www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:22 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Do you guys think expat life would be very difficult for those with limited Spanish speaking ability?

If living outside downtown San Jose maybe a lower rent Tico neighborhood, shopping at the local stores,
interacting with neighbors, paying bills etc.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:48 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

eastcoast wrote:
Do you guys think expat life would be very difficult for those with limited Spanish speaking ability?

If living outside downtown San Jose maybe a lower rent Tico neighborhood, shopping at the local stores,
interacting with neighbors, paying bills etc.

What do you think?

The major english speaking areas are the beaches because of tourists and greater san jose. The further you get away from those 2 areas the less english is spoken. The smaller towns speak very little english.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:53 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

The more spanish you learn, the easier and better life is. You will receive more respect and be treated better by the locals. Mine isn't what I would call good yet, but it makes a difference. And never say yes unless you understand what they are asking, especially in a barber shop.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:13 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

If you stick to the San Jose or Jaco area, you can get by forever not knowing one word of Spanish. The thing is, however, once you live here and you're not just on a 4 day whirlwind find 2 a day hot poontangs besides eat, sleep, see sights, shop, walk around and plan your next trip, you slowly start learning just by interacting with Tico's/Tica's on a daily basis. :o

You quickly learn the basic most useful words, banyo / bathroom, ''?donde esta el banyo?" / where is a bathroom ? directo / ''go straight" to taxi drivers, derecha, izquierda and alto ( right, left, stop). Now you can direct any cab driver anywhere and search for a bathroom.... :P

English and Spanish are sister languages, both born out of Latin and share many words. No matter what your first language is, Spanish is considered the easiest of all languages to learn. Just through curious osmosis you will be picking up words and phrases necessary to just get around, ask about prices, get directions, get food and of course, find a bathroom.... :idea:

Now since you're retired down here, you don't want your brain focused on eating, sleeping, gambling, drinking and poon tang exclusively. There are many local Tico/Tica schools to teach Americans not just Spanish, but Costa Rico Spanish, and the lessons are cheap by our American standards, plus you can make it a fun challenge by listening to tv and radio, reading Spanish newspapers and chatting with locals, I always find they are friendly and patient and excited to teach, they appreciate that you are interested enough in them to want to learn their language, I don't think I ever was refused explanations and instructions when I asked. :D

So there you have it, if you're focused and determined, you could be an excellent communicator in about a year, even if you want to "puda vida" it and take your time and learn slowly, you'll be excellent in about 2 years...as long as you are serious....

! No hey problema, amigo, no hey problema ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:23 pm 

Netgems wrote:

! No hey problema, amigo, no hey problema ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

correction my friend: No hay problema!!!

I agree with much that has been said here and I disagree with much that has been said here!!!

My personal opinion is: If you are going to live anyplace where another language is spoken, you SHOULD make every effort to learn the language! it will ALWAYS make your life in your new country much more enjoyable and easier. In the case of living here in Costa Rica it will make talking to, getting to know, and negotiating with the chicas much easier, better, and more fun. In dealing with the average Tico on the street it will make you more accepted and will make it easier to get what you want or need. With your Tico neighbors it will be easier to make friends and be accepted into the neighborhood.

I know several guys who have lived here for many years (10-20+) who still do not speak one word of Spanish!! They are also for the most part the same guys who set in a bar all day long drinking and talking about how terrible life is here. I have heard these same guys on several occasions talking about the Mexicans that live in the States and refuse to learn English and how terrible that is! :? :roll:

Like Bigal, I am not totally fluent but I have no trouble communicating. I live in a totally Tico area, I shop in the Tico markets, I visit with my neighbors, have dinner with them and they with me frequently. Knowing Tico slang and being able to talk and joke with the chicas is a BIG advantage. Believe me they treat you much differently when you can talk to them in their language (even if she speaks some English)! I have one regular right now who knows a little English and is trying to learn more-she talks to me and texts me in English and I talk and text to her in Spanish. Because of where I live and spend much of my time, I actually speak Spanish much more often than English to the point that I actually dream in Spanish now.

Netgems is correct in that if you stay in the tourist areas you can get by with no Spanish, but what will the quality of your life be :?: :idea: Why would anyone want to live where all around them people were talking and you could not understand them :?: :idea: As Netgems said, schools here are cheap and if you apply yourself, you will learn enough to get by rather quickly. I had the advantage (and disadvantage) of all my employees being Mexican for 30 years before moving here - Advantage=I spoke (very bad) Mexican Spanish! Disadvantage= it is very hard to break old habits (speaking "bad" Spanish. My Tico friends know this and laugh at the way I say some things, but they also appreciate that I do at least try!!

If you are thinking about retiring here, start RIGHT NOW studying and learning Spanish. Then as soon as possible after moving here find one of the schools and enroll!! Then use your newly learned Spanish phrases and words every chance you get. In time you will find yourself speaking Spanish without having to think about each word before using it. And you will find that living here is a great experience!!! Good luck!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:58 pm 

As for easiest languages to learn, I think that Italian is easier than Spanish. But, having learned both, Spanish is vastly more useful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:01 am 

English is a Germanic language, and has more in common with Germanic and some Slavak languages than the Latin-derived ones like Italian, Spanish and French.

However, Spanish, French and English share many cognates, which makes learning them a bit easier. The big difference is the evolution of 'the self' in language. In English, I AM my age, AM hungry, AM cold, AM angry ... but in Latin-derived tongues I HAVE my age, HAVE hunger, HAVE cold, HAVE anger, etc. It's more than an academic point: the way you are taught to express yourself affects how you perceive yourself.

Compare the differences: I am religious! vs I have religion.

To HAVE something is to be aware that it is not yours, and it can/may be taken away. There are several studies on the internet addressing this type of thing, especially in the differences in Arabic, Eastern and Western language and thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:28 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Entiendo

How about residency and health insurance?

I hear CR government wants a lot of info maybe even US tax returns.
Or is qualified income enough?
A few guys told me they do border runs but unless you enjoy the time away it seems
like an unnecessary expense.

And is health insurance increasing a lot?

I am looking at Yahoo groups and ARCR as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:06 pm 

Yes, not knowing the official language of the host country puts an ex-pat at a distinct disadvantage. Make an effort to learn the language... even just the basics.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:11 pm 

BashfulDwarf wrote:
English is a Germanic language, and has more in common with Germanic and some Slavak languages than the Latin-derived ones like Italian, Spanish and French.

However, Spanish, French and English share many cognates, which makes learning them a bit easier. The big difference is the evolution of 'the self' in language. In English, I AM my age, AM hungry, AM cold, AM angry ... but in Latin-derived tongues I HAVE my age, HAVE hunger, HAVE cold, HAVE anger, etc. It's more than an academic point: the way you are taught to express yourself affects how you perceive yourself.

Compare the differences: I am religious! vs I have religion.

To HAVE something is to be aware that it is not yours, and it can/may be taken away. There are several studies on the internet addressing this type of thing, especially in the differences in Arabic, Eastern and Western language and thought.

Well, me and a highly influential poster here who shall remain unnamed to protect the fellow guilty were conjecturing that your nick-name should be "Gilligan", now we're going to have to reconsider "The Professor".... :|

So the age old question then is who would you pay cien to, Ginger or MaryAnne ??? :P :twisted: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:10 am 

Netgems wrote:
So the age old question then is who would you pay cien to, Ginger or MaryAnne ??? :P :twisted: :mrgreen:

Neither ... but I dream of being the creme filling in a Howell sandwich!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:57 am 

BashfulDwarf wrote:
Netgems wrote:

Neither ... but I dream of being the creme filling in a Howell sandwich!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mr. Howell was the voice of Mr. Magoo and I would definitely pay cien for MaryAnne... :!:

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images ... -ision.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:05 am 

Netgems wrote:
...and I would definitely pay cien for MaryAnne...

MaryAnne doesn't exist. But the HDR is full of Gingers ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:41 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Since this is a monger board I will say this. SPEAKING SPANISH WILL MAKE IT EASIER TO GET LAID WITH OR WITHOUT PAYING.......... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I know some guys will just say pull out your wallet. But if a girl(pro or non-pro) can feel comfortable communicating with you then your stock will go up.

Beyond that, if you live in another country you should make an effort to speak their language period.

the DR

<--------OG'n even if you don't understand........ 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:16 pm 

Boy, I wish the Spanish speaking people here in South Florida would take that attitude here as well in the States.