www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:41 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Is it basically cost prohibitive to ship your electronics and other belongings to Costa Rica? I can see how furniture would be ridiculous but how about your stereos, small appliances artwork etc.. Is it even allowed?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:33 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Many people ship whole households full of stuff down, typically in a shipping container.

It's not particularly cost effective to ship things that are smaller than a portion of a shipping container.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:48 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I brought down a 40 foot shipping container in 2005. It contained most of my household furniture and appliances such as TVs, commercial stove and oven, refrigerator, beds, stereos, computers, etc.

A lot of it depends on how important the items are to you. Most of the electronics can be purchased here but they are slightly more expensive. The increased local purchase price may be offset by shipping and import taxes.

Bringing in a car is not wise. The taxes and red tape will smoother you. Buy one here.

It would be worth it to you to make a list of what you want to ship and then come down for a few days and shop. Most people shop for big ticket items at Pricesmart (a Costco clone) although I have found appliances cheaper other places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:48 pm 

DIEGO,

Where is pricesmart? I've never seen one? Crazy, uh? Do you find Pricesmart much more expensive than goods in the States or marginally more? Thanks

PURA VIDA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:08 pm 

There are four PriceSmart stores. They are owned by the same guy that started Price Club in San Diego and later sold out to Costco. PriceSmart stores are in many of the carribean countries.

Items are more expensive than Costco. Some double some just 10 to 20 percent. It depends on the items. Looks like the increased costs are based on shipping.

1. PriceSmart Zapote next to the Mall de la Este. It is about 50 mts east of the Registro Nacional and on the other side of the road. It is set way back behind the McDonalds.
2. Heredia on the main road from San Jose to UNA, about 300 mts up the hill from the Atlas factory.
3. Escazu off the pista between Escazu and Santa Ana, just before the Mall Multiplaza.
4. Llorente de Tibas. On the pista Limon going from San Jose toward Limon, get off at Llorente – Tibas, turn right and go about 500 mts, then and look for the sign on your right.

I have found that tires and batteries are a big savings over the other tire stores in town. On the other hand, I bought a 42" plazma at a local agricultural coop because it was a lot less than PriceSmart.

If you join, DO NOT take the option for the BAC credit card / free membership. It is a serious rip off.