www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:08 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Thanks this was a lot of good info. I definitely would rent before buying. I have only Been to CR once and I plan on visiting a lot more first but I wanted to know here to start looking around way ahead of time. I am going to look at those budgets you guys mentioned that people post on line. I was going to make another trip in October but I may be changing jobs in the next month which will delay me.

As for not looking like a tourist I already do that. When I visited CR like when I visit my brother in NYC I don't wear a watch and hide my phone. I wear plain clothing without logos or expensive sneakers. I wear darker colors like blues and greys and black. I do not wear bright orange T shirts that say Florida. In NYC I walk like I know where I am going even if I am lost.
I ran a vending machine route in Florida for almost 12years and drove a big delivery truck. Since it was an all cash biz I had to be aware of what was going on around me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:05 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Good advise to rent for a while. You are new to the country. You'd be surprised that living in a hotel for while is a great way to learn the lay of the land. For example, the morazon hotel will be about $1,200 a month including breakfast and daily maid service. a good place to start.
It takes time to get to know this country. I always say 'there's no owner's manual", and you get different answers from people for the same question.
Firstly, don't isolate yourself in some out of the way place just to save a few bucks, secondly you will most likely get tired of downtown after a while. Let's face it . You will want to meet normal costa ricans working in an office or such.
I know people who live downtown near Morazon Park and love it. Personally I can only take downtown a little bit each week or month. I live near Sabana Park for a grand a month, and downtown is very close. 3mil or less with Uber. It's also very close to Heredia, Sta Ana, Walmart and Multiplaza in Escazu. As I get to meet new friends and know the area a little better, who knows where I might move.
There are many inexpensive places $250-600 but it depends on your lifestyle, security concerns, and how you want to live life.
Don't fall in love for at least a year, lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:28 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

A more reasonable budget:

Rent and utilities $1,200 ( includes, great view, security , internet, weekly cleaning, pool, gym )
Groceries 600 ( $20 a day. heck, a six pack of beer is $8 a day, lol)
Alimony for old ex 700 (luckily, it is not permanent )
Support for new 'friend' 500 (poor thing, lives in desamparados and has no food in the house )
New nookie exploration 200 ( MP's and occasional offer of a beer at the hotel )
Downtown excursions 200 ( food and drinks at SL, Z2, ML, HRD )
Car, Cab, Uber 150 (gas, maintenance, annual registration and inspection )
Netflix and CR phone 50
Reserve for 90 day plane tix 150 ( gotta renew that stamp. or go to Nicaragua for $ 200 )
Reserve for emergencies 200

Total $ 3,950

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:31 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Rico1040 wrote:
Good advise to rent for a while. You are new to the country. You'd be surprised that living in a hotel for while is a great way to learn the lay of the land. For example, the morazon hotel will be about $1,200 a month including breakfast and daily maid service. a good place to start.
l

Any other recommendations for monthly rate hotel?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:54 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

You have to negotiate directly with each hotel administration...even HDR will do a weekly/monthly deal. You have to talk to management and make an offer. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:25 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Try Scotland apts.......chica friendly.