www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:18 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I know most of these issues have been covered here before (yes, I RTFF most every day & understand the "search" feature). I would like comments from those CRT brothers who have gone before me....

Seems there was also a book shilled here in the past but I couldn't find it. If it's useful, what's it called & where can I get it (either in the US or SJO).

Thinking of buying a new Hyundai Accent or similar car (the taxistas must know something...). Also considering a small 2WD SUV since we have no need for the 4WD. Leaning towards new, would like to keep it under $20K. I've been spending about $300 - $500 a month renting at Hertz (insert "dumbass" comments here - they're deserved...) and this will give me a 4 - 5 year payout. I'm reticent to buy used since my novia knows nothing about cars & I'm an obvious gringo.

All I really want in the vehicle is 4d, manual transmission, electric windows & locks, & A/C. Novia wants a good radio though we can add that later.

Questions du jour:

1) Recommendations for dealerships, buying advice & make/model.

2) Any ideas on new-car warranties, values & professionalism of the dealerships in SJO?

3) Any idea of the cost for auto insurance (including comp & collision)?

4) Comments on title - in her name, my name or both (obvious comments aside)?

5) Any idea where she could go to get in a driving school & get help getting her first D/L [insert "what a dumbass" comments here].

She's 33 & we've been together 3 years. We live in Rohrmoser so the advantage of having a car is significant. I've found driving to the centro area to be relatively pain-free and parking is plentiful. The bus route is fine (for her) but when I'm in town every 2 - 5 weeks I consider my time more important. Additionally, taxiing to Escazu & Santa Ana is expensive & a pain in the ass. Her mom lives in San Ramon & the bus is good & cheap but I'm not a bus kinda guy...

Thanks.

/dddick

BTW - 2nd attempt to post, first one erased so if a similar post jumps up, my apologies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:34 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I spent some time researching buying a car here.

1. Individual dealerships will be of limited choice. Each new car manufacturer only has one or two central valley locations for each model. Make and model-Something Korean or japanese that blends in. In that price range little Hyundai (i10,130,getz), kia picante, chevy aveo, maybe a little bigger. The tiniest car will start at $13,900 cash. For $25k you can get a good new midsize car (Fiat, Puegot, etc.). Add it up and if its for five years its cheaper and easier to rent at $500 a month. Try Europcar across the street from Hertz, its cheaper.

2. I do not think any warrantee by any company in Costa Rica can be counted on. Some dealers claim three years.

3. Insurance cost is nationalized right now and the price is reasonable. I would be shocked if you found it easy to collect on theft, comp, etc.)

4. Create a company and put the title in the company name. Unless you are a legal, permanent resident it wont be in yours.

5. School wont help. Ticas cant drive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:17 am 

Mickymoose wrote:
5. School wont help. Ticas cant drive.

Mr. Moose --

Love it - thanks. I'll try to prove you're wrong, we'll see if I'm successful or not.....

We've been together three years, she's not of puta heritage but I fully understand the cultural, educational & economic differences. My goal in the vehicle is twofold - to ultimately save me money & at the same time give her something we gringos take for granted - a bit of independance. At the end of the day a cash purchase for $20k or less is not a real big deal for me, I have confidence in my novia's character and I believe it's the right path forward for us.

My target is a very non-conspicuous vehicle that will meet basic transportation needs for the next 8 -10 years, no more (with a NTE total cost of <$20k).

Thanks.

/dddick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:14 pm 

I bought my girlfriend here in Panama a car to use. My only advice would be this: start her off in a cheap used car. She WILL bump into a few things the first year. After you're both comfortable with her driving skills, upgrade.

You might even get lucky with the cheapo. The one I bought was a 2001 model and cost $5k. Three years later, the car is still in great condition inside and out(except for a few "learning dents"). Aside from regular maintenance, all I've had to do was replace a spark plug coil, starter and a few other small things.

Just thought of another piece of advice. Buy something you can get parts for. The one I bought my gf was imported from the US. Can't tell you how many times I bought brake pads or what not only to find out that the US spec. version uses different parts than the locally sold version.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:28 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

It is very important to learn the basics of driving on a car manual. One of my friends told me about carmanuals where you can get quick and reliable information about your vehicle. If you are searching for an English manual then you should visit https://carmanuals.org/ to get the manual online.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:49 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

****** THIS THREAD IS 10 YEARS OLD ******* But here is current info from 2019 when I bought my car

I bought a 2003 rav4 last year and found a guy that works with import customs on selling cars that are impounded and not picked up. What you will find is lots of high mileage cars and ridiculous prices. I paid almost 8k for it but it only had 115k miles on it. A lot of the vehicles we looked at had close to 200k or more miles and even more expensive. The other thing is there are a lot of vehicles imported that have salvage titles and you can use CarFax to get the history on cars from the US. Costa Rica has no such thing as CarFax for its vehicles. You cannot get a quote for insurance until you have possession of the vehicle and take it to INS for inspection. At that point, they will give you a couple of options but for me, full coverage was only $520.00 for the year so I found it cheap. If you do have an accident you are not to move the vehicle until a representative from the company shows up and does their paperwork. From there you can choose a place to take it and they will do everything from there. The annual Marchamo for my car was 125k colones. When I bought it in April last year they charged me 98k to get it registered and pay the marchamo for the rest of the year. It is a process to get the car registered and you will need an attorney to help. It is possible to do on your own but if you do not know anyone that can help (a lot of help) you will spend way more time and aggravation doing it yourself.
Since she is a new driver I would highly recommend not getting a Manual transmission as there is a shit load of steep hills and people climb your ass when stopped. She will be slipping the clutch like you would not believe. I love a manual transmission but I got tired of them in CR because of the stress of rolling back into some idiot on a hill because he is 2 feet off my bumper. I have been on hills over in the area you live that have taken 20 minutes to get through a stoplight on a hill because of traffic so do yourself the favor and get an automatic.
My fiance is doing the driving school now and I am happy to share the experience. You will want to gift the person doing the scheduling 2-10k colones to get you an earlier spot in the class. Have her buy the book and start studying(they just changed the book so if she has one more than 3 months old she needs the new one. The info is ridiculous and nothing like what you need to know in the USA. Lots of mechanical stuff and things you will never encounter in real-life driving but the will not teach her to merge into traffic to save her life. Once she passes the written test you will want to take her out of town for the driving test. The wait is insane in San Jose to get a driving test (months unless you bribe). Out of town possible the same day or a couple of days out plus easier to pass.

As for what type of car, go cheaper as 1.) You make yourself a target with a nice car, 2.) it will get dented even if she does not do it. (I got hit in the back while in a store and came out to find a small dent in the back of my car when walking up to it). The person that hit it just drove of and the cameras that caught it were not good enough to identify the plate number. 3.) A lot of parking spaces are narrow and you will get door dings.

I brought the stereo from the US and installed it myself, same with backup camera which is viewed through the stereo when put in reverse. As for the title it is in my fiance's name. Insurance I do not know about theft of contents but as for an accident they pretty much handle things well and not much hassle once coverage is authorized. They will do a video call with the shop and they will tear apart the damaged section while on video so they know what needs to be done.

Last edited by Ilv4play on Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:53 am 
Well I just helped a gringo friend sell her RAV4 before she returned.to the USA. 2006 automatic, sunroof, sport model. 96,000 miles. Great condition. 4x4.
We went to a few huge used cars lots. They showed no interest in buying it. One guy looked into his computer and said the car was worth 7500$ max. The salesman claimed that Ticos did not like cars imported from the USA for obvious reasons. The RAV4 was from the USA and the Carfax indicated that it had only one previous owner.
The car needed new tires and the windshield needed replaced. Retieve was looming also.
Anyway she sold it for 6250$