www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:29 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

...and the "managed float" or managed manipulation may continue, even if the BCCR can't get their story straight.

http://insidecostarica.com/2015/09/18/p ... bank-says/

We will see when it blows up :shock: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:34 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

bandon843 wrote:
...and the "managed float" or managed manipulation may continue, even if the BCCR can't get their story straight.

http://insidecostarica.com/2015/09/18/p ... bank-says/

Good for americans and business that catering to americans (at least in the short term)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:15 pm 

bandon843 wrote:

*IF* it blows up. You guys keep talking doom and dispair like so many other false prophets. The banks will do what is necessary to maintain the status quo, and nothing short of another 2008 will cause any major damage.

It would be better to spend your time predicting the next 2008 collapse, and time your investments accordingly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:09 pm 

No doom and despair BD, just reality.

The Colon in at least 30% overvalued vs. other regional emerging currencies. This only makes CR less competitive as a tourism destination, not only in the Americas but also worldwide.

The currency comments have nothing to do with 2008 or the capital markets in general. This is only a CR applicable opinion. The colon true value will eventually emerge, and it will be quite a bit lower than today. at that time, CR will be a much more attractive market for international investors and tourists (sexual and otherwise :lol: ).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:03 pm 

bandon843 wrote:

The Colon in at least 30% overvalued vs. other regional emerging currencies. This only makes CR less competitive as a tourism destination, not only in the Americas but also worldwide.

The currency comments have nothing to do with 2008 or the capital markets in general. This is only a CR applicable opinion. The colon true value will eventually emerge, and it will be quite a bit lower than today. at that time, CR will be a much more attractive market for international investors and tourists (sexual and otherwise :lol: ).

What are you basing this prediction on? You have secret insider knowledge, or are there articles out there by finance and currency trading professionals that are watching this?

Here it is bud: all I hear is a bunch of mongers talking like they know international finance inside out. I would like to read about the situation, but I don't find any {english} articles that support any claims of massive overvaluation. I'm not saying yer wrong, I'm just asking if there exists any serious readable discussion on the topic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:02 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

BashfulDwarf wrote:
bandon843 wrote:

What are you basing this prediction on? You have secret insider knowledge, or are there articles out there by finance and currency trading professionals that are watching this?

Here it is bud: all I hear is a bunch of mongers talking like they know international finance inside out. I would like to read about the situation, but I don't find any {english} articles that support any claims of massive overvaluation. I'm not saying yer wrong, I'm just asking if there exists any serious readable discussion on the topic.

Wed. the Minister of Finance said devaluation. Thur. the BCR put out a contradictory press release.

September 18th, 2015 (ICR News) In an official statement sent to ICR News on Thursday, Costa Rica’s Central Bank said it has no plans to intervene in the exchange rate of the colón, despite statements made to the press on Wednesday by acting Minister of Finance, Jose Francisco Pacheco in which Pacheco stated that the Bank and finance officials were considering a devaluation of the currency.

I would guess devaluation but they want to do it as a surprise.
Here you go BD http://insidecostarica.com/2015/09/18/p ... bank-says/
another and their are many crhoy.com/banco-central-debe-bajar-mas-las-tasas-de-interes/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:39 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

BashfulDwarf wrote:
bandon843 wrote:

*IF* it blows up. You guys keep talking doom and dispair like so many other false prophets. The banks will do what is necessary to maintain the status quo, and nothing short of another 2008 will cause any major damage.

It would be better to spend your time predicting the next 2008 collapse, and time your investments accordingly.

MPO only

I believe the bank will allow a CONTROLLED devaluation over the next two years. The lack of movement is obviously a manipulation by the Central Bank.

My Predictions

555 = $1 by year end

600 = $1 by june next year

650 = $1 by end of 2016

again good for those visiting CR and Business owners ( in the short term). The Central Bank will avoid large swings in valuation like we saw at the beginning of 2015. Not good for anyone.

again JMO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:49 am 

Mkink wrote:
BashfulDwarf wrote:
bandon843 wrote:

MPO only

I believe the bank will allow a CONTROLLED devaluation over the next two years. The lack of movement is obviously a manipulation by the Central Bank.

My Predictions

555 = $1 by year end

600 = $1 by june next year

650 = $1 by end of 2016

again good for those visiting CR and Business owners ( in the short term). The Central Bank will avoid large swings in valuation like we saw at the beginning of 2015. Not good for anyone.

again JMO

I agree Mkink...that would be a good scenario for all involved. I think the problem might be if the BCCR continues to hold off the adjustment, the devaluation might be sharper and create a shock to the economy. Not good for anyone :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:12 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

http://cnnespanol.cnn.com/2015/10/08/la ... desploman/

according to this, the colone is increasing invalue against other countries in the region. i wonder if the exchange rate to the dollar is operating independently. ??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:02 pm 

Rico1040 wrote:
http://cnnespanol.cnn.com/2015/10/08/la-moneda-de-costa-rica-aumenta-de-valor-otras-en-la-region-se-desploman/

according to this, the colone is increasing invalue against other countries in the region. i wonder if the exchange rate to the dollar is operating independently. ??

Hey Rico, don't post positive articles on this thread. This place is reserved solely for the imminent collapse of the Colón! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:39 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

We are not bashful, now are we ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:04 pm 

By keeping their colon more or less constant vs the US Dollar they are losing everyone else other than Americans. For me, from Canada, it is 35-40% more expensive in Costa Rica compared to 2 years ago. Simply because the Canadian dollar has gone down vs the US, hence the CRC.

The tourism dollars are primarily from the US. But the US dollar also goes a lot further in other competitive places than it does in CR. So that lures American tourists to other countries with currency that has dropped against the US dollar. Colombia being an example.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:03 pm 

As long as the reaction on the street won't be the girls all stand firm on the dreaded cien issue, we'll all be ok.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:13 am 

Zeos wrote:
By keeping their colon more or less constant vs the US Dollar they are losing everyone else other than Americans. For me, from Canada, it is 35-40% more expensive in Costa Rica compared to 2 years ago. Simply because the Canadian dollar has gone down vs the US, hence the CRC.

The tourism dollars are primarily from the US. But the US dollar also goes a lot further in other competitive places than it does in CR. So that lures American tourists to other countries with currency that has dropped against the US dollar. Colombia being an example.

That is correct...they are clearly pricing themselves out of the market. This will eventually lead to a big, sharp devaluation which will hurt the entire local economy. The CR economy simply cannot sustain this level of colon overvaluation long term, not with a negative trade balance.

JMHO, BD...hopefully we will all see how it plays out!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:11 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

This article was back in January. They said they would not intervene with currency devaluation unless abnormal conditions. Obviously another type you cannot trust in this country.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ases-brake

Pura Vida! Close to living the dream.