina the current biggest rip off in town.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:28 pm 

The taxi driver I used last month told me while waiting outside at the Taormina, two locals pistol whipped him and stole his cab out in front of the Taormina. He showed me pictures of his head. So I would be careful outside of the hotel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:53 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just a regular daily activity!)
Hank wrote:
The taxi driver I used last month told me while waiting outside at the Taormina, two locals pistol whipped him and stole his cab out in front of the Taormina. He showed me pictures of his head. So I would be careful outside of the hotel

That's messed up. Scary out in front of there. I wished he had one or a couple of these for self defense:

https://nestfinesse.com/products/160651 ... 5492531300

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:48 am 

I prefer the character and charm of the SL. I actually prefer less crowded places. Also, the team at SL now know me very well since I've been going there for years and I get treated very well there. Never been to "Taormina" in its present form but used to stay there on occasions when it was Amon Plaza. Still preferred the SL.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:51 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I feel like if SL would put some money into the place and modernize the rooms they would attract a lot of more gringos and in turn bring more business. My last stay I was at Taomorina and it’s basically equivalent to a reg 3 star hotel. Basic and clean. SL I had the Leon suite a while back and it simply wasn’t comfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:40 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Last trip, was at Taormina before and after heading to Cocal at Jaco. While in SJ made the rounds and stopped by SL a few times. Girls at Taormina were much better. Negotiate ahead of time, no issues.

Bar at SL is very nice but the rooms looked run down and lacking security and privacy. I’ve never stayed at SL but I did a walk through and saw most of the rooms and the layout. I wouldn’t be comfortable staying there.