www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prisma Dental Beware
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:41 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I went to Prisma Dental, San Jose, Costa Rica Jan. 2014 for a new lower arch to have shorter crowns made on the advise of my dentist here in the state and an upper over denture remade. They had done work for me in the past so I was so shocked with this outcome and their refusal to acknowledge my concerns, and to make corrections, then or on a return trip.

First, the crowns are exactly the same height as what I came in there with. In less than a three weeks, four of the crowns have sheared/flaked off. (dentists here in the states say they look like acrylic provisional crowns and are not polished). They are taking on stains and I'm not a coffee or tea drinker. The night guard that was made for me had a whole in it the day I got it and the day I left).

The over denture has no stability so it rocks and pops when I eat. Dentists here said the yellow clips were reamed out and that it needs to be rebased because of the poor fit to my upper palate. I repeatedly told Dr. Cordero about this while there. He insisted it was not a problem and would resolve itself.

The 6 front teeth in this over denture are very translucent They look so fake and plastic. I'm embarrassed to meet anyone or speak or smile in public because of this.

Since I left, I wrote them repeatedly and said I would return for corrections but they have ignored me completely. I then asked them to refund me the cost of the Hader bar and the bad crowns. No response to that either. $12,000 worth of work that will have to be redone. They used to do good work. Not any longer. At the least, they should have been willing to correct their work. This has been a horrible experience. There's more but these are the main points.

I also note that they charged me more than the prices quoted on Dental Destinations, as well. I cannot recommend them for any work. For photos, emails or other docs: contact me at cherlynns3@gmail.com

Post subject: Re: Prisma Dental Beware
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:18 am 
Costa Rica Dental Team is a sponsor of this site and is American run. Those guys stand behind their work. Dont know anything about Prisma.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:06 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Only thing I know about Prisma Dental is where the office is. I have not heard of anyone using them in the past.

the DR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:00 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Estebanh wrote:
Costa Rica Dental Team is a sponsor of this site and is American run. Those guys stand behind their work. Dont know anything about Prisma.

I got 19 crowns from Costa Rica Dental (they were 90210 back then). I ended up having problems and chipped four of them. They were replaced free of charge on my next trip down. No hassles and no questions asked. They definitely stand behind their work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:41 pm 

I had 22 crowns at Costa Rica Dental and can`t say enough about how good they are and what good work they do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:46 pm 
Joker99 wrote:
I had 22 crowns at Costa Rica Dental and can`t say enough about how good they are and what good work they do.

holy crap...thats a lot of teeth :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:25 pm 

After a horrible experience at 90210 (did they change their name) and several others pushing the "we need to replace your old fillings" scam, I'll never get dental work done in CR to save a few bucks again.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:05 pm 

You may want to consider University/College Dental Clinics Stateside as an affordable alternative. I never did, so I don't know the quality of their Dentistry but since it is the States you may have more recourse if something goes wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:14 pm 

Zunbake3 wrote:
You may want to consider University/College Dental Clinics Stateside as an affordable alternative. I never did, so I don't know the quality of their Dentistry but since it is the States you may have more recourse if something goes wrong.

Not a bad suggestion; I know of someone who had a very good experience with a University.

I had extensive dental work done by Dr Marco Munoz Cavelinni; am very satisfied with the work; the people are nice and professional, the practice is about 50% American (sorry, Bang, NORTH AMERICAN - don't want you thinking any Peruvians, or Argentines are patients :roll: :roll: :roll: :) ) and 50% Tico.

The complaint is you can wait for what I believe is way too long - Costa Ricans are - or seem to be - content to put up with abysmal customer service; us, not so much.

Work great - wait time too long.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:38 pm 

Every year UCR graduates more dentists than the country needs. They are supposed to spend some time serving the public but there are not enough spots for all of the novatos! Thus, the country is flooded with dentists all vying for the same customers. I always see new dentist offices opening up. They are easy to spot with the jippo banners hanging outside the office, Many cut corners and use inferior materials so they can charge less. If this is what you are after then go for it. Otherwise look for an experienced dentist that uses the best materials available and who comes highly recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:27 am 

irmaenaab wrote:
Well, its is a kind of serious issue and I think the ministry that runs General Dentistry department should look after it and should try to limit the ongoing dental surgeries without the assistance of the professionals.

That's great, except the link you posted is not for the Costa Rican Denistry Association, is it? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:18 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Dr.Mario wrote:
Only thing I know about Prisma Dental is where the office is. I have not heard of anyone using them in the past.

the DR

Used Primsa way back in 2005 and when through similar problems and the prices also increased. been using Cavallini for several years and he has stood by his work that failed twice but YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:34 pm 

You cant go wrong with Costa Rica Dental!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:06 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

KEEP AWAY from Dr. jose franciso DITTEL jimenez goes by the name DR. DITTEL A REAL S.O.B. HE IS A REAL butcher. SIX inplants and not cheap. all got infected I was in a lot of pain and he didn't care. ALL WORK HE DID WAS WRONG. HAD TO GO TO A REAL DOCTOR TO TRY TO REPAIR THE PERMANENT DAMAGE TO MY MOUTH. HE HAS AN OFFICE IN CARTAGO BUT TRAVELS TO SAN JOSE.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:07 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I've had a full mouth restoration at Prisma Dental and several annual check ups. Can't say enough great things about their work, ethics and hospitality.