www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:18 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

UPDATED INFO AT END OF THIS THREAD

If you did not have your DIMEX (residency) by 16-March, new rules apply when calculating your required CAJA contribution. For example, if you are a pensionado and your declared income is $3,000 a month or more, your rate jumped from 10.69% to 18.79%. So, if your declared income is $3,000 a month it goes from $320 to $560 per month. New signups only, but no word about renewals.

https://news.outlierlegal.com/2022/04/0 ... -migrants/

Summary:
Pensionados currently only contribute to the Medical portion of the CAJA, the new regs require contribution to the Medical and Retirement portion of the CAJA. Unfortunately, you can't draw pension benefits until you have paid the retirement premium for 180 months (15 years). So, if you are 65 years old, you don't get any benefit until you turn 80. By that time you will have paid $43,200 in retirement premiums.

Last edited by Boynton on Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:38 pm 

I have often considered residency but that reg definitely puts it off the table for me. No way am I paying into a retirement plan that I likely would see no or little benefit from. If the CR government is trying to discourage new residents I think they have found a great method.

I'm assuming the Caja requirements are the same for all residency classifications.

Hopefully they don't up the rates for you existing residents.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:45 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
I have often considered residency but that reg definitely puts it off the table for me. No way am I paying into a retirement plan that I likely would see no or little benefit from. If the CR government is trying to discourage new residents I think they have found a great method.

I'm assuming the Caja requirements are the same for all residency classifications.

Hopefully they don't up the rates for you existing residents.

It is actually unclear if it will apply to all classifications or just pensionado and rentista. It only applies going forward, so it does not impact those with current DIMEX cards, but nobody knows what will happen when someone renews their temp-DIMEX (2years) or changes status to perm-DIMEX. It has already taken effect and some lawyers are challenging in court.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:09 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
"By that time you will have paid $43,200 in retirement premiums."

and receive about what $100/mo. in pension from CR?

I would only declare the minimum amount of income and have something structured in U.S. to state this. Or just not become a resident.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:30 pm 

Puro Party wrote:
"By that time you will have paid $43,200 in retirement premiums."

and receive about what $100/mo. in pension from CR?

I would only declare the minimum amount of income and have something structured in U.S. to state this. Or just not become a resident.

I structured a lifetime annuity where I was able to declare just $1,000 a month and my current CAJA payment is under $100 a month. I don't own any real property (home, car, etc) and no local bank account. I also don't use the CAJA for medical services. If conditions here change, I could be gone in 12 hours or less.

You can combine monthly AirBNB rentals and rotate between 3 month stints in CR, Mexico (Puebla), Colombia (Manizales or Armenia), Brazil (Sao Paolo) and never get bored or have to file for residency. Life is full of options.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:48 pm 

I obtained my residency years ago and declared only my social security income and filled out an expense form here and pay about $50 a month for caja, have never used it, maybe one day I will for free check ups, meds, etc.

If I was staring down $200 a month or more for pathetic socialized substandard medical care, I'm looking at Nicaragua beach towns, if they want big money, I'm back in Florida, or just return to perpetual tourism and do what many of my friends do, a fun night in Granada with new hoz to investigate every 3 months...

The leaders of this country mismanage their money worse than our dear leaders, and taxing and squeezing the golden gooses until they all fly away seems to be their backwards mentality...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:45 pm 

Netgems wrote:
I obtained my residency years ago and declared only my social security income and filled out an expense form here and pay about $50 a month for caja, have never used it, maybe one day I will for free check ups, meds, etc.

If I was staring down $200 a month or more for pathetic socialized substandard medical care, I'm looking at Nicaragua beach towns, if they want big money, I'm back in Florida, or just return to perpetual tourism and do what many of my friends do, a fun night in Granada with new hoz to investigate every 3 months...

The leaders of this country mismanage their money worse than our dear leaders, and taxing and squeezing the golden gooses until they all fly away seems to be their backwards mentality...

Me, you, Shotgun Willie, and Canned Heat

https://youtu.be/qRKNw477onU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:50 pm 

https://youtu.be/qRKNw477onU[/quote]

Let's talk about "The Dutch Caribbean"...nice clean beaches and European cuisine...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitut ... _Caribbean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:06 pm 

Netgems wrote:
Boynton wrote:

https://youtu.be/qRKNw477onU

Let's talk about "The Dutch Caribbean"...nice clean beaches and European cuisine...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitut ... _Caribbean

Life is like a box of putas

St Martin is worth it just for the airport
https://youtu.be/4jW9wk_g9QY

Rumors also have it that Campo Alegre will rise again. Curacao is not just blue booze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:34 pm 

Also, everyone is thinking of this area, Central and South America, Mexico, or Thailand, the Philippines, etc., but I have been to Naples, Italy and Sicily and hoz there are amazing, not only locals who are stunning, many Sophia Loren types, and also Eastern European, Asian, and African.

Now you have variety, and cost of living and temperate weather is about the same as here...AND the food...nuff said, and pick yourself up a cheap used Alpha Romeo, there's lots of twisty roads, you'll have all types of fun rides...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:15 am 

Boynton wrote:

St Martin is worth it just for the airport
https://youtu.be/4jW9wk_g9QY

But no more 747s :(

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:33 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Italy would be a great monger destination. When was in the Navy I heard the hoz stories of them waiting outside Sigonella Naval Station up in the hills and at night they had something inside their mouths glow in the dark. :idea:

NAS Sigonella!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:23 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Boynton wrote:
If you did not have your DIMEX (residency) by 16-March, new rules apply when calculating your required CAJA contribution. For example, if you are a pensionado and your declared income is $3,000 a month or more, your rate jumped from 10.69% to 18.79%. So, if your declared income is $3,000 a month it goes from $320 to $560 per month. New signups only, but no word about renewals.

What if you don’t have much “income” but considerable assets?

1) In 10 years Social Security will have depleted the “trust fund” and taking in about 75% in taxes of what the eligible beneficiaries are entitled. No matter what anybody is getting now or was told what they will get, assume you will only get 75%.

2) Pensions are nearly extinct

3) Annuities are optional. If you have substantial savings, they won’t be necessary.

What would somebody do who won’t be receiving $3,000 in Social Security and their “income” is really them drawing down their savings on as “as needed” basis?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:34 am 

Rolleratnight wrote:
Boynton wrote:

What if you don’t have much “income” but considerable assets?

What would somebody do who won’t be receiving $3,000 in Social Security and their “income” is really them drawing down their savings on as “as needed” basis?

Read up on the laws for themselves and choose the best options for their circumstances. And/or hire a CR immigration lawyer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:54 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Has anyone heard of anyone applying for residency post-new-regulations who have had one of these $500+ Caja assessments?