www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:12 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

In 2006, I rented a 2 bedroom apartment furnished in La Uruca for $900 a month. - Location was great because I could get to the Gulch in 10 minutes at night. In 2006-2008, it was easy to find a new girl everyday of the week.

In 2013 I live in La Sabana. I go to the Gulch twice a year or so. La Sabana has a big park for exercise. 4 ways in/out so I never sit in traffic. Close to everything for me. I can hit the freeway and be in Escazu in 6 minutes or take the back roads and be in 'De Sampa' in 15 minutes.

* RENT but, "Don't Buy a Home in Costa Rica" until you have lived here for THREE years.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:36 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Having lived in escazu, rohmoser,los yoses , called blancos and sabana sur. I recommend sabana sur by far over anywhere else, quiet,safe and close to everything you can want.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:17 am 

Don't do it. You'll (maybe) live to regret it. Just keep making the occasional flight down and throw caution to the wind (that's cash) for a couple more years and you'll have your own personal appraisal.

I am confident you will conclude making such a move is very unwise for a number of reasons. :idea:

"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand."
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Ch. 16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:30 pm 

Steven1 wrote:
Don't do it. You'll (maybe) live to regret it. Just keep making the occasional flight down and throw caution to the wind (that's cash) for a couple more years and you'll have your own personal appraisal.

I am confident you will conclude making such a move is very unwise for a number of reasons. :idea:

"In YOUR opinion" should have been added to a comment coming from someone who has actually spent very little time in Costa Rica (has never lived here as for as I know) and only knows US propaganda and hearsay!!!

No, it is not the perfect paradise but then where is "the perfect paradise"?? NO, it is not for everyone, but there are many who are very happy here, myself included. Yes it has its problems, but SO DOES THE GOOD OLD USA!!! Yes I know you always "claim" to have some "inside info" but all we have ever seen from you is typical USA fear mongering with no true evidence. Yes there is crime, but outside of the gulch which is an area where most who live here spend little of their time after the first few months and the newness wears off, it is no worse than in many US cities!! Yes, the average level of income is less but so is the overall cost of living, and if retiring here the income level one can expect here should be of little concern for a person retiring here -you are not looking to make a living here!! Yes the infrastructure is a disaster, but so is it in the USA (and getting worse everyday). Yes politics is crocked here, BUT SO IS IT IN THE STATES (IMHO EVEN MORE SO!!!). And the people here seem to have spoken with their vote this past weekend!!!

Life is a risk no matter where you choose to spend it. I, and many others have choosen to spend it in a country of beautiful scenery, great climate, lower cost of living than in the states, beautiful women, and beautiful, nice, pleasant, NOT stupid nor dumb nor lazy people once you (again) get out of the gulch and other areas of heavy Gringo concentration (perceived money always [anywhere] draws the low life scum)!!!. A country growing economically, a country improving (slowly but at least not sliding backwards like some I know of), a country of people who are proud, proud of what they have, of what they feel they have accomplished, proud of who they are, and who feel they have a brighter future!!!

Yes, you are right, I see a different country from what you and many who visit here see, but I live and spend much of my time in the "real Costa Rica" and have for 8 years. I also still spend a lot (too much) of my time in the gulch, so I very clearly see the difference between it and the rest of CR. I speak the language (not great but sufficient to carry on a conversation with the average Tico in the Tico neighborhood where I live), I am interested in and keep up with the local news, politics, and economic issues, I visit in Tico homes, have many Tico friends, and I hear what they say, how they think, and how the look at things - very different at times compared to their North American neighbors. My neighbors speak and are polite when we meet while walking in the neighborhood (can't say the same for most neighborhoods in the States).

When I hear people say you need $2500-$3000-$4000 a month to live here I am totally amazed. I live in a very nice modern apartment (small but sufficient for my needs); have all the modern conveniences except for maybe a car but at my age, I probably should not be driving anyway; and if I did not spend a third of my income on pu*sy every month, I could live like a king, and on a lot less than $2500 a month!! But then when one is 71 and still able to pluck young, very attractive, chicas several times a week, have a nice place to live, plenty of food to eat, have good friends and neighbors, and the ability to travel around the country and to other countries, I THINK I AM LIVING LIKE A KING!!!! and in a country I concider a great place (not perfect, but great) to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JMHO :idea: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:25 pm 

There is no "we" or "us": You speak for yourself and yourself alone. Period. Same for and with me.

What I know is one does not have to jump off a 20 story building to know one doesn't want to do it.

I do note that when the shitt hit the fan for you medically, you fled to the USA to get the problem under control, eh?

I've spent more time than I care to relate relative to Costa Rica and the entire out house of a dung heap that makes up what is commonly referred to as Central America. So what if I don't live in a scrub apartment, spending my days pretending I'm "young" and paying tarts to yank my junk? You don't know where I go or what I do when I'm in Costa Rica or even that region of the world and it's actually none of your simple simon business. Suffice to say it does not center around bragging about knowing the names of all the hags I've shagged or the money I've wasted; or the whereabouts of some obscure jizz room which was cleaned two years ago; or the ever dying soul that rots as one K*ds oneself that Costa Rica is some manner of paradise. :roll: Again, big deal. To and for me? That ain't no legacy and no airman ought to be proud of it.

What you've written is simply your own rationalization for why you stay in the Grade D banana republic. Writing such dribble is cheap therapy for you is it, eh? Nothing more and nothing less. And Costa Rica's "growth" is only for the few:

However, inequality rose (Gini coefficient went from .422 in 2006 to .439 in 2009) as growth largely benefited skilled labor, and secondary education lags, especially among Costa Rica’s poor.
As a consequence of the global financial crisis in 2008 the country’s economy registered a decline of 1.3% of GDP in 2009. In response, the Government increased its spending in social and labor-intensive infrastructure, helping the economy recuperate to a 4.7% GDP growth in 2010. http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/costarica/overview

Voting is a joke: What happens after Fric or Frac (they're all cut from the same cloth) "takes office" is what is meaningful: Try "participatory democracy" and watch how quickly you're rounded up and "dealt with". Since you have such disdain for the USA, why not renounce your citizenship and become a Tico passport carrying bona fide genuine like real deal?

Since you're in the "true Costa Rica" so much, I know that means you're not drinking the water, eh? Nobody I know who lives in this barrio or that barrio drinks the water unless it's from a bottle or taken from the employer's five gallon cooler. And that's just for starters. Some people think Syria is Nirvana just as some people believe Benin is great. So you *think* CR is "the bomb". Good for you. Still, *thinking* something and *knowing* something are 2 different things.

There are a lot of expats in CR that are S-T-U-C-K: They're in so deep they can't get back to the USA; stuck with property holdings they can't give away, let alone sell.....sold to them by North American real estate agent(s) who had their USA licenses yanked for one infraction after another so they come to "paradise" where there is no regulation in practice. And then there are those who are just simply stuck....with no where to go; no real family ties either due to deaths or estrangement; no motivation; lack of insight and/or the ability to act upon it; no money to set up shop back in the USA for 1st and last months rent + damage deposit and all the other expenses; blah, blah, blah.

Great for you that you *think* CR is a "....great place......". I think it's a great place to VISIT. And when you take off your rose colored glasses, perhaps your perspective might get modified such that a 71 year old guy begins to focus on something other than massage parlor pussssy or pretending one is Peter Pan. :wink: :idea:

BangBang57 wrote:
Steven1 wrote:

"In YOUR opinion" should have been added to a comment coming from someone who has actually spent very little time in Costa Rica (has never lived here as for as I know) and only knows US propaganda and hearsay!!!
No, it is not the perfect paradise but then where is "the perfect paradise"?? NO, it is not for everyone, but there are many who are very happy here, myself included. Yes it has its problems, but SO DOES THE GOOD OLD USA!!! Yes I know you always "claim" to have some "inside info" but all we have ever seen from you is typical USA fear mongering with no true evidence. Yes there is crime, but outside of the gulch which is an area where most who live here spend little of their time after the first few months and the newness wears off, it is no worse than in many US cities!! Yes, the average level of income is less but so is the overall cost of living, and if retiring here the income level one can expect here should be of no concern for a person retiring here. Yes the infrastructure is a disaster but so is it in the USA (and getting worse everyday). Yes politics is crocked here BUT SO IS IT IN THE STATES (IMHO EVEN MORE SO!!!). And the people here seem to have spoken with their vote this past weekend!!!

Life is a risk no matter where you choose to spend it. I, and many others have choosen to spend it in a country of beautiful scenery, great climate, lower cost of living than in the states, beautiful women, and beautiful, nice, pleasant, NOT stupid nor dumb nor lazy people once you (again) get out of the gulch and other areas of heavy Gringo concentration (perceived money always [anywhere] draws the low life scum)!!!. A country growing economically, a country improving (slowly but at least not sliding backwards like some I know of), a country of people who are proud, proud of what they have, of what they feel they have accomplished, proud of who they are, and who feel they have a bright future!!!

Yes, you are right, I see a different country from what you and many who visit here see, but I live and spend much of my time in the "real Costa Rica" and have for 8 years. I also still spend a lot (too much) of my time in the gulch, so I very clearly see the difference between it and the rest of CR. I speak the language (not great but sufficient to carry on a conversation with the average Tico in the Tico neighborhood where I live), I am interested in and keep up with the local news, politics, and economic issues, I visit in Tico homes, have many Tico friends, and I hear what they say, how they think, and how the look at things - very different at times compared to the North American people. My neighbors speak and are polite when we meet while walking in the neighborhood (can't say the same for most neighborhoods in the States).

When I hear people say you need $2500-$3000-$4000 a month to live here I am totally amazed. I live in a very nice modern apartment (small but sufficient for my needs); have all the modern conveniences except for maybe a car but at my age, I probably should not be driving anyway; and if I did not spend a third of my income on pu*sy every month, I could live like a king on a lot less than $2500 a month!! But then when one is 71 and still able to pluck young, very attractive, chicas several times a week, have a nice place to live, plenty of food to eat, have good friends and neighbors, and the ability to travel around the country and to other countries, I THINK I AM LIVING LIKE A KING!!!! and in a country I concider a great place (not perfect, but great) to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :roll:

"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:33 pm 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Bro Steven1 needs reminding that this Thread is where you'd live..., not if you'd live... O/W you're treating the OP like an ignorant ch!ld who hasn't thought of possibilities and negative consequences. On the one hand you have a long-time fully-imbedded resident who mixes well in various local strata; on the other you have a commenter who roughly equates CR with various failed war-torn African/Middle Eastern quasi-states. Somebody go off their meds, yeah?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:40 pm 

Just the one sided, highly opinionated, unknowing but thinks you know everything, radical, prejudice, comments I expected in reply!!!

Will not waste my time replying to most of it -no real need since most seem to know from whence it comes. But there are a couple of things I will set you straight on!!

First, I have NOT been back to the States for any medical treatment and would not go back for medical treatment. I have just as much faith (or more) in the medical treatment here as I do in that in the States. In fact I have only been back one time since shortly after I moved here and that was to visit my Daughter who was sick and to take care of some personal business matters.

Secondly I do not live in a "scrub" apartment. I said it was small but all I need in size. It is attached to and part of a very nice 4 year old home with all the conviences of any home in the states. I have NEVER pretended to be "young". I am proud of the fact that I still have good health and can be physically active (and can still have sex with "anyone"). Funny thing is, I have a rep of being someone who spends all his time in MPs-totally not true; I just happen to know where they are and enjoy showing and helping guys find them. 90 % of the time the chicas I see are independents who come to my house. And most of them I have known for years!!! Hell one is a lawyer and one works for one of the largest companies in Costa Rica. And just as you say what you do is non of my business (I agree), WHAT I DO IS NON OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!! But, I am living the life I planned, the life I want, and am living it where I had planned to for 10 years before moving here!! I could just as easily be living back in Colombia (which I like very much also) or anyone of several other Latin countries (Yes, no matter where I lived it would be a Latin country for many reasons). Maybe it is not your paradise but do not tell others it is NO ONE'S paradise because of your failures here or your being "brain washed".
Third and final: I do not have "disdain" for the US, I just am a realist and do not look at IT thru "rose colored" glasses. It is still the greatest country on earth, but it is not what it once was and is getting (IMHO) worse everyday!!! Yes I have a limited fixed income and therefore I can and do live much better here than I could in the states!!! BUT I DO LIVE HERE BY CHOISE!!!! And am very happy, thank you!!! :roll: :wink:

And just to correct you on the water here, I have drank water out of the water faucet here for 19 years and never once been sick from it!! Guess I have an iron stomach!! And other than a few Gringos who mostly are afraid of their own shadow, I know very few people who drink bottled water here! Hell where do you think that "bottled water" comes from???

I think it is a great place to live!! YOU think it is a great place to "visit"!! Fine, we are both entitled to our own opinions Just do not tell someone else they are making a big mistake by considering a move here, or that they are living here because they can not live elsewhere based on what you THINK is the truth without any true PERSONAL experience nor knowledge. The OP asked for opinions from people who live, or have lived here, as to where is the best places to live here! He did not ask for a totally biased opinion from someone who seems to have a hatred and fear of everywhere and everything about why he should not even consider living here at all!!

Now, I am through, but I am sure you will have a lot more of your opinions and hatred of CR to lay on us!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:51 pm 

BangBang57 wrote:
Will not waste my time replying to most of it -no real need since most seem to know from whence it comes. But there are a couple of things I will set you straight on!!

That was a lot of warbling by someone who first proclaimed ".....will not waste my time replying...." :!: :P :arrow:

Re-stating: "What you've written is simply your own rationalization for why you stay in the Grade D banana republic. Writing such dribble is cheap therapy for you is it, eh? Nothing more and nothing less."

Time to go watch Jerry Springer. Now there's some high brow entertainment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:01 pm 

Steven1 wrote:
BangBang57 wrote:

That was a lot of warbling by someone who first proclaimed ".....will not waste my time replying...." :!: :P :arrow:

Yep that is the FIRST thing I will agree with you on in this thread. I realized after I was finished writing that I did "waste my time replying to a lot of it"!!! :oops: :roll: Can I contribute that to "old age"!! :P :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:14 pm 

JazzboCR wrote:
"...an ignorant ch!ld who hasn't thought of possibilities and negative consequences.

There are a LOT of 'em STUCK down in SJO and even in the ex-pat communities: Stuck because they can't sell their overpriced shacks which require jail cell bars on 'em to keep the well heeled gentry from taking their stuff; be ye at home or trolling the ever so beautiful countryside in a country where less than 4% of the raw sewage is treated before it is dumped into the rivers and, finally, into the ocean and sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supp ... Costa_Rica

Wastewater treatment

96% of all urban wastewater collected is discharged into rivers and receiving bodies without any treatment, generating public health risks and water resources contamination. 8% of the population is connected to a sewage system and to a wastewater treatment plant; but as of 2007 half of this wastewater is not treated, because the corresponding plants were out of operation. As of 2007 only 7 small towns had wastewater treatment plants, all of which had been built before 1975
https://wikileaks.org/cable/2007/04/07SANJOSE653.html

Nationwide, Costa Rica currently treats only 2.6% of human waste
generated, ranking Costa Rica amongst the five worst countries in
Latin America. And the country is falling backward. The 2.6% figure
was revised down from 4% after the current Minister of Environment
challenged the inclusion of non-operative treatment systems in the
estimate.) The Central Valley area, which includes greater
metropolitan San Jose and nearly two million people, has an
antiquated sewage collection system with many underground lines
dating from mid-century that have rusted through. In some areas
sewage can be seen leaking into the streets. Despite the fact that
at least 100 new residential subdivisions have been added to the
network, there has been no extensive work on the Central Valley
sewer system since 1981.

Nearly all waste enters the rivers that flow through San Jose
and drain into the Pacific Ocean at the Gulf of Nicoya via the Rio
Grande de Tarcoles. Local residents know they should avoid beaches
in that area due to the "black waters". Contamination has damaged
mangrove forests and coral reefs and is suspected of causing reduced
fish catches. Water contamination is also linked to hepatitis,
cholera, skin problems and cases of diarrhea increased 16% in Costa
Rica from 2002 to 2005.

:oops:

Any and all are more than welcome to my portion of this "grog". Certain hotel staff who most know have confirmed they do not drink tap water at home or at work; drink only aqua purificado from the bottle itself; or quietly fill up their personal containers from the hotels' water cooler to take home to their Ch*ldren and other family members. It is what it is. No more and certainly no less.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:44 pm 

Ah, yes... back to some good healthy contention amongst the CRT "brothers." "Contention" has been the hallmark of this board for years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:54 pm 

BlueDevil wrote:
Ah, yes... back to some good healthy contention amongst the CRT "brothers." "Contention" has been the hallmark of this board for years.

Diversity of thought trumps all other forms or manners of diversity. Diversity of thought is what has made the USA a great place. Spirited discussion if one prefers....

Is Diversity of Thought permitted/and/or allowed in Costa Rica? Answer: Provided said diversity is in 100% agreement with what the gubment and those ever so special families embrace, all is well. Deviate from that "norm"--------- LET 'EM DANGLE!! :P 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:04 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Holy phuck! I ask a simple question and it turns into a shouting match.

I'm not a stupid person who hasn't done his research. When I do make the move, it will be on a trial basis.

Now back to the original question. Where would you live in the SJ area and why? Yes, I know it depends on my needs and so on and so on. I just want to know why you live in that area or want to live in that area.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:27 pm 

Steven1 wrote:
BlueDevil wrote:

Diversity of thought trumps all other forms or manners of diversity. Diversity of thought is what has made the USA a great place.

Is Diversity of Thought permitted/and/or allowed in Costa Rica? Answer: Provided said diversity is in 100% agreement with what the gubment and those ever so special families embrace, all is well. Deviate from that "norm"--------- LET 'EM DANGLE!! :P 8) :lol:

See how much you really know about CR!! :P :wink: The ruling party in government and the "special families" who back that party got less than 30% of the vote in the first vote. Sounds like over 50% of the voters voiced their opposition the said GOVERNMENT and "special families"!!! So what is the government going to do?? lock the 70% who voted against them up before the runoff?? :roll:

Yes, the "elite", the wealthy, the powerful do have undue power over the masses in this, in all Latin countries, in most all countries of the world, hell even in the USA!! So what is new and what is different?? Has been that way thru out most of the world thru out time!!! With wealth comes power; with power, whether from wealth, from being elected, or thru battle comes control over the masses!! Many thru time have tried to change that fact!! No one has totally succeeded!!!!

Point is, though it is far from a "perfect paradise", Costa Rica (IMFO) is not nearly as bad as you would try to make us believe!!!!! For example: And I agree the sanitation and waste problem here is terrible, BUT if it was as bad as you and certain agencies would have us believe how come all 4.5 million people here are not dead or at least very sick??? :? :roll: :wink: Why is our overly protective US government not tell us to not even visit here?

If you really think every person here except for the hand full of "special families" is poor, starving, and homeless, please explain all the thousands and thousands of expensive cars (cars that here cost almost twice what they do in the States) clogging the roads. And everyday a third of all those cars are not even allowed on the Chepe streets because of the congestion. Explain the many thousands of homes (new or fairly new) in the $200000 and up price range that Ticos own, or are at least (just like in the States), buying. Or did you even know they exist??? Explain how during the Christmas holidays, and the week of Samana Santa there is never a vacant hotel room at any beach area?? Yes there are a lot of poor, homeless, people here but it is not the over whelming number you and others believe. Hell, have you looked around you in the States, the wealthiest, most powerful country in the world? The number of poor and homeless is staggering!!!

Just the way this senile old fart sees things!!!!!

And BlueDevil, I do not believe this is "contention" but just a difference in thought and beliefs about what is and isn't. No one is mad, no one is "seriously" calling anyone names; at least I don't think so. I know I am not!! What Costa Rica and the people really are is to me, and to many who live here and visit here, a very important issue. I am well aware that I see a very different CR than what many see. If you lived in the slums of New York City you would see a very different USA than what most of us see!!!! If you came from another country to the States for a visit and spent all your time in a poor mostly black town in Mississippi (and please, I am not picking on Mississippi) you would have a very different and unreal opinion of the USA!!

And to the OP, I apologize for hijacking your thread. I did try earlier to answer your question based on my experience here. And I do think many of the issues people have with CR are important to understand when making a decision about living here and where.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:57 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Steven1,

I LOVE living in Costa Rica. I also LOVE that you don't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next