www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:16 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

After living in Amon for three years, I just relocated.

First, let me say there were lots of reasons for the move. My apartment in Amon had 3-floors; garage, living/dining, bedrooms. Going up and down the stairs multiple times a day was becoming more difficult on my back and knees, so I started looking for a single level apartment with reliable elevators. Since I would be there at least three years, I wanted a walkable neighborhood with good sidewalks in case I need a wheelchair in the future. Also, since the HDR closed a lot of the "scene" moved to the Taormina. I don't mind the extra putas, but it also increased the number of homeless and addicts in the area. They are easy enough to avoid when visiting, but more of a issue when you live next door. It was more a nuisance than a security concern.

I began by looking online and found properties in Sabanilla (LoftsXL), Guayabos (Golfside), Curridabat (Torres las Loras), Sabana (Torre del Lago) and Pavas (Vistas de Nunciatura). I built a checklist of characteristics and hired Pops to go onsite and check them out for me. I also really liked Torre Paseo Colon which I consider to offer the best value, but in the end was not the best fit for me. I decided on an apartment in the Nunciatura area of Rohrmoser in Pavas District. There are a lot of embassies nearby, so it tends to be safe with plenty of restaurants but without a lot of families. A discreet monger can entertain socially presentable regulars without problem. If I feel like something less socially presentable, I use a short-term location like Oficina or a love motel like Eden. My apartment has two bedrooms, modern kitchen, etc. The building has 25+ stories, heated pool, gym, sky deck, 24x7 security, etc, etc, etc. I pay $1,100 a month

Uber fare back to the "new gulch" area can run between c2,000 and c5,000 depending on the day and time. Most times it runs around c2,500 and you learn to avoid rush hours. I get most my chicas online or via personal contacts, so my main reason to go to SL, Castillo, etc is to socialize. Those who have met me know that I am not particularly social, so a $6 round trip Uber ride is not a problem.

I am very glad I chose the barrio Amon as my first location. Lots of chicas, lots of party. Had I moved to my current location right off the bat, I think I would have been disappointed. Each monger should consider his own circumstances, but also remain flexible. The best fit for me might not be the best fit for you. In the same manner, the best fit for me today might not be the right one 3 years from now. Rent, don't buy.

Generally, my opinion is tourists should stick to SL or Castillo. New residents should get an apartment in District Cármen (Amon, Otoya, Escalante) for the first three years. If/when that gets stale, find the right place for you. My next stop, health permitting, will likely be Cartago/Paraíso. There is prime poon all over this country once you know how to hunt.

Last edited by Boynton on Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:43 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Sweet! I always liked that area and good for you to have adult entertainment in your own place without many families around!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:38 am 

Boynton wrote:

First, let me say there were lots of reasons for the move. My apartment in Amon had 3-floors; garage, living/dining, bedrooms. Going up and down the stairs multiple times a day was becoming more difficult on my back and knees, so I started looking for a single level apartment with reliable elevators. Since I would be there at least three years, I wanted a walkable neighborhood with good sidewalks in case I need a wheelchair in the future. Also, since the HDR closed a lot of the "scene" moved to the Taormina. I don't mind the extra putas, but it also increased the number of homeless and addicts in the area. They are easy enough to avoid when visiting, but more of a issue when you live next door. It was more a nuisance than a security concern.

I began by looking online and found properties in Sabanilla (LoftsXL), Guayabos (Golfside), Curridabat (Torres las Loras), Sabana (Torre del Lago) and Pavas (Vistas de Nunciatura). I built a checklist of characteristics and hired Pops to go onsite and check them out for me. I also really liked Torre Paseo Colon which I consider to offer the best value, but in the end was not the best fit for me. I decided on an apartment in the Nunciatura area of Rohrmoser in Pavas District. There are a lot of embassies nearby, so it tends to be safe with plenty of restaurants but without a lot of families. A discreet monger can entertain socially presentable regulars without problem. If I feel like something less socially presentable, I use a short-term location like Oficina or a love motel like Eden. My apartment has two bedrooms, modern kitchen, etc. The building has 25+ stories, heated pool, gym, sky deck, 24x7 security, etc, etc, etc. I pay $1,100 a month

Uber fare back to the "new gulch" area can run between c2,000 and c5,000 depending on the day and time. Most times it runs around c2,500 and you learn to avoid rush hours. I get most my chicas online or via personal contacts, so my main reason to go to SL, Castillo, etc is to socialize. Those who have met me know that I am not particularly social, so a $6 round trip Uber ride is not a problem.

I am very glad I chose the barrio Amon as my first location. Lots of chicas, lots of party. Had I moved to my current location right off the bat, I think I would have been disappointed. Each monger should consider his own circumstances, but also remain flexible. The best fit for me might not be the best fit for you. In the same manner, the best fit for me today might not be the right one 3 years from now. Rent, don't buy.

Generally, my opinion is tourists should stick to SL or Castillo. New residents should get an apartment in District Cármen (Amon, Otoya, Escalante) for the first three years. If/when that gets stale, find the right place for you. My next stop, health permitting, will likely be Cartago/Paraíso. There is prime poon all over this country once you know how to hunt.

The mountainy area in Orosi just past Lankester Botanical Gardens (in Paraiso) is probably my favorite area in CR. I spend 4 to 5 days there every visit. As I approach semi-retirement in the coming months I am strongly considering buying a lot there and building my home. I wasn't aware that there is "action" available in the Paraiso area until I read about it recently in another thread.
I've also thought how cool it might be to have a nice apartment in the Amon area but I never really found anything for rent there. Probably looking in the wrong places.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:25 am 

BondTrader wrote:
Boynton wrote:

The mountainy area in Orosi just past Lankester Botanical Gardens (in Paraiso) is probably my favorite area in CR. I spend 4 to 5 days there every visit. As I approach semi-retirement in the coming months I am strongly considering buying a lot there and building my home. I wasn't aware that there is "action" available in the Paraiso area until I read about it recently in another thread.
I've also thought how cool it might be to have a nice apartment in the Amon area but I never really found anything for rent there. Probably looking in the wrong places.

I liked living in Amon, but all of the apartments were pretty basic. The building behind the SL on calle 11 looked interesting, but I have never noticed a unit there for rent. They do have a tenant you would know.
I have mobility challenges, if not, Golfside in Guayabos would have been a strong contender. Lots of good views, depending on the unit. Convenient location, but lots of hills.
https://www.golfsidecr.com/

Here is a really good web page about apartment rental in CR.
https://www.expatden.com/costa-rica/apa ... costa-rica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:36 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

BondTrader wrote:

The mountainy area in Orosi just past Lankester Botanical Gardens (in Paraiso) is probably my favorite area in CR. I spend 4 to 5 days there every visit.
[/quote]

Do you have any recommendations for hotels, bars, restaurants?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:07 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

good post thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:18 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Where is the coolest (by temperature) place to live in Costa Rica? A place that is consistently in low 70s or lower?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:32 am 

Rolleratnight wrote:
Where is the coolest (by temperature) place to live in Costa Rica? A place that is consistently in low 70s or lower?

The Orosi Valley is certainly I option. On the other side of San Jose Sarchi is probably another good option.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:05 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

BondTrader wrote:
Rolleratnight wrote:

The Orosi Valley is certainly I option. On the other side of San Jose Sarchi is probably another good option.

Thanks so much

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:16 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

The Orosi valley gets into the 80s quite often. It's at about the same elevation as San Jose. But due to its sheltered location it feels warmer and more humid than San Jose