www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:07 am 
I do not recommend over staying your tourist visa but I have known many many people who have and they have not had any trouble leaving or re entering CR.

No worries.

I know a guy who over stays 9 months every year and he has neverhad a problem.

The real problem with over staying is the risk of getting caught in an immigration sweep or having your ID checked by the police.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:35 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Yeah, i've known guys that stay 2 years or more. However, they've not been without incident. Once, a guy was held in immigration coming back into the country for 12 hours. They told him he had to have a return ticket, but wouldn't let him out to buy one. He had to call someone to buy a ticket for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:53 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Just like anything else, you roll the dice and take the risks by not following the rules. Generally, and I have many friends who do overstay, there is no problem. But that doesn't mean there won't be....
I always made sure I either left or found another way to stay legal. The small cost and three days it takes to do the bus to Nicaragua or Panama isn't that big a deal and I do like seeing new places. Unfortunately, in the case of Nicaragua, once was enough for me.
Personally, I received TODAY my receipt from immigration with my migration case number so no more of those damn trips out ever again!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:44 am 

Prostoner wrote:
Just like anything else, you roll the dice and take the risks by not following the rules. Generally, and I have many friends who do overstay, there is no problem. But that doesn't mean there won't be....
I always made sure I either left or found another way to stay legal. The small cost and three days it takes to do the bus to Nicaragua or Panama isn't that big a deal and I do like seeing new places. Unfortunately, in the case of Nicaragua, once was enough for me.
Personally, I received TODAY my receipt from immigration with my migration case number so no more of those damn trips out ever again!!!!!!!!

How are you applying for residency? Are you getting married or do you have a baby coming? I can't think of any other way, other than depositing $60K or investing big bucks.

Concering overstays. This time I am late and I have inquired. What I hear is that they write or stamp your passport with "overstay" however, I hear they do not enter it in their system. So, the next time you are late, they give you another "overstay" stamp. The word is that three strikes and you are out. They take your passport and you have to fight big time to get it back. They also can deport you for 10 years. I have heard of the $1 per day fine, but I haven't heard of it being enforced. My neighbor was late for his third time at the Panama border in a car. He is American, but Colombian born, and speaks fluent spanish. He had to beg and argue for 2 hours and they finally said "phuck it" and let him in. He also lied and said he was married to his Costa Rican girlfriend in the car with him.

There is a way around. One your second strike, go to the embassy and get a new passort. Since they don't track it in their system, they have know way of knowing your history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:52 am 

Location: Referred to the OIG by Mucho Gusto after mysterious fire at his gay night club.
Chi_trekker wrote:
How are you applying for residency? Are you getting married or do you have a baby coming?

I'm waiting for this answer. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:35 pm 

Hey Chi, I try not to go over but I have this time and a few times. The times me and my friends have been over, I have gone over and paid my exit tax and said nothing like normal... So far I haven't been given a hassle. But you never know....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:07 am 

Thirdworld wrote:
Hey Chi, I try not to go over but I have this time and a few times. The times me and my friends have been over, I have gone over and paid my exit tax and said nothing like normal... So far I haven't been given a hassle. But you never know....

I plan to pay my exit tax at the bank and then fly out of the Pavas airport. I doubt they really give a shit there. The thought of a bus ride up to Nicaragua makes me want to vomit. I'll fly to the bocas with my dogs and chill in a cabina over the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:48 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Ive been picked up by immigration in the passed. spent four days locked up in immigration jail. I dont recommend this to anyone! My immigration paperwork was and is in transit while this was taking place. i made the mistake of not having the paperwork with me. My passport had passed its 90 days but since my paperwork was in transit they had to verify it. it took 4 days!

Ive been over for long periods because of the paperwork but they always recommend that your visa be valid when you go to immigration or any other legal process here.

Someone i know got picked up by immigration police and get deported to the US with a 10 year entrance ban. just like that. Now he has had many legal issues in the states but CR is a better place without him.

My 2 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:54 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I am over 3 monthes right now and am leaving next week to states , and to be quite honest I'm scared shitless ... The good news is , My passport is brand new ... I only have 2 stamps on it. last one in January and the other right after I got it last year.

Where do I pay the exit tax at ? I don't want any problems and will pay any fees to speed up my exit from this country( I also want to be able to come back.)

also I have a friend who says the can get me a fake stamp for $200? ( but supposedly its the real thing.) I really prefer not to go that route, but does anyone think I should before I go , or just pay the exit fees and roll the dice... I mean can i get deported permanetly for staying over 3 monthes on a new passport ??

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:57 pm 

The answer is, they can do whatever they want really. Chances are, no... unless they really don't like you and want to get rid of you.

Just be prepared to pay someone off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:14 am 
You are not going to have to pay anyone off. Don,t worry there is no reason to be nervous when you leave. You do not even have to go go through immigration when you leave. Don't offer anyone a bribe either. No worries. I always worry when I re-enter because then you go through immigration. Your risk is upon re-entry, but even then a very small risk.

Do not buy the fake stamp because a few years ago they started with the computer system , so a stamp is not good enough. Your fake exit and entry must be in the computer also. Having only a fake stamp could actually could cause you trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:05 pm 

While you're absolutely correct, the problem is when re-entering costa rica, I don't think the computer system is what you think it is.

I believe the computer system is merely the interpol computer, which is used to verify that you are not a wanted criminal by interpol. I don't think anything actually goes into the computer system for their use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:49 pm 

TheMadGerman wrote:
While you're absolutely correct, the problem is when re-entering costa rica, I don't think the computer system is what you think it is.

I believe the computer system is merely the interpol computer, which is used to verify that you are not a wanted criminal by interpol. I don't think anything actually goes into the computer system for their use.

Costa Rica has always kept a record of entries and exits from the country. It was done manually and was months and months behind and subject to many errors.

They have computerized the process and DO keep records of your arrivals and departures. At this time the main purpose is to make sure that foreigners holding residency meet the minimum days in country that their particular category of residency requires. Like most systems that become automated they will add more and more record keeping functions into the system in the future.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:39 am 

I have an easy temporary band-aid of your visa is overdue in CR. Simply find someone who isn't. Photocopy their recent entry stamp. Take the fotocopy of the stamped page and laminate together with your passport foto page. Since the law states you don't need to carry around your real passport, how the hell are they going to know the difference????

Keep in mind - this only works while you are IN the country. For example, sitting in a place and the immigration police come in. This does not work at the border. (I know this is obvious, but there is no intelligence test when you sign up for CRT)

Post subject: Re: Hypnogogowatamus
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:23 pm 

[quote="Greengo"]As i morph from my waitin for the end of month stipend DTs into a hypnogogical trembling stupor i seem to remember sensing some very creative indviduals during my astral sweep of the "county line" :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink:[/quote]

Mill Villages, The Company Store, half day saturdays, and All Day on sundays.

Fridays home by dusk, respectful of the sabath

Karma is a boomerang