www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Denizen Global Account
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:20 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I thought someone might find this pertinent. I don't know anything about it other than it's supposed to be an expat banking account.

Just search: Denizen Global Account

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:54 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I have a good ole' Schwab account based in the USA, as well as a recent try out additional back up Capital 1 account. Doesn't look like they do anything Schwab doesn't do. Currently available in Spain and USA only.

Scheduled to be available in European countries in the next year. New, inexperienced, based in Spain, I'm unimpressed, feel safe with Schwab and Cap 1.

Schwab lets you w draw up to $500 per transaction, total 1g per day, this outfit has some fees for various things as well. Pulled $300 out of Schwab a few days ago, Am-Pm 1 block East of HDR , atm fee $4.95, in 48 hours or less, $4.95 was back in...

In any event, this risky foreign startup is not in CR, Nica or Colombia. Two thumbs down :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:07 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I use the Schwab acct too and have been very pleased.

Denizen is registered as a "Payment account" rather than as a bank. So it is not subject to banking regulations.

My assumption is that means it would not have any guarantee for return of your money if Denizen fails.

If it adds in Latin America, it could be useful for transferring small amounts, but I would not leave a large balance in it...unless the regulatory/guarantee issue is resolved.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:02 pm 

CRFan wrote:

Denizen is registered as a "Payment account" rather than as a bank. So it is not subject to banking regulations.

My assumption is that means it would not have any guarantee for return of your money if Denizen fails.

If it adds in Latin America, it could be useful for transferring small amounts, but I would not leave a large balance in it...unless the regulatory/guarantee issue is resolved.

I may be missing something, maybe someone here with more experience in money movement between countries than me could 'splain it. I'm missing out on a reason to use them, maybe to hide money if you get into a fix and they can find out your Schwab or Cap 1 account, since they are obscure, but other than that, if you don't anticipate getting chased down for $$$ by the fed, irs or your ex, I wouldn't have any use for them and view them as risky.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:27 am 

Netgems wrote:
CRFan wrote:

I may be missing something, maybe someone here with more experience in money movement between countries than me could 'splain it. I'm missing out on a reason to use them, maybe to hide money if you get into a fix and they can find out your Schwab or Cap 1 account, since they are obscure, but other than that, if you don't anticipate getting chased down for $$$ by the fed, irs or your ex, I wouldn't have any use for them and view them as risky.

No fees and speed of transaction, I believe. I used to transfer funds regularly from a bank acct in Europe to a bank acct in the US. Each transfer was pretty costly in bank transfer fees.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:40 am 

CRFan wrote:
Netgems wrote:
CRFan wrote:

No fees and speed of transaction, I believe. I used to transfer funds regularly from a bank acct in Europe to a bank acct in the US. Each transfer was pretty costly in bank transfer fees.

I get that from Schwab, and Cap 1 promises it, I've yet to try Cap 1, I assume they're backing it up, but Schwab does this for it's clients. Plus the fact it was said they're technically not a bank so if they disintegrate in an economic downturn, you won't be able to go to Spain and demand your money...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:38 pm 

Netgems wrote:
I may be missing something, maybe someone here with more experience in money movement between countries than me could 'splain it. I'm missing out on a reason to use them...
I get that from Schwab, and Cap 1 promises it, I've yet to try Cap 1, I assume they're backing it up, but Schwab does this for it's clients. Plus the fact it was said they're technically not a bank so if they disintegrate in an economic downturn, you won't be able to go to Spain and demand your money...

The lack of guarantee of funds safety is exactly what I've mentioned from the start as a huge point of concern.

I'll take a shot at 'splainin the transfer question.

The Schwab account allows you to extract funds from your Schwab acct without fees at an atm from wherever you are. Although that is what works for your needs, it is NOT the same thing as being able to transfer funds between different country accounts without a fee.

I pay a fee even to transfer funds between my US acct at BOA and Schwab. This is not the same thing as taking funds out at an atm...it's a transfer of funds between bank accounts.

Different folks have different needs, depending on their situation. Personally, I see the niche that Denizen could provide a valuable distinct service...but I remain unconvinced of the security...and I don't trust that any app based system won't share my data inappropriately.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:38 pm 
I'm not switching; unless, something better comes along. I'll monitor Denizen but more than likely, if ever needed, will go to Capital 1. I always recommend Schwab to people. ESPECIALLY, if they travel internationally.

One time I lost my ATM card, and the solutions provided did not work. I told Schwab over the phone I'll just use my credit card until my new card arrives. Schwab gave me $15 to cover any fees associated with using my credit card.

I had ZERO fees using my credit card. I made $15. If you open an account w/ Schwab and don't fund it, keep waiting. The end of the year they usually have some sort of incentive. This year it was $200. As long as you had deposits worth $2500 by the end of the year. Schwab will deposit $200 into your checking account. I think they released the email mid-November.

I'd like to know if other companies do that. To date, I have made more money off my checking account than any bank has paid me in interest.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:40 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Global accounts aren't use to keep your savings. It is for receiving, sending, and converting different currencies at a low rate. Some will offer a prepaid debit/credit card. Denizen is model on the Transferwise Borderless Account.
https://transferwise.com/gb/borderless/010318

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:35 pm