www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:40 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I am going to give it a shot this fall to move down to Costa Rica right after the end of this rainy season. I will probably stay a year to see if it's the right choice. I will probably keep my banking in the US for the moment. But is it really as simple as arriving on finding an apartment or are there other technicalities that I need to consider.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:21 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: Downtown San Jose, Costa Rica, the BELLY of the BEAST
Honkytonk wrote:
I am going to give it a shot this fall to move down to Costa Rica right after the end of this rainy season. I will probably stay a year to see if it's the right choice. I will probably keep my banking in the US for the moment. But is it really as simple as arriving on finding an apartment or are there other technicalities that I need to consider.

It can be almost that simple. You'll have to leave the country every 90 days for 72 hours. I find that having a local bank account is convenient. I had an ATM card eaten by a machine (my US card) and had a HELL of a time getting it returned. A year is a nice long time to make up your mind. I made up mine in about 2 months. Getting a telephone, especially a cell phone, can be a hassle. My first apt came with it's own phone, so no problem there for me. Beyond that, I didn't have any major problems, other than learning my way around and dealing with a new culture and language. You may have problems with not being horny anymore, it's rather a shock to the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:55 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

It depends on how and where you want to live. You'll probably want to find a furnished place, so go cheap and short term. Then you can take your time to find a place you like.

Yes, keep your US bank account for now. Make sure you find a place that has a phone, because it can take months to get a new phone line installed and you have to be a resident or own a corporation to do it. Same with cell phones.

You should probably do some recon work before you fly down, find out where you want to live, and under what conditions.