www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Junk Yard in San Jose
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:28 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Okay. The car I just bought lasted 2 days and I need to send it to the graveyard. 8) ...Just kidding. Sorry to load this section up with stupid car questions.

Does anyone know where to find a junk yard?

I need a jack and a specific tool that will release the spare tire of my particular model. I don't think I can order this stuff anywhere. I'd rather pull it ouf of a junk yard car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:01 pm 

maybe an insurance office/agent would know.

i don't think costa rica has the kind of junk yards commonly found in the US.

how about some local repair shops? they got to have some kind of grapevine for info.

maybe a modest finder fee would produce results.

(export version only, some restrictions may apply, some assembly required, not valid where the sun don't shine...

if you live in the states of Poverty, Darkness or anywhere outside of The Blessings of Civilization Trust, Inc...other rules may apply)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:32 pm 

In Costa Rica junk yards are lumped with auto part places so it is hard to differentiate them since they both use the same name "repuestos" Your best bet is to get a local mechanic and let him search.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:39 pm 

This thread made me think of the salvage yard on the road to the airport, outside of San Jose......I'm sure you've all seen it, the front half of a Chevy Vega sticking out of the front wall of the place. :P

OK, all you youngsters out there.....I'm waiting for you to ask:
WHAT'S A CHEVY VEGA ?? :?

ANSWER: General Motors' response to THE 1973 GAS CRISIS!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:03 am 

Location: Referred to the OIG by Mucho Gusto after mysterious fire at his gay night club.
Zebra wrote:
ANSWER: General Motors' response to THE 1973 GAS CRISIS!! :roll:

Fords was the Pinto! Now that was a machine to be proud of! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:42 am 

Actually, I didn't even think of it. Ticos are such a bunch of scrappers, I wonder if Junkyards just don't really exist!!! Everything is immediately salvage on the spot.

For example, if there is an accident and a car is totalled. They insurance comes and does the investigation. Do thieves then take the car to be disassembled and sold in parts? :oops: It would be a lucrative business. There are shitloads of accidents, because people just don't know how to drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:19 am 

Spanky wrote:
Fords was the Pinto! Now that was a machine to be proud of! :D

...Especially the 1972 models with the exploding gas tanks!!! :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:47 am 

Oh yeah, the Ford Pinto :? ...........Remember how the people who were driving them were putting signs in the rear window that read:

FORD PINTO
EXPLODING GAS TANK
STAY BACK!!

Those were the days. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:10 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Junkyard Dog here, now we are talking my language!!
Yes, there are all sorts of junkyards in CR, and to be politically correct at least in the good ol USA we now call them automotive recycling centers,,, the j word is out, but calling myself recycling center dog just does not sound right...
I have been to a bunch of them. They have many of the little filthy greasy 2 man operations everywhere once you get out of the congested area of SJ. As a previous poster stated there are a bunch of them on the way to the airport. And there are quite a few progressive nice clean real business operations much like we have here in the usa, but you have to look for them. My favorite is one about halfway to Cartago on the left. He is hooked up with Miami to get parts shipped in. And there is one that stands above the rest and is right in SJ called Guaycamayo or something like that. Any cab driver would know this place. Its right in one of the rotundas but I cant remember which one. Its a good ways from the gulch but I have actually walked there several times from downtown. Its out toward the prison. Anyway, this salvage operation could rival any first class recycling center in the usa, it is a clean modern very impressive facility. I think any taxi driver could find it by asking for lugar de repuestos usados con la nombre Guacamayo.I know the spelling is off but thats how it sounds.
I know a lot more on this subject and if needed pm me for more info.
To change the subject a bit but related I had a neat idea that gets a lot of attention here in the usa. In NC and many other states we only have a back license plate. Of course a lot of other states have both front and back and this idea would not work there. We are allowed to put anything on the front that we want to . Businesses can advertise by way of a custom plate, most people put a state id tag, or you can just leave it empty. But ol JD here thought about it and went around to the recycling centers in CR and bought 3 CR license tags for the front of my cars and trucks and I probably am the only person in the usa with CR front tags. Gets a lot of attention and is a talking point. I have had a lot of fun with them. So amigos, if sometime you happen to see a Jeep, an Avalanche, or a Mercedes with CR plates on the front just look for the ol Junkyard Dog and say hi!! Adios, JD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:56 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Which airport? I live by Pozos are they on the main street that goes through Pozos? Thanks

I just picked up a 91 Toyota Cressida mark 2

I'm looking for a new dash, center console, visor, maybe even more stuff that car is beat lol

Also some used 16-17" rims and tires. It has I think 14" rims which and good tires of you want to keep them as well.

In a perfect world I would pay for someone to get them and install it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:55 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

In a perfect world, you would not have bought a twenty year old beat up toyota and paid two grand for a car that would have cost you $200 in the States.
Pura Vida

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:56 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Mickymoose wrote:
In a perfect world, you would not have bought a twenty year old beat up toyota and paid two grand for a car that would have cost you $200 in the States.
Pura Vida

Amen, but it does run really well and is diesel. If I can just make a couple fixes it will do fine for me.

It's just so hard to find anything around here.

I mean just rims and tires have been so hard to find!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:49 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Worldly wrote:

Also some used 16-17" rims and tires. It has I think 14" rims which and good tires of you want to keep them as well.

There is the problem. :P

If BK attorneys could get paid in rims by their clients (filer), they would be in the rim business.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:56 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Best place I can think of is Guacamaya, in one of the rotondas on Circumvalacion. The 3rd one East bound counting from Plaza America, I think?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:53 pm 

User69 wrote:
Best place I can think of is Guacamaya, in one of the rotondas on Circumvalacion. The 3rd one East bound counting from Plaza America, I think?

They did away with the rotunda at San Sebastien and are about a month and half away of doing away with the one at Plaza America. There will be only two left so headed east bound Guacamaya will be on the south east side of the first rotunda.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine