www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:01 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
When I applied in person for Global Entry in 2019 the CBP Official told me when my passport had to be renewed in 2020 I would have to re-apply in person for Global Entry (again).

Tonight when I Googled this scenario I found information on CBP web-site where you only needed to visit in person if your name has changed. If no name change then just update TPP profile with new passport information. That is what I did tonight then I activated my PASSID card (which wasn't done 2 years ago) and I am approved. Seems too easy peasy.

Has anyone else had this scenario and is this correct? Guess I'll find out when I cross back into U.S. from TJ over LDW but I'll also have my passport card in case. I just want front of the line privileges.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:43 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I renewed my passport in January and did not do anything with GE. My GE still worked on my April trip to SJO and back to the US. Went thru IAH and used the GE kiosk. When I go to TJ I only bring my GE and passport id cards. I am walking thru so no need for passport. I might go to TTP website and see if I need to update my info.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:08 am 

I went to TTP and updated my new passport info, thanks.
When I get my new drivers license soon I will also update that info on TTP.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:06 pm 

Nice JMS!

Thank you for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:48 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I just happened to get this email, I am posting below, from the government in re: renewing Global Entry yesterday. My Global Entry expires in October.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Trusted Traveler membership will be expiring soon. If you wish to renew your membership, you will need to log onto the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System website at https://ttp.dhs.gov/ to submit your renewal application. The TTP system has replaced the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES).

The TTP System website uses Login.gov for authentication. When you first use the new TTP System website you will need to create a Login.gov account if you do not already have one. For more information on Login.gov, visit https://login.gov/. Please be advised that you will no longer be able to use your GOES user ID/password to login to the TTP System.

You will need to provide your PASSID the first time you setup your profile. Your PASSID, or membership number, can be located on the back of your TTP card or on previous notification letters. This will allow the TTP System to retrieve your information to facilitate the renewal process.

Due to a significant increase in application volume, U.S. Customs and Border Protection is extending the grace period from 6 months to 1 year for any Trusted Traveler member who has a valid membership and who has submitted a renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 1 year while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:44 pm 

The extension is great. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:35 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I renewed mine a couple months ago. First renewal since signing up in 2016. I got a quick "Conditional" renewal. I've got 24 months to travel Internationally and come back into the USA. It's called Enrollment on Arrival. As I'm going thru Re-entry, a CBP Officer will check my Passport and Drivers License and do a quick interview. Then I'm Officially Renewed.
If I don't travel Internationally, then I have 24 months to schedule an in person interview at DTW or ORD.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:34 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I just renewed mines in July. They just renewed it without me having to do an interview or anything even though I checked I didn't think I'd be traveling internationally anytime soon. Didn't say it was conditional approval either just said I was renewed for another 5 years (although my passport will expire before then I believe). Perhaps they'll do that on arrival interview next time I travel internationally, but either way I'm good for now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:45 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I checked I plan on traveling Internationally. Maybe that's why I got a conditional renewal!? Bummer! Probably phucked myself!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:11 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Can submit for Global Entry (GE) renewal up to a year before GE expires. It won't alter your renewal date or shorten the effective period.

As noted in Loco Mike's posted email above, they have a "grace" period of normally 6 months after your expiration date where, if you've submitted for renewal, GE will remain active. On my 2019 renewal they extended the grace period to a year "due to a significant increase in application volume." When finally completed it had taken just over 8 months for my GE renewal, although I include in that the 19 March 2020 through 1 May 2020 "suspended operations" of their offices due to Covid.

One nuance that gave me a fit was having to list all countries visited since they include airline connections & cruise ship stops even if you didn't go through border control. Having just a flight transfer where you walk between gates means you still "set foot" in that country, and would have to list it.

Didn't have to go in for an interview this time either, despite having moving prior to the GE renewal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:16 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Just as a follow up to my previous post the entire renewal process took about 3 weeks from the time I applied for renewal until the time I received my card.

Side Note: I first got interested in Global Entry by reading other members post on CRT. The time and aggravation I have saved by enrolling in Global Entry is significant. Keep in mind that you get TSA pre check with it. If you travel internationally at least two or three times a year it is worth it. Domestically the TSA pre check also comes in handy.

For example I was traveling from Santo Domingo to FLL while Spirit was having their meltdown a couple of weeks ago. When I arrived in FLL there must have been about 400-500 people, waiting along the walls at baggage claim, to process out of the airport. Because I had GE I was able to skip the line and get out of the airport about 3 minutes after retrieving my bag. I travel about 10 times per year and this scenario repeats itself several times per year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:26 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I totally agree, Global Entry is the best $100 you can spend if you travel internationally. Five years, $20 bucks a year which includes TSA Pre-check.

Pre pandemic I was coming back from CR through ATL. The line to even get inside the room to Immigration with the ropes was 5 across and went down one long hallway, turned went another 100 yards, turned around and came back, thousands of people. Hours, would have missed my connection.

With Global Entry I went directly to a Kiosk and was out in 5 minutes. Worth the entire cost that one trip!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:59 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Hey there! Sorry for jumping into an older thread, but I'm actually looking for similar information myself. By the way, I wanted to share a personal experience related to IDs. Now, normally I'm totally against fake IDs or certificates, but there was this one time when it came in handy and saved the day. So, if you're ever curious, there's a website where you can find all sorts of IDs. But hey, let's remember to use these things responsibly and be aware of the consequences, alright? Oh, and here's the link I mentioned: https://fakeyourdrank.com/state/ohio-fake-id. Just a heads up, I'm new to this forum. So nice to meet you all!

Last edited by theresamclean on Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:44 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Just renewed my Global Entry. Took 5 minutes to do it on-line, approved in about ten days, another ten days the $100 fee showed up as a credit on my Credit Card.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:58 pm 

Just a head's up that GE only gives you a free pass at immigration. It does not let you automatically bypass Customs. Immigration's job is to verify your identity and your reason for entry. Custom's job is to prevent prohibited or untaxed items from entering the country, by search of people and what they are carrying with them, including checked luggage. The last time I came back into the country the immigration officer said I was free to lift up the yellow rope and walk right past. However... after I got my suitcase from the carousel, the guy in the next section forced me to go to a secondary screening area where they made me open it and rifled through it, presumably looking for drugs, but that's just speculation on my part.

On an unrelated note, the Clear lines at some airports are getting long, and TSA Precheck is way longer than I've seen it prior to Covid. I guess more folks than I thought don't have prior conviction records for anything...