www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:04 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Good advice. Have a backup card. I lost my debit card years ago and although I got it replaced quickly, this is not the States. No overnight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:48 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Netgems wrote:
bfpsu12 wrote:
“I leave my SS in the states and withdraw as needed with a zero cost debit card.

Is that 0 cost including exchange, or do you just move dollars and do the exchange later if you need colones?

I can get either dollars or colones via the debit card. I also have an account here with BCR in colones. Easy to open and stock. With that I pay phone, electric, and misc expenses like groceries, lunches. You can also establish online payees for some of these things like phone or electric. The whole secret is to get a no cost debit so that you don't pay a fee for each of your transactions from the States.[/quote]”

Charles Schwab has a no foreign transaction fee debit card, correct??[/quote]

Yes, so does Cap 1 360. I like to have both here and never carry them together.

If one is stolen or lost, I would just transfer the $ to the good one and wait for a new card from the other one.

There's a lot of people down here with just one card, don't do it, lol. :mrgreen:[/quote]

Good tip on having a spare card! Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:01 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Lived in Colombia for the past 10 years, Unless I was required, I probably would do the same as I've done in Colombia if I lived in CR. I've kept my US bank accounts active since I moved here. When I need money, I just use an ATM. I use US debit and credit cards sometimes to purchase stuff and pay utility bills. I had a Colombian bank account for a few years, but closed it. Other than staying lower under the radar, I no longer have to file annual FBAR reports to the US Treasury Department as required by the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA). (You must file annually if the total of your foreign accounts exceed $10,000.)