www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:47 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Last edited by Boynton on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:49 pm 

I've done over 20 weeks there... usually 4 weeks at a time, 4 hours per day, 4 days per week. That's max for my brain.

I really like the school... I have often been in classes that may have been a lot of review...but that strengthens my Spanish due to the immersion aspect, and they watch fairly closely and will move you to another class if it's too easy. They also go through the same material, but at a faster pace when its more for review.

Be a serious student there...don't try to hit on staff or other students... and they may have an idea what you are doing in the country...but best to actually do other things and have a life outside the gulch, and I don't think they will care that much.

It's been a few years now since I've been there.. I would like to go back and see if I can add a bit to move closer to being fluent.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:37 pm 

I had never done any sort of learning like this and almost backed out of it since I was enrolled in my community college for my first semester. I am glad I went but I was disappointed in that I was looking forward to getting into one or more of the cooking classes and dance classes they offer. The classes were always full by the time I got there though. I figured out that the students that were only taking 3 or 4 hours a day were the ones that were filling the classes. Other than that I found it a great experience and was planning on taking more classes but since I met my fiance, I now learn with her......

I would estimate they have probably close to 30-40 classrooms which are about 10X20 in size, and at max, you would have maybe a total of 8 students. They have a little cafeteria there where you can get some hot food or snacks during the break, and unlimited coffee that was pretty good. Lunchtime, I would walk to the Mall which is like 2 blocks away and hit the food court then walk back. You have an hour for lunch so it's close and easy. I was tempted to take one of their weekend getaways as they were headed to Monteverde and it only cost about 45.00 for the weekend including the bus ride and meals. I decided against it though as I like to do as I wish and not belong to someone else's schedule. Besides, that would take away a couple of days chasing tail and to me, that was more important.

I did go out on two Fridays with some of my classmates and hit some clubs in the San Pedro area. The Jazz Cafe was one of the great finds from there, and some of the other college hangouts too. I was in my mid 40's at the time, and look young for my age, so I could somewhat fit in. Now had I been in my 30's, that would have been my new hunting grounds.