www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:30 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I just took my first trip to San Jose / Jaco for 7 days and man, what can i Say, fell in love with the country, the outdoors, nature and its people. I am a 49y.o. guy looking to live a semi-retired life in 5-7 years as my K*ds get out of college. Have read so much on this board that real estate investment in CR is not as appealing as it sounds or appears on your visits. But was just thinking out loud that our world is going to go thru many changes Post-covid-19 and I already know many folks at my employer working out of vacation homes instead living in dead cities like NY, Philly in this covid environment. Basically remote-working or telecommuting will be the norm in coming decades as companies divest from the corporate real estate and have critical and essential staff at their facilities. That would mean people taking longer vacations where they can actually work/play at the same time as long as connectivity is decent.

Now with that premise, investing in CR may not be a bad idea as we know Men will be Men. And mongering will continue and may actually flourish in years to come if you can actually mix work with play and stay longer on your visits.

Just wanted some advise, feedback and thoughts on this topic that may be very helpful for newbies and veterans alike.

TIA and needless to say, my first trip to JACO was the best vacation of my life, previously been to DR (Puerto Plata, Boca Cica), Amsterdam, Thailand, Aruba, Estonia among other places that I have visited for mongering.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:53 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Best advice I've heard, thousands of times over, is Rent! Do Not Buy! An owned property in a Foreign Country can quickly become a millstone around your neck and wallet!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:55 am 

In the short term Costa Rica may be making some offers to encourage foreigners to relocate with things no duty on household goods, but in reality the country is in bad economic shape and is going to have to find new sources of revenue. They don't like to cut much spending and they don't like taxing the entrenched elite class in the country, eventually it may be the expats paying much more to live there.
Like most have said, rent, rent, rent.
How's your spanish, plan on learning it or you will be limited in how you blend in, if you plan to work most visas won't let you legally do so.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:53 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I live here. Your ambition and excitement seems to overwrite the reality. Do you speak Spanish? Are you applying for residency? The country, San Jose in particular, is a financial mess. 20+% unemployment which will get worst after the holidays. Sometimes on this board dreams are made of pu*sy. Be careful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:27 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Got it Gents - Thanks for candid feedback. I was thinking with my second head trying to convince myself for making this investment as I went to Punta Leone and visited some condo owners with heavenly views from their houses on the mountains overlooking the beach / ocean. Also Quepos and Manual Antonio have similar type of investment opps. Likwise most of these owners also discouraged Real estate investment in CR.

But for most part, I was trying to find an excuse to tell wifey why I am getting attached and starting to visit CR so often suddenly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:28 pm 

More bang for your buck in colombia, in more ways than one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:46 pm 

If you buy an awesome condo near the beach, then wifey will want to accompany you. Eventually, she will discover the truth and divorce you.

Dump wifey and split the assets. Your K*ds will hate/neglect you or not, but you will still be expected to pay tuition. Live like a free man.
Either that, or develop a mid-life interest in tropical insects and beetles.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:21 pm 

Tell wifey your new hobby is studying the flora and fauna of the rainforest. You can also look into becoming a volunteer or member of some wildlife refuge where they look after orphan baby monkeys etc. There are places in Quepos/Manuel Antonio and round Puerto Viejo. Do a search.
I think Gecko Travels in Puerto Viajo is involved with a shelter. They ask their customers to bring power goats milk for the orphan baby monkeys as cows milk is not good for them.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:55 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Thx Boynton- Divorce is in the cards, but my exit strategy is aligned with my K*ds getting out of college so they are independent and I have limited liability. As we know, the USA divorce laws and associated liabilities suck.
Thanks Isra for your advise also.

BTW, I invite everyone to read my Newbie trip report and any advise or suggestions by journeymen / veterans will be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:56 pm 

To paraphrase Brother Whitecat: Costa Rican Pu$$y Syndrome can cloud the Bighead's thinking process, especially regarding the Wallet! We've all suffered its effects, at one time or another. Some more than others(RollTide)!!! Be careful Fellas!
https://qcostarica.com/it-seems-we-have ... ottom-yet/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:16 pm 

Condo owners with nice homes on the mountain overlooking the ocean are more dangerous than the puxxy in Costa Rica. Be careful mi amigo. It’s all an illusion.