www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:05 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I have no interest in reading the article. My post was based on my general knowledge about economics and my specific knowledge about the colon exchange rate. For years, it has not been allowed to fluctuate freely based on the market forces. You just can't keep doing this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:05 pm 

hotnutsjesus wrote:
Devaluation is the same thing as inflation, if you take inflation to mean a general increase in the level of prices (which is a common error in definitions but that's another story).

... but I know that when a burger and fries in CR costs double what it costs in North America, and the average salary here is about 1/3 of NA, then the currency is out of whack.

CR is experiencing DEFLATION along with the US right now ...

You cannot use foreign-based cusine as a measure of currency 'worth'. I can still get rice and beans cheaper in CR than I can on the streets of Fort Lauderdale. :mrgreen:

Seriously, the prices of commodities in the street is not directly related to the value of the currency. Signs of inflation, yes. Tariffs, yes. Price controls, yes. But the exchange value to the dollar, not really.

I can understand, based upon what has been posted recently, a devaluation of the colón, but I am still amiss regarding the statements of 'propping up' the currency, and artificially controlling it for the benefit of the ruling class. Unless 'pegging' is what we are talking about here, I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:09 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

bandon843 wrote:
The objective and purpose of the manipulation is to keep prices of all imports (almost everything in CR) as low as possible for as long as possible for the local salaried ranks (the large majority of Ticos). BTW, the politicians have lucked out with the low price of oil, for now. If it wasn't for this huge break, the colon would have blown up quite a while ago.

Look at the social pressures (strikes/protests, higher criminal activity) that have been building in the local society the last few years…prices, in colones, for everything are up, salaries are not keeping up, the government is running an expanding deficit…while the politicians attempt to maintain prices stable against these pressures. It is not sustainable long term!

Yet the price, or exchange rate, of the US dollar remain "pegged".

The colon will suffer a steep devaluation (30%+) soon, sooner if interest rates start going up in the US later this year or in early 2016.

Just watch it...

FACT NOT HYSTERICAL FICTION
Current inflation "Annual inflation measured from October 2014 to September 2015 was -0.86%" crhoy.com/inflacion-interanual-lleva-3-meses-con-signo-negativo/
The crime rate has nothing to do with social unrest. It is all about distribution of drugs and their gangs.

Last edited by WiseAsh on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:12 pm 

BashfulDwarf wrote:
CR is experiencing DEFLATION along with the US right now ...

That's what is says on paper. Ask the locals if they feel that there is deflation.

BashfulDwarf wrote:
You cannot use foreign-based cusine as a measure of currency 'worth'. I can still get rice and beans cheaper in CR than I can on the streets of Fort Lauderdale. :mrgreen:

I guess you weren't a econ major.

http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:03 pm 

WiseAsh wrote:
bandon843 wrote:
The objective and purpose of the manipulation is to keep prices of all imports (almost everything in CR) as low as possible for as long as possible for the local salaried ranks (the large majority of Ticos). BTW, the politicians have lucked out with the low price of oil, for now. If it wasn't for this huge break, the colon would have blown up quite a while ago.

Look at the social pressures (strikes/protests, higher criminal activity) that have been building in the local society the last few years…prices, in colones, for everything are up, salaries are not keeping up, the government is running an expanding deficit…while the politicians attempt to maintain prices stable against these pressures. It is not sustainable long term!

Yet the price, or exchange rate, of the US dollar remain "pegged".

The colon will suffer a steep devaluation (30%+) soon, sooner if interest rates start going up in the US later this year or in early 2016.

Just watch it...

FACT NOT HYSTERICAL FICTION
Current inflation "Annual inflation measured from October 2014 to September 2015 was -0.86%" crhoy.com/inflacion-interanual-lleva-3-meses-con-signo-negativo/
The crime rate has nothing to do with social unrest. It is all about distribution of drugs and their gangs.

The Costa Rica politicians, like those anywhere, have a very convenient way of measuring inflation. They create what is determined to be a basic basket of goods or "canasta basica", as it is known in Costa Rica. Then they determine inflation as the price change of the average cost of this basket. Well that is not real life!

Like I mentioned before, gasoline is a component of this basket (along with rice, cooking oil, etc.) and its temporary decrease in price has dragged down the cost of the canasta basica significantly this past year...thus your number above.

However, and most importantly, look at the REAL cost of life in CR the last year, the cost of living of a regular Tico family, and you will see a very different inflation picture! This picture is real life. Costs going up, salaries stagnant. And yes, this does lead to populist instigated social unrest and an increase in crime.

CR needs to allow its currency to reach a natural balance and create more opportunities by accurately reflecting the cost of doing business and investing in the country, to both domestic and foreign investors. This will benefit all in the long term.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:54 pm 

http://www.drfurfero.com/jokes/eco.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:08 pm 

bandon843 wrote:
However, and most importantly, look at the REAL cost of life in CR the last year, the cost of living of a regular Tico family, and you will see a very different inflation picture! This picture is real life. Costs going up, salaries stagnant.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:17 pm 

Orange wrote:
bandon843 wrote:
However, and most importantly, look at the REAL cost of life in CR the last year, the cost of living of a regular Tico family, and you will see a very different inflation picture! This picture is real life. Costs going up, salaries stagnant.

+1

Minimum wages go up twice a year, by law.
It's not that I don't believe you, but point me to real evidence, not an opinion, so that I can be better informed. Thanks

Last edited by WiseAsh on Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:39 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Does this also mean the minimum wage goes up twice a year?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:46 pm 

Barrett4444 wrote:
Does this also mean the minimum wage goes up twice a year?

Yes, it's the minimum wages.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:55 pm 

Orange wrote:

BashfulDwarf wrote:

I guess you weren't a econ major.

http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

Oh stop. Have you ever actually looked at that thing? If it were realistic, then every currency in the world is undervalued. That would make this thread a non-issue as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:54 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

bandon843 wrote:
Col Ingus wrote:
bandon843 wrote:
Keeping the price of everything imported, and that is anything other than tourism, coffee, bananas...and chicas :shock: affordadable to the locals and their pathetically low salaries (just look at the massive strikes recently and the overall hidden level of poverty).

They do this in Venezuela real well too...Argentina is also into it. And many other countries. Guess CR wants to follow those disastrous examples. Maybe :roll:

...propping up the colones lowers inflows of dollars to purchase imports

And that is exactly what will happen CI, once the manipulation game runs its course, it always does!
Or the populace has no more room for more debt or extra purchasing power. Then if a recession hits and unemployment ticks up or in CR's case expats and tourists start to go to other locals the shit hit's the fan. I still can't understand how food can be so expensive in a country that is more or less one big farm. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:08 pm 

Mugsy wrote:
I still can't understand how food can be so expensive in a country that is more or less one big farm. :roll:

This is the real question. But remember that we only see the restaurant side. What does the actual food costs look like to the locals (who don't necessarily eat out every night like Americans do)?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:15 pm 

BashfulDwarf wrote:
Mugsy wrote:
I still can't understand how food can be so expensive in a country that is more or less one big farm. :roll:

This is the real question. But remember that we only see the restaurant side. What does the actual food costs look like to the locals (who don't necessarily eat out every night like Americans do)?
No we don't. I actually go into stores all over the place. I like deli's for grabbing food so I check out stores of all sizes. It just isn't restaurant food. At least compared to here in the states.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:18 pm 

Take a bus trip to Panama next time you are in country. David is good enough. Do Panamanians make more than Costa Ricans? Hell even the cows are fatter in Panama!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next