www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:13 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Jackietrehorn wrote:
We have ZERO knowledge of Trumps Latin American policy. ZERO.

We have ZERO knowledge about the guy period, other than he could talk his way into presidency against an extremely vulnerable candidate and needs to fire whoever is in charge of dying his hair and administering his spray tans. That`s it. Buckle up and enjoy the ride. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:37 am 

meet the new boss... same as the old boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgubG-MOPT4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:34 am 

Express321 wrote:
Jackietrehorn wrote:

We have ZERO knowledge about the guy period, other than he could talk his way into presidency against an extremely vulnerable candidate :D

Exactly like your ACORN Community Organizer who had his law license revoked!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:09 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

BangBang57 wrote:
I have lived here for 11 years and love it. But I have never understood the rational of Costa Rica's import taxes. They charge 40 to75% tax on almost all imported items. And this includes some of the highest taxes being on items they do not or cannot produce in country. Therefore, often it is not a tax on items that would be competing with locally produced items. And now they are worried that Trump might impose a 35% tax on items coming from Costa Rica to the USA! :roll:

And I know that the high import taxes are their way of generating much of their revenue, but as is so often the case, especially in Latin countries, it is a tax designed to benefit the rich the most (they do not pay nearly as much in taxes as they would have to if the government was more dependent on other forms of taxes (income or business taxes). And it keeps the poor "down" and makes it almost impossible for them to buy many imported items. And everyone, whether they are living on minimum wage (often less than $100 a week) or make $1000 a week (or more) pays the same percentage tax when buying an imported item. A 32 inch cheap, off brand TV costs around $300 here (even in Walmart!). A car that can be bought for $20,000 in the States will cost around $35000 here.

In talking to many Ticos here it was very evident they, for the most part, were very pro Clinton! Why?? Though they seldom would say it nor admit to it, it was their fear that Trump would cut off the flow of aid, assistance, support, and giveaways to Costa Rica. They had no concept as to the real Clinton nor Trump. It was based solely on their fear of loosing the freebies!!!! And I am sure this is/was the case in most countries of the world!!

BB

Your information is old and out dated. Taxes on imported items have come down drastically. CR does tax income but mainly focuses on luxury goods (cars, tv, telephones...) Real estate taxes are almost zero in CR. A good system as i do not spend on luxury goods

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:11 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Rico1040 wrote:
http://qcostarica.com/oscar-arias-on-trump-the-u-s-chose-the-most-ignorant-candidate/

The ex president of costa rica has opined !!!

IMHO this guy is possibly confused. He presided over a country that imposes high import duties, as Bang Bang pointed out, instead of encouraging small manufacturing startups to create jobs in the country. Foreign money pours into Costa Rica to build high rises that sit fairly empty, and the drug problem is getting worse.
The public health system is very crowded, and the infrastructure is riddled with potholes. Illegal immigration from the north is rampant.
Everything Trump has pointed out and proposes to fix, exists right here in CR.

I just don't understand his point of view

He is rich and most of his money is not held in CR. He benefits from a depressed economy here

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:40 pm 

costareeker wrote:
Express321 wrote:
Jackietrehorn wrote:

We have ZERO knowledge about the guy period, other than he could talk his way into presidency against an extremely vulnerable candidate :D

Exactly like your ACORN Community Organizer who had his law license revoked!!!

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/06/the-ob ... -licenses/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:52 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Costareeker must love to go back to September 2008 and prior. The good ole days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:51 pm 

AlNyc wrote:
Costareeker must love to go back to September 2008 and prior. The good ole days.

How was the Cornell Cry-in? Did you go thru a whole box of Kleenex while in Mamby-Pamby Land expressing yourself & your hatred for Trump? Funny, I don't remember any 'Cry-ins' or Libtardesque 'Protests' (you know, the kind of protests that involve breaking windows, throwing stuff at police, beating reporters, turning over cars, starting fires, that kind of 'protest'!!) in Nov 2008!!

You Libtards must be very proud of the 'Peacful Protesters'!!

CostaReeker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:08 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

First of all you don't know me! I consider myself a moderate! This is my voting record, voted for Reagan over Mondale in 84, Bush over Dukakis in 88, Clinton over Bush in 92, Gore over Bush, Bush over Kerry, Obama over McCain, Obama over Romney and Clinton over Trump. So does that make me Liberal??? No! I'm a realist who listen to both side. Do you remember what happened in September 2008???? I guess not. I had friends who worked for Lehman Bros. and Goldman Sacs who lost their jobs because of the financial meltdown. So get out of the bubble. Good at.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:16 pm 

As a Canadian I want to thank our Southern neighbor for not making the world endure 4 years of screeching Hillary.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:56 am 

Express321 wrote:

I stand corrected! If it's on the internet, then I guess it has to be true!

CostaReeker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:27 am 

AlNyc wrote:
First of all you don't know me! I consider myself a moderate! This is my voting record, voted for Reagan over Mondale in 84, Bush over Dukakis in 88, Clinton over Bush in 92, Gore over Bush, Bush over Kerry, Obama over McCain, Obama over Romney and Clinton over Trump. So does that make me Liberal??? No! I'm a realist who listen to both side. Do you remember what happened in September 2008???? I guess not. I had friends who worked for Lehman Bros. and Goldman Sacs who lost their jobs because of the financial meltdown. So get out of the bubble. Good at.

"First of all you don't know me!" either. Did you stay up late night looking to pick a fight by baiting me with some unreferenced event that happened just before Osama took office? I'm sure there were a gazillion things that happened in Sept '08 that you didn't mention but likewise were unreferenced in this thread. Am I supposed to feel sorry for your friends that lost their jobs? I don't! They are 1000's of hard working Americans that have lost their jobs under Osamas 8 yr reign of terror that I do have a lot more sympathy for than some overpaid Wall Street trader who got caught up in the subprime mortgage fiasco and all of the negligence and malfeasance in handling their accounts. So again, no sympathy for your friends or Lehman Bros & GS!!! Next time you wonder if I remember something, be a bit more specific before throwing out an isolated event that has yet gone unmentioned in the thread!

Just beacuse Ki-LIAR-y lost, there is no reason for you to pick a fight with me! If you are a Moderate (you certainly are leaning Left!), as you claim to be, then you should have no problem with giving Trump a chance. He certainly can be no worse than what we have had the last 8 years! I hope you find peace with whatever anger inspired your keyboard attack of me, in the next 4 years!!

Peace,
CostaReeker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:39 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Let me ask you something, were you this angry at Bush??

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:53 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Mkink wrote:
BangBang57 wrote:
I have lived here for 11 years and love it. But I have never understood the rational of Costa Rica's import taxes. They charge 40 to75% tax on almost all imported items. And this includes some of the highest taxes being on items they do not or cannot produce in country. Therefore, often it is not a tax on items that would be competing with locally produced items. And now they are worried that Trump might impose a 35% tax on items coming from Costa Rica to the USA! :roll:

And I know that the high import taxes are their way of generating much of their revenue, but as is so often the case, especially in Latin countries, it is a tax designed to benefit the rich the most (they do not pay nearly as much in taxes as they would have to if the government was more dependent on other forms of taxes (income or business taxes). And it keeps the poor "down" and makes it almost impossible for them to buy many imported items. And everyone, whether they are living on minimum wage (often less than $100 a week) or make $1000 a week (or more) pays the same percentage tax when buying an imported item. A 32 inch cheap, off brand TV costs around $300 here (even in Walmart!). A car that can be bought for $20,000 in the States will cost around $35000 here.

In talking to many Ticos here it was very evident they, for the most part, were very pro Clinton! Why?? Though they seldom would say it nor admit to it, it was their fear that Trump would cut off the flow of aid, assistance, support, and giveaways to Costa Rica. They had no concept as to the real Clinton nor Trump. It was based solely on their fear of loosing the freebies!!!! And I am sure this is/was the case in most countries of the world!!

BB

Your information is old and out dated. Taxes on imported items have come down drastically. CR does tax income but mainly focuses on luxury goods (cars, tv, telephones...) Real estate taxes are almost zero in CR. A good system as i do not spend on luxury goods

I am not going to get into an argument here with a guy that "knows everything Costa Rica :roll: " but for the rest of you:

Two months ago I bought a Sankey 32 inch "smart" TV and last week I bought a Samsung refrigerator, both from the same business in the DUTY-FREE in Golfito. Both were between 45% and 50% less than the price at the same business here in San Jose (not duty-free). Yes, about 5 years ago the difference would have been about 70% . BUT in my opinion that is still very high. And it is the reason many low wage earner homes here still do not even have a small refrigerator and only have a small old style TV. JMHO!!!

OH, and in this day and time, I do not consider either of these to be "Luxury items"!! Well, the TV-maybe a little, but the frige, NO WAY!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:58 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Nearly all countries try to keep their balance of payments in check with other countries because they have very little to export. If they allowed more imports in than they can pay for the country will soon be bankcrupt. So they have high duties and taxes on luxuary goods hoping to keep demand down.
Refregarators should be a necessity but so far CR does not think so.
Only the US can run up absurd budget deficts so that shops are flooded with goods most people do not need. Let us pray the bubble does not burst in our life time.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next