www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Puerto Viejo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:13 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I noticed a trend when I post questions, which is amazing for you Admin 1 and the board moderators...everyone reminds you to get a card! I can tell that many are proud of this site and I definitely notice the work put in. I will purchase mine upon arrival(cross my heart) haha...no really, I will.

Now that's out of the way. I have rented a place for a few months(option to leave after 1 month if it sucks) in Puerto Viejo. It's 200m from the beach and looks like I may have a nice relaxing break to recover from my back surgery. Could you guys flood me with your thoughts on the area? Do's, Dont's, Where to hang out, Eating establishments, Chicas and or Ticas, etc?

Thank this board for all of your valuable advice, it has been a pleasure reading your posts...even you dickheads out there. :D

Post subject: Re: Puerto Viejo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I assume you have done your due diligence and so you know it is a really beautiful but remote part of CR.
I was only there one visit when years ago I was doing my two year search of CR beach towns looking for where I wanted to hang my hat.

Atlantico was not my choice despite its beauty down south. Aside from being very remote with mostly 1.5-2 star lodgings without a/c, with the few exceptions, it is largely Rustafarian with a strong dose of Euro hippy, and a touch of gay drifting in the breeze, and all of that combined outweighed the natural beauty for me.
Also, no airport so you are hours away from the hospital in Limon. Young guys don't usually consider that, guys like me do, which is why I hang out in Quepos. Not the best hospital in CR, but.

There are "Rusta-chicas" for hire.

Most gringos wind up Pacifico.

Anyway, you will be recovering in paradise with arguably the most beautiful beaches in CR--can't beat that Caribe water and white sand. Good luck and after you are there a few weeks, update us on what it's like thru your goggles. I was there 15 years ago so maybe it's alot different now. Maybe I'll go back for a visit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:04 pm 

Betterlife wrote:
I noticed a trend when I post questions, which is amazing for you Admin 1 and the board moderators...everyone reminds you to get a card! I can tell that many are proud of this site and I definitely notice the work put in. I will purchase mine upon arrival(cross my heart) haha...no really, I will.

Now that's out of the way. I have rented a place for a few months(option to leave after 1 month if it sucks) in Puerto Viejo. It's 200m from the beach and looks like I may have a nice relaxing break to recover from my back surgery. Could you guys flood me with your thoughts on the area? Do's, Dont's, Where to hang out, Eating establishments, Chicas and or Ticas, etc?

Thank this board for all of your valuable advice, it has been a pleasure reading your posts...even you dickheads out there. :D

Try reading the threads that come up from this search: search.php?keywords=Puerto+Viejo&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I spent a lot of time in PV, and at one point, almost took a 3-month leave of absence from work to "live" there, and determine whether I would like this place in retirement. If you have any further questions regarding PV, after reading those threads, please feel free to shoot me a pm.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:05 am 

Quote:
gorging on pejibayes con queso or mayonaisa and cafe

I often wondered about the correct spelling of "pejibaye".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:26 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Greengo,

Where's the anti-PV? Where would you go if you were me? My back recovery is not a big issue, just all more a reason to lay back in the sand. I'm not set to one particular place but cannot seem to find a consenting opinion. Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:27 pm 

Betterlife wrote:

Its far better than a few short years ago when <almost> every question, especially by newbi's was met with a response of "Do a search....." Not the case anymore.

I think guys who use the board, especially those with many questions and/or posts (especially those who are regular posters) should support the site, and not just with their shining retoric and vast knowledge :roll: - candidly, if you ask a question or three, probably not necessary - and in your particular case, given the area you are interested in, the discounts membership in CRT provides probably would not benefit you b/c I'm unaware of lots of sponsors in the Puerto Viejo area where you could use the card.

Speaking for a constituency of one, I'd like to see you join as a VIP, get more involved posting, etc, since I think I like your style and sense of humor - and by all means don't let your lack of knowledge about Costa Rica be a barrier; many, many guys, some prolific posters, have not let that get in the way of their bloviating :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:42 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

My friend, I hear about plenty of crime on that coast. Sure there's crime everywhere in the country , but my impression is that it is higher from Limon south to PV and perhaps beyond. I have a good friend who owns a cottage there. It's been broken into several times in one year, his wife and K*ds were robbed at knifepoint on he beach during the afternoon (PV). His son reported that his local PV bartender has been robbed leaving work at night, a couple weeks ago a French couple were assaulted & battered on the beach for refusing to turn over their personal property.

If you want peace and tranquility go to Playa Flamingo on the Pacific. Hang out at the beach across the street from the Flamingo Resort hotel. To me PV is too much like the ol' west. Cops are not much interested in the crimes over there either.

No matter where you are, don't flash your money, your wealth, blend in and keep an eye on your stuff at all times.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:33 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Flyboy wrote:
My friend, I hear about plenty of crime on that coast. Sure there's crime everywhere in the country , but my impression is that it is higher from Limon south to PV and perhaps beyond. I have a good friend who owns a cottage there. It's been broken into several times in one year, his wife and K*ds were robbed at knifepoint on he beach during the afternoon (PV). His son reported that his local PV bartender has been robbed leaving work at night, a couple weeks ago a French couple were assaulted & battered on the beach for refusing to turn over their personal property.

If you want peace and tranquility go to Playa Flamingo on the Pacific. Hang out at the beach across the street from the Flamingo Resort hotel. To me PV is too much like the ol' west. Cops are not much interested in the crimes over there either.

No matter where you are, don't flash your money, your wealth, blend in and keep an eye on your stuff at all times.

Oh wow. Yeah I've read a lot about the crime but it seemed to be widespread across CR. I will be vigilant and may make my way to your suggested destination. I'm really just looking for a nice place to chill and be left pretty much alone an within my means with my disability money. The beach is important to me at first but many say it wears thin. I'm open to all suggestions on where to live and appreciate all advice. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:53 pm 

I really like the area and if you're a smoker, you're in luck in this area.