www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:26 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I have spent the last couple (6 actually) of years traveling to C.R. Been pretty much to all the major areas..pacific...Carribean and in between. Have looked at homes for sale as well as lots. Have not been in a rush to buy but I suspect that sometime during the next year I will take the plunge. This would be for my retirement home...NOT an investment. I have narrowed my geographical choices to the Grecia/Atenas area and on the other side of San Jose I also like the Orosi Valley. Purpose of this post is to get any comments or opinions as to whether one might be preferable to the other and why. I am specifically referring to either the Grecia.Atenas area versus Orosi Valley. Any input would be appreciated. Thank You.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:47 am 

Location: Downtown San Jose, Costa Rica, the BELLY of the BEAST
I have been to all 3, and Atenas and Grecia are quite a bit bigger than Orosi, especially Grecia. This is good and bad. More places to eat, shop, etc. I got the vibe that Orosi would be a more mellow place to live, with less likelihood of crime but at the same time less convenient and more likely to be boring. Orosi isn't far from Cartago, of course, but I never found much of interest in Cartago, despite it's size. I guess it depends on the trade off between tranquil and boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:34 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Question....

after the first 90 days and you're finished moving in, setting up housekeeping, getting a phone, maid, cable, etc.....

What do you plan on doing with your time ???

San Jose is a long commute, especially at night.

PIDD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:20 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

The climate is different in the two areas. Orosi is cooler and damper. The village of Orosi only has basic services. I could see the need to make reguar trips to Cartago for serious shopping and other errands.

I don't think that you should be so keen to buy property. It is recommended to rent for a year before buying. If you rent you have the option to move if you want to live in a different area. Property is easy to buy in CR but difficult to sell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:07 am 

Pidd is pretty much correct. What will you do with your time after the thrill wears off?

I remember a guy that I met who bought a beautiful finca on a hill that overlooked a pretty but isolated part of Lake Arenal. He loved the beauty an remoteness of the place. But, after a year he realized that he couldn't get to La Fortuna or anywhere else easily and missed shopping and restaurants etc. And he was unable to sell the place after trying to do so for 3-4 years.

The warts of paradise usually become evident only after the passage of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:00 am 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
That is so the trade off. I visited Cartago/Orisi and Grecia also and liked both but key would be near some conveniences and nightlife/good restaurants (hopefully the kind where ladrones dont come in a butcher you though, another thread discussion).

Maybe you could visit each frequently and ask around for more tipico day tours of what to see, do etc. I was amazed in Cartago i could get a haircut for only 500C. Cart. seemed very reasonable cost of living and beautifu. From the main church plaza beaut. green mountain on all sides!