www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:27 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

It appears that the CR government has made some changes to tourist visas - length of stay.

During this week's Wednesday presidential press conference, President Chaves announced the following:

The Regulations for the Granting of Visas were reformed on June 15, 2023, regarding entry to Costa Rica (articles 7, paragraph1) v 8), as well as the Immigration Regulations {number 156), increasing the maximum stay for non-residents in the tourism subcategory (Tourist Visa) from 90 to 180 days, for people from countries in the first group countries according to the General Guidelines for Entry and Permanence Visas for Non-Residents.

This appears to be factual since a friend sent me a photo of their visa stamp dated Sept 8 and it was for 180 days.

The first group include: USA, Canada and etc.

Hope this helps some of you.

Woozo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:52 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Any idea if this was at a land crossing or at an airport? The land crossings have be swamped with refugee traffic.

On a related note, there is an article in the most recent El Residente (published by ARCR) documenting the first approval of an Import Tax Exemption of a vehicle under Law 9996. Interestingly, the "Guest Article" was written by the shipping and customs facilitator (Pablo Arias, International Relocation Partner)
https://arcr.cr/wp-content/uploads/2023 ... P-2023.pdf
Page 23

FYI - I just did my first DIMEX renewal. Everything was done through the BCR Service Point at Plaza Mayor (these are not normal bank branches, but special ones dedicated to processing government docs). You have to make an appointment online and bring various documents which will vary depending on your situation. My appointment took 30 minutes and cost 80mil. I got an email 10 days later with a Digital DIMEX (a pdf with a picture of a DIMEX along with a QRCode) and one week later an email stating that my physical card was available for pickup at my local Correos (Post Office). Good for another 2 years when I can change status from Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:57 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Boynton wrote:
Any idea if this was at a land crossing or at an airport? The land crossings have be swamped with refugee traffic.

On a related note, there is an article in the most recent El Residente (published by ARCR) documenting the first approval of an Import Tax Exemption of a vehicle under Law 9996. Interestingly, the "Guest Article" was written by the shipping and customs facilitator (Pablo Arias, International Relocation Partner)
https://arcr.cr/wp-content/uploads/2023 ... P-2023.pdf
Page 23

FYI - I just did my first DIMEX renewal. Everything was done through the BCR Service Point at Plaza Mayor (these are not normal bank branches, but special ones dedicated to processing government docs). You have to make an appointment online and bring various documents which will vary depending on your situation. My appointment took 30 minutes and cost 80mil. I got an email 10 days later with a Digital DIMEX (a pdf with a picture of a DIMEX along with a QRCode) and one week later an email stating that my physical card was available for pickup at my local Correos (Post Office). Good for another 2 years when I can change status from Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident.

Mr B,

It was a US tourist at Liberia airport.

Also just renewed my DIMEX (permanent) and pretty much the same procedures at a dedicated BCR. Even fewer documents are required for permanent - only copy of current DIMEX (front and back), CAJA verification and a letter with some general information + the 80,000 colones. One must have an appointment. Took about 10 minutes with no waiting.

Woozo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:30 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

That's awesome news. I've been debating an extended stay at an apartment or condo with some remote work. 6 months way better than 3 months.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:45 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

There have been several news articles this week confirming the extension of tourist visas to 180 days. Great news for most perpetual tourists.

Q Costa Rica also ran an article that will impact a subset of those excited about fewer border runs https://qcostarica.com/driving-in-costa ... -extended/ Driving laws have not been changed to match the longer visa stays. Your ability to drive in CR on a foreign license still ends at 90 days.

It would of course make sense to change this to match the visa time period. Does anyone need a reminder how slow bureaucracy can move in CR?