www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C.R. Real Estate Update
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:15 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

O.K.---I started looking at modest homes ($125K - $200K) in C.R. about 2 years ago (i.e. Atenas, Grecia..) but have not done anything yet. My questions is really pretty general here but, overall, how have prices held up in C.R. during the past year given the big downturn in the U.S. market and the overall state of global economie's. Have prices come off at all in C.R. or held their own (compared to say a year or so ago)? Fedback appreciated. Thx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:45 pm 

consider renting.

strongly consider renting.

(export version only, some restrictions may apply, some assembly required, not valid where the sun don't shine...

if you live in the states of Poverty, Darkness or anywhere outside of The Blessings of Civilization Trust, Inc...other rules may apply)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:10 pm 

Californicationdude wrote:
consider renting.

strongly consider renting.

Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:17 pm 

Just my $.02, but I would wait at least a year and see how things shake out before making an investment, even if I were very savvy of the CR market. Things just aren't real stable right now... :?

Disclaimer: The above is merely the opinion of the author unless specific scientific data is included.
Your mileage may vary. https://costaricaticas.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 978#206978

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:14 pm 
My peception is that the over inflated Jaco type beach condo boom is slowly down alot. The prices seemed to have peaked a while back.

The central valley has always been a totally different market. Nothing like the big run-up in prices like what has happened in the beach areas. The prices have gone up in the last 5 yrs but not by much.

Gringos usually pay the gringo price and if they try to sell in a few years it takes forever to sell and not at a good price.

There are townhouse condo developments going up everywhere and a few offer low interest loans (5.9%) by scotia bank 30 yrs fixed with a small down payment.

IMO property the central valley would not be a good investment.

Like the previous poster stated, the rents are very reasonable , so why buy??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:40 pm 

MuchoGusto and others who have invested there can correct me if I am wrong. Its been going on 3 years since I lived in CR. Renting is fine...but for medium or long term return on investment...you CAN find deals here and there anywhere in CR. It just takes time and patience. ANd as has often been emphasized...get plenty of sound legal advise and due diligence before you buy or give 1 dollar in deposit. Probably can trust attorneys or realtors that experienced investors like MuchoGusto have used there. If you want my list of 25 shitty lawyers i knew in costa rica...I can send it to you so you can have fun too... :roll:

In summary...if someone does it RIGHT, you can make a good investment and gain income and growth of your investment there. Rent as we all know goes right out the window. IMHO and YMMV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:38 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Guys, I have found that nice places have at least held their value and some of the more desirable locations have increased.

I purchased a nice condo approx 18 months ago and since I only come to CR on a limited basis I am now interested in selling a 1/3 interest for $100,000 to two other guys who come to CR on a limited basis. I've had quite a few folks interested since many of us come to CR for a month or two at a time before we choose to live here Full time. So far, no one has complained about the price. Some realtors have said I should ask more; and of course list with them. :)

Is low self esteem a prerequisite for being a good Ho or is it a result? ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:28 am 

Did I read that right? You are selling a 1/3 share for $100,000? Man, that must be a very nice condo... :shock:

Disclaimer: The above is merely the opinion of the author unless specific scientific data is included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:45 am 

my advice to first rent is grounded in the belief that it is easier to buy than to sell.

also, you have more freeedom to change locations without the hassle of selling.

in addition, you do not tie up a lot of money or assume a lot of financial liability.

also, you avoid all the hassles of ownership and the risk of loss of equity in value.

true, you lose out on any possible equity gains.

how much do you think residential real estate values will continue to grow in CR?

I would bet they will remain flat at best for the next few years.

i wouldn't be in any hurry to buy.

(export version only, some restrictions may apply, some assembly required, not valid where the sun don't shine...

if you live in the states of Poverty, Darkness or anywhere outside of The Blessings of Civilization Trust, Inc...other rules may apply)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:52 am 

Cali,

You make some valid points. I know this subject of "owning vs. renting" is a very sensitive issue with some people, so I won't offer much detail. It is not only a financial issue, but also a lesser thought of issue concerning "lifestyle." There are many "myths" that "owning is always better than renting." :?

By the way.......you forgot to mention a VERY important reason why renting in CR is better than owning......the issue about chica's rights concerning living arrangements with a gringo.

It was always my feeling that "the best thing about living in a small apartment is...that nobody wants to live with you." 8)

Zebra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:23 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Quote:
By the way.......you forgot to mention a VERY important reason why renting in CR is better than owning......the issue about chica's rights concerning living arrangements with a gringo.
A good point!

When you decide to live with someone you have to be very careful!! I know several guys which got kicked out of their house by their girlfriends! All of them were in the lucky situation that they didn't own the place!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:33 pm 

Tman wrote:
...Renting is fine...but for medium or long term return on investment...you CAN find deals here and there anywhere in CR. It just takes time and patience. ANd as has often been emphasized...get plenty of sound legal advise and due diligence before you buy or give 1 dollar in deposit.

IMO, this should be a "Sticky" for anyone who's even thinking about buying/investing in real estate..... ESPECIALLY in CR ! Remember - you can NEVER do too much homework! :shock:

MG :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:38 pm 

I think there are going to be some great deals in CR in the next year or so as belt tightening (noose?) continues in the US. Home prices in the PNW have not fallen a ton but there are just NO buyers. Lots and lots of luxury items (cars, boats, vacation properties) on the market at fire sale prices as people lighten the load. Canadians are having a field day with anything they can drag north, eh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:57 pm 

Californicationdude wrote:
... it is easier to buy than to sell.
From what I saw in CR this is my belief also, there's nice houses that have been on the market for years. If down the road you need to sell and get out be prepared for a long wait or perhaps a loss unless you get lucky. Since renting a decent place can be so affordable it may make sense to just rent and invest that money elsewhere. On the other hand I saw some remarkable deals in CR foreclosures which is the only way I would buy but I never pay retail for property anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:01 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Yes, Pac55 it is a nice condo. It's nicer than what I have in the US.

I agree with the chica issue. I was really sweating it when I broke with a chica a few months back. I was oh so careful to keep my cool. She had a 5 year old son living with us and all she would have had to do was call the Police and I would have been out. It was so dicey that I had my local attorneys on standby for several days just in case I got tossed in jail. I was damn lucky. :roll:

If you have any stupid thoughts like I did of homesteading a chica, be smart enough to only do it in furnished rental property. I was able to get her to move with guilt and cash, but it could have cost me mucho more.

Is low self esteem a prerequisite for being a good Ho or is it a result? ;-)