www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:11 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Hello all. I am about 90% sure I'm moving to CR in September or October of this year. However, have a few questions for those of you that are already there or have done some research on the subject at some time. Basically, I am self-employed as an equities trader (stocks and options) and run a small web-based advisory service as well. Needless to say internet reliability and speed is paramount for me.

I have made 4 trips over the last 9 months and have stayed in SJO all four times at several hotels. For the most part I have had no issues with the internet while there on my trips. Is it pretty much the same for the surrounding area (say within 15 miles of SJO)?

I'm a "disabled vet" and get all my medical through the VA here in the states. Believe it or not it is not all that bad. Is there anyone out there that is in the same boat and utilizes the VA medical while living in CR? If so, any direction there is appreciated. I know the "disabled vet" thing sounds pretty dire but I am fairly young (39) and am in really great health overall, so I am more wondering about the routine type stuff if there is anything in place for guys like us. I had spoke to a gentlemen on my second trip that said he has the equivalent of a GP in SJO that takes care of all his stuff with the VA and it is pretty easy.

Any other gems of wisdom will be appreciated.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:12 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
There's a local Chapter of the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) in this listing. It's 6 years old so add a 2 in front of the tel. #. The Veterans Benefit Administration is a continuing, no, increasing, horror story--best to seek help from those who have gone before:
http://www.alloexpat.com/costa_rica_exp ... t2759.html
About the VBA: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/16/us/wo ... efits.html

Can't help you with the Internet thing directly but maybe this? http://crwifi.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:30 pm 

Internet service is fine in SJO and the burbs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:46 pm 

When you say you receive all your medical care through the VA I assume you have have a disability rating. That would make you eligible for the Foreign Medical Program (FMP) which the major private hospitals in San Jose participate in. A word of caution in case you are not familiar with the FMP program. It will only cover treatment for those specific things the VA has given you a disability rating for. For example you have a 60% rating for hearing loss. Treatment for that is covered but if you seek treatment for an eye infection that would not be covered.

There currently is no DAV chapter active in Costa Rica. There are 3 American Legion posts in the country. CR10 located in Escazu, CR12 located in Golfito and CR16 located in Goicochea. CR10 is the oldest, largest and most active of the three and has a very experienced Service Officer who can help you with any issues you may encounter with the VA. You might want to check out their website for an look at them http://www.amlegioncr10.com. There is also a VFW post and a chapter of the Marine Corps League. If you have any question send me a PM and I will try to answer them for you. Thank you for your service to our country.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:51 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I agree with BKTuna that if you are in metro San Jose you will get solid internet performance.

I've found that CableTica is the best for consistent speeds without interruptions.

Voted San Jose's #1 Maripepino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:59 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Hey Walltime: You got puts on FXE these days.?.jejejeje
CH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:00 pm 

Seabreeze wrote:
I agree with BKTuna that if you are in metro San Jose you will get solid internet performance.

I've found that CableTica is the best for consistent speeds without interruptions.

If you use one of the cable companies (AMNET CableTica) as your ISP you will not have a choice as to which one as they have rights to certain areas so you use the one that services your area. Your other choices are RACSA, owned by ICE, and there is speculation they might not be around much longer or ICE itself who offer ADSL service.

I know both AMNET and ICE offer download speeds up to 10MB. Not sure about CableTica but I would imagine they are competitive. Off course that is advertised speed not sure that actually deliver on that.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:53 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Bktuna wrote:
Internet service is fine in SJO and the burbs

Thanks Boyd (This is Wally). Looking forward to many enjoyable times there. Hope the "shop" is running well.

JazzboCR wrote:
There's a local Chapter of the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) in this listing. It's 6 years old so add a 2 in front of the tel. #. The Veterans Benefit Administration is a continuing, no, increasing, horror story--best to seek help from those who have gone before:
http://www.alloexpat.com/costa_rica_exp ... t2759.html
About the VBA: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/16/us/wo ... efits.html

Can't help you with the Internet thing directly but maybe this? http://crwifi.com/

Irish Drifter wrote:
When you say you receive all your medical care through the VA I assume you have have a disability rating. That would make you eligible for the Foreign Medical Program (FMP) which the major private hospitals in San Jose participate in. A word of caution in case you are not familiar with the FMP program. It will only cover treatment for those specific things the VA has given you a disability rating for. For example you have a 60% rating for hearing loss. Treatment for that is covered but if you seek treatment for an eye infection that would not be covered.

There currently is no DAV chapter active in Costa Rica. There are 3 American Legion posts in the country. CR10 located in Escazu, CR12 located in Golfito and CR16 located in Goicochea. CR10 is the oldest, largest and most active of the three and has a very experienced Service Officer who can help you with any issues you may encounter with the VA. You might want to check out their website for an look at them http://www.amlegioncr10.com. There is also a VFW post and a chapter of the Marine Corps League. If you have any question send me a PM and I will try to answer them for you. Thank you for your service to our country.

Thanks guys, solid info for sure. I am going to call the VA this week but we know how that shit goes. Irish, kind of sucks about only the things I am rated for being able to be treated. Was more hoping for routine type stuff as well but no biggie overall, as I will be shooting back to the states every 6-8 weeks or so anyway.

Crazyhorse0017 wrote:
Hey Walltime: You got puts on FXE these days.?.jejejeje
CH

CH - jaja. Don't do much with the currencies, besides watching for confirmation on overall market direction, but FXE puts would have been easy money for sure the last year or so...

Thanks again guys, appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:23 pm 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Here's some sites to test Internet speed: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 542AA9wHOk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:09 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Thanks Jazzbo. As stated, I think my main concern was not in SJO itself, as my experience (at least at the hotels) has been acceptable when I do work while visiting. More concern with "the burbs" as BKTuna called them because I do not plan on living right in SJO, but within a reasonable distance (likely no more than 10-15 miles outside of it). It looks like on the speed test site that download speeds are pretty reasonable, which is my main concern with a ton of streaming data. Although compared to what I have here it is only about 1/4 speed wise of what I get. Thanks again.....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:31 am 

JazzboCR wrote:
Here's some sites to test Internet speed: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 542AA9wHOk

Jazz, of those listed, I like that speedtest.net because it keeps a history of your test results. Used that to convince my provider they weren't giving me anywhere close to the speed I paid for and got a $20 per month discount. Must join though, takes a minute. Not sure if it will work in CR.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:23 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Equities trader....you must have balls of steel... :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:47 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Hardwoodjoe wrote:

Yeah man, that's one way of looking at it. Definitely gotta have your emotions in check....just another useful aspect in dealing with the chicas (in CR or otherwise). Speaking of which, I told a buddy of mine that I that I treat trading and dealing with women exactly the same. If a trade/interaction/relationship is working, stick with it until it becomes more hassle than it's worth. When it no longer is worth it or not doing what you expect of it, cut it loose and find another. No big deal. Seems this even applies in the P4P realm too. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:23 pm 

Hardwoodjoe wrote:

As do "Bondtrader's"... :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:02 pm 

If you need stable internet, the posts about "every is fine" is bullshit. AMNET and CABLETICA is terrible service. Avoid this bullshit... internet on cable doesn't work in Costa Rica. ICE DSL works, but the company is a joke. You should consider newer players. JAPI is what I use now and it works. No outages. $39 for 2 megabit down and 1 megabit up.

Both AMNET and CABLETICA are super slow or down. Their call center also sucks! They are a waste of money.