www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:26 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Depends on how much you want to pay. I am sure there are subscription services that have what you are looking for but I hate the stock market so I do not pay attention to it. If you want to compile the data on your own I will tell you it can be done but you are going to need a lot of programming experience to get it done quickly. There are some web scrapping programs out there that will help automate things for you but once again they come with a monthly or annual fee. You will still need some programming experience to make it easier. If you do not mind paying someone to do the work for you then you might want to get in touch with some students looking for extra money that are in computer programming classes at your local college. I would hit up the community college first. You could even post an add on craigslist or the school newspaper. Every day I pull over 1000 pages of data off the internet and use excel to keep track of it. I would not say I am an expert at excel, but I am a serious intermediate user that surprises many people whose job it is to use the program. They usually tell me not to apply where they work, as I would take their job. In other words it can be done but how much time and effort do you want to put into it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:43 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I would add to that:

Depends on how much you want to pay. I am sure there are subscription services that have what you are looking for but I hate the stock market so I do not pay attention to it. If you want to compile the data on your own I will tell you it can be done but you are going to need a lot of programming experience to get it done quickly. There are some web scrapping programs out there that will help automate things for you but once again they come with a monthly or annual fee. You will still need some programming experience to make it easier. If you do not mind paying someone to do the work for you then you might want to get in touch with some students looking for extra money that are in computer programming classes at your local college. I would hit up the community college first. You could even post an add on craigslist or the school newspaper. Every day I pull over 1000 pages of data off the internet and use excel to keep track of it. I would not say I am an expert at excel, but I am a serious intermediate user that surprises many people whose job it is to use the program. They usually tell me not to apply where they work, as I would take their job. In other words it can be done but how much time and effort do you want to put into it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:04 am 

Youtube University is an awesome place but it takes time to find what you need. You will need to learn some VBA code of which there are tons of examples you can find with a simple search. I do not mind giving you some guidance. I have learned the hard way with VBA that it corrupts your workbooks if you are not extremely careful. I now keep my code on their own worksheets, I insert a module in VBA, then copy and paste my different code to run. Before I close the workbook I delete the code in the module then remove the module from the workbook. The other thing after you have saved your workbook go to the FORMULAS TAB, and click on NameManager. DELETE all items that do not say WORKBOOK under the SCOPE field. Depending on how many items you are deleting it can take a while to finish. If you do not do this you will end up with so many items in your Name Manager that are not being used that just make searching more difficult. It is a pain but I have not had to recover a workbook in a long time. Are you remotely familiar with excel at all? What version are you (Will you be) using. The other thing that is awesome is the Macro Recorder under the DEVELOPER TAB. It does add a lot of extra code to your macros but it is easy to clean up, and makes writing macro code much easier. Some web pages you will find are not the most Excel friendly but there are usually work arounds that once done you are pretty much set until they change the webpage. Post a link to a web page that has data you like and I will take a look at it and let you know what I think. The simpler the webpage the better. If there is a bunch of Java or other bs running it sometimes makes it impossible to get the data.

here are a couple of forums that are helpful for finding code help:
https://www.mrexcel.com/board/
https://www.excelforum.com/
Also look up Web Scraping and a programming language Python

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:24 am 

Message your Broker or download from their website. That's how I do it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:52 am 

nosejelly wrote:
Message your Broker or download from their website.

I fired my broker's company after she was charged with some crimes she is still in prison for, and switched to doing my own trading. After getting flagged as a daytrader and having to jump through the hoops that Etrade made me go thru, I got fed up with the bull shit and the taxes I had to pay on my risks, I exited the stock market and do not care to ever do it again. I think it is completely unfair that I was taking all the risk but our government was wanting a nice payday for doing nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:18 am 

Last edited by Boynton on Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:44 am 

Boynton wrote:
Acquire a frequency meter and cross connect it to your cell phone jammer, run it through the universal transmorgrifier to develop an optimized bitcoin strategy. Easy peasy, mailbox money!

Touché... That wins a Golden Ticket. Say Hi to Charlie for me.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:21 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
nosejelly wrote:
Message your Broker or download from their website.

I fired my broker's company after she was charged with some crimes she is still in prison for, and switched to doing my own trading. After getting flagged as a daytrader and having to jump through the hoops that Etrade made me go thru, I got fed up with the bull shit and the taxes I had to pay on my risks, I exited the stock market and do not care to ever do it again. I think it is completely unfair that I was taking all the risk but our government was wanting a nice payday for doing nothing.

So watcha got your dough in? bank? coffee can? matress? bonds?
For me, my broker/advisor fees are worth it. They generate me a good income stream without huge taxes or undue attention.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:57 pm 

Last edited by Boynton on Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:09 pm 

Last edited by Boynton on Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:07 pm 

nosejelly wrote:
For me, my broker/advisor fees are worth it. They generate me a good income stream without huge taxes or undue attention.

I deal mostly with cash and precious metals, but still have some real estate, both residential and commercial. I do some private money lending as well for people that have no other options, or do not want a lender crawling up their ass with a microscope. Those are mostly short term well secured loans or on property that I would not mind owning if they do not pay.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:49 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Tradestation has some of the best historical data. Of course you need to have an account there to gain access.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:14 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
nosejelly wrote:

I deal mostly with cash and precious metals, but still have some real estate, both residential and commercial. I do some private money lending as well for people that have no other options, or do not want a lender crawling up their ass with a microscope. Those are mostly short term well secured loans or on property that I would not mind owning if they do not pay.

Nice! I do some safe cash positions but have not held metals since 2009. I've never had the balls to try private lending. It's an interesting option. And coincidentally, your plan sounds even better after the beating I took in the Market today! :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:59 am 

Time Horizon is the function of dollar cost averaging!