Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:24 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Amnet sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:28 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I have Cable Tica and my internet is lighting fast and has only been down one business day in 6 years.

I do live in a new building in Sabana, not an accident.

* RENT but, "Don't Buy a Home in Costa Rica" until you have lived here for THREE years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:49 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
What Chi_trekker talked about: http://soyjapi.cr/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:28 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

All good info, Gents. Thanks....

Something else, seems like a trival question, but I run my work CPU setup with four monitors, but will only use three once there. I am in the process of buying an All In One CPU (for portability sake) that I can carry similar to a laptop when I come an them just picking up a couple of cheap 20" monitors once I get there. Here I can do that for $200 or so at Wal Mart ($100 or so per monitor). I know there is a Wal Mart in Escazu, but needless to say never went there on any of my trips.

1. Are electronics selections for things like this similar there?
2. I know the prices due to tax on such things are higher, but it should not be anything that is too crazy, correct?

Again, appreciate the candor and info.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:30 pm 

Walltime wrote:
All good info, Gents. Thanks....

Something else, seems like a trival question, but I run my work CPU setup with four monitors, but will only use three once there. I am in the process of buying an All In One CPU (for portability sake) that I can carry similar to a laptop when I come an them just picking up a couple of cheap 20" monitors once I get there. Here I can do that for $200 or so at Wal Mart ($100 or so per monitor). I know there is a Wal Mart in Escazu, but needless to say never went there on any of my trips.

1. Are electronics selections for things like this similar there?
2. I know the prices due to tax on such things are higher, but it should not be anything that is too crazy, correct?

Again, appreciate the candor and info.

Selection for high-end electronics like computer monitors is nothing like in the States. Go to Best Buy and you will see probably 20 different monitors while the most I've ever seen available (at the Escazu Wal-Mart) was around 5. You can count on prices for electronics in Costa Rica being about double what they are in the States because of the import taxes. However, there are a LOT of places that sell used monitors for much less but there is never any guarantee they will work more than a few minutes. My recommendation is bring another suitcase and pack it with all the electronics you think you may need while you are here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 pm 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Here's a Dell computer ad for Costa Rica: http://www1.la.dell.com/pa/es/domestico ... &cs=padhs1
And a place that sells monitors, etc. though not Dell: http://www.intelec.co.cr/monitores-lcd-y-led-c-403.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:29 pm 

Icantstayaway wrote:
I have Cable Tica and my internet is lighting fast and has only been down one business day in 6 years.

I do live in a new building in Sabana, not an accident.

JAPI Happy is great! No outages and good service. The only downside is they are not setup with online payment from BAC.

If you guys need electronics, I send Ticos to the US every month for training. I just order items on AMAZON and send it to their hotel. Then, they bring it down. These are computer engineers with Masters Degrees. They don't steal... so there is really no worry, unless they take it in border control.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:45 pm 
I call the Dept of VA pretty much on a monthly basis just to make sure they don't forget about and attempt to reduce my benefits. I ask a lot of questions and get on the employee's nerves. However, I really don't care. That's THEIR JOB: TO HELP VETERANS and they get paid for it. So, I have inquired about various benefits to see what the requirements are.

For Foreign Medical Program you must do/have the following:

1) have a service connected disability
2) when I called they said the biggest thing is you MUST have a service connected disability of 50% or more.
3) BEFORE you leave the States, you MUST call their office and apply. If you are leaving in Sept/Oct and interested in the program I would apply for the program NOW.

Also here is a FAQ section of their website.

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/fmp/FAQs.asp

However, one thing I noticed about the VA is if you come up with a really good sob story they are willing to make exceptions. The VA seems to have ALOT of slack in the line when it comes to making exemptions for laws set by Congress. I think Congress must of wrote them another law that also states something to the effect of "Whatever best benefits the Veteran." I just don't think they make people aware of that. Anyway, Veterans NEED to know their rights and benefits. It's very important to make those phone calls to them.

Just a thought but start a thread on how everything turns out and what you did if you don't mind. If not, no big deal. Best of luck to ya. Something tells me Guatemala is the new up and coming place of the future though. Not so much for mongering but in other ways.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:15 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

You can get a new smartphone known brands and good price in
https://innovacellcr.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:31 pm