www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vehicle with no VIN???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:28 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I'm looking at a larger car and ran across one in Escazu. They had a "se vende" sign up and I asked. We met later for a more thorough inspection. They are married - A tico and a mexican/american woman. They both speak great english.... english is the woman's first language.

It is a 2000 Toyota 4 Runner. They say they bought it from the Purdy Auto Dealerhsip. They also say that they need a quick sale as they are moving to Colorado. The last buyer bailed out at the last minute. So, they've even reduced the price.

Sounds great? Here's the problem. I can't find a VIN. The plates are missing on the inner doors. I asked her to look under the hood or in front of the steering wheel. She has found some numbers under the hood, but nothing is a valid VIN. Either she is just ignorant or she is not looking in the right spot.

BTW... I told her it had to be there. She said the dealership imported it directly from Japan or something and there would be no valid VIN. It has a current Riteve and Marchamo til 2009.

Could it be possibly stolen? Why would the plackards on the inner door be missing? Why can't and her husband find the damn VIN?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:24 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Unless they have been ground off of otherwise obliterated, most modern vehicles usually have the VIN stamped on the chassis in multiple locations aside from under the hood. A common location is somewhere on the floor in the passenger compartment. Unfortunately this would involve removing carpets & trim.

This car does sound pretty dodgy if someone has gone to the trouble of trying to remove it's identity.

C U I D A D O !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:33 pm 

I would have them meet me at the Purdy Toyota Dealer where they "bought it " to see what they have to say.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:12 pm 

Chi_trekker wrote:

BTW... I told her it had to be there. She said the dealership imported it directly from Japan or something and there would be no valid VIN.

I have a car that was imported from Korea. I know others who own cars that have been imported from Japan and Germany. None of these cars have ever been titled in the United States but everyone of them has a valid VIN plate on the left front dash visible through the windshield.

Chi_trekker wrote:

Could it be possibly stolen? Why would the placards on the inner door be missing? Why can't and her husband find the damn VIN?

I know the Honda's I owned in the United States had VIN numbers in 15 different locations. It is almost impossible to remove everyone of them. My bet is the car is stolen and I would not just walk away I would run away from it.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:36 pm 

The Toyota dealer should have information on where to find the VIN on the 4 Runner.

Another ploy that crossed my mind...
It is common for jippo repairmen to buy a totaled car (or 2) & make one good one out of the parts. At least here in the US, getting a "clean" title can be a problem. Any car that has been totaled will have a "salvage" title unless a clean title from another car can be obtained. But usually these operators will "reVIN" the repaired car with it's new identity. Perhaps the Ticos haven't figured this out?

This is another possible explanation for a car having a missing identity. If the car is a "hack job" then stay far, far away. Many of these cars have had such poor repairs that they are dangerous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:18 pm 

Red flags. Don't waste your time. Look elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:36 am 

I appreciate the posts and will be cautious. I have basically told this woman where to find the VIN via telephone and I don't think she has a clue. So, far she has given me this:

VZN185LGKPGK5VZ-FE 3378
VZN185-0266427
3L5FG45A340FA02A A51

None are valid VINs. The last could be a car made in Mexico, which wouldn't suprise me, but it translates to a Dodge model in the 80's. So, its bullshit.

The second VZN number is in the VIN field of the RITEVE cert. The problem is - It was raining like a waterfall when I was looking at the car. So she, bascially, walked over with an umbrella and handed me the vehicle documents. I just quickly copied the number of the RITEVE thinking it had to be correct.

I'm taking the car to my trusted mechanic this week. He will have full knowledge of my concerns about it being stolen. I haven't given her a single hint of suspicion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:52 am 
Chi_trekker wrote:
I appreciate the posts and will be cautious. I have basically told this woman where to find the VIN via telephone and I don't think she has a clue. So, far she has given me this:

VZN185LGKPGK5VZ-FE 3378
VZN185-0266427
3L5FG45A340FA02A A51

None are valid VINs. The last could be a car made in Mexico, which wouldn't suprise me, but it translates to a Dodge model in the 80's. So, its bullshit.

The second VZN number is in the VIN field of the RITEVE cert. The problem is - It was raining like a waterfall when I was looking at the car. So she, bascially, walked over with an umbrella and handed me the vehicle documents. I just quickly copied the number of the RITEVE thinking it had to be correct.

I'm taking the car to my trusted mechanic this week. He will have full knowledge of my concerns about it being stolen. I haven't given her a single hint of suspicion.

RUN, MI HIJO! RUN!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:38 am 

QuickBlueFox wrote:
Chi_trekker wrote:

VZN185LGKPGK5VZ-FE 3378
VZN185-0266427
3L5FG45A340FA02A A51

RUN, MI HIJO! RUN!!!

Here's the funny thing. :shock: She was at first cool about an inspection by a mechanic. But, I think her husband explained and now she is getting cold. I have not heard from her since yesterday. Before, she was calling and emailing all the time. :evil:

Please stand by for the conclusion. She will not sucker me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:58 pm 

I am involved in a used car business in the US, and as another posted suggested, a late model car - even not intended for sale in the US, should be loaded up with VINs. I had a Cadillac last year that was missing the VIN plate from the dashboard, and the VIN stickers in the door jambs didn't match the title. I took the car back to the auction where I bought it and demanded my money back. They had a police officer conduct an inspection of the vehicle, and he found the "hidden" VIN which did match the title. I had the auction post a bond to cover the value of the car. We all figured that the doors had been replaced from another Caddy.

Dealers in the USA have the ability to deal with whacky VIN situations that you could not resolve in CR.

I don't care what explanation they come up with - even if YOU are satisfied that the vehicle is legit, when you go to sell it your BUYER will have the same issues.

This problem represents a siginifcant stigma regardless of the outcome, and that stigma will seriously affect the future sale value of the vehicle.

RUN AWAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:57 pm 

IMHO, a gringo driving a car with questionable VIN is a recipe for disaster. What are you going to do when they stop you and you cannot show absolute proof of the car through the VIN, and being a Gringo on top of that?

At best, they would probably impound the car, which you may never see again. At worst they would impound the car, and YOU!!!

You stand the chance of losing your money for the car, and having to hire an attorney, to bail you out of jail, but also to represent you for your stolen vehicle case.

Good luck with this DEAL!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:49 pm 

Santas Bro wrote:
IMHO, a gringo driving a car with questionable VIN is a recipe for disaster. What are you going to do when they stop you and you cannot show absolute proof of the car through the VIN, and being a Gringo on top of that?

At best, they would probably impound the car, which you may never see again. At worst they would impound the car, and YOU!!!

You stand the chance of losing your money for the car, and having to hire an attorney, to bail you out of jail, but also to represent you for your stolen vehicle case.

Yup.... Run Run Run from this deal. It might be fun to see the sellers squirm, but don't take any BS or any empty explanations.

If the deal is too good to be true, IT IS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:17 pm 

Guys,

I'm listening to everything. The funny thing I've learned about this is how much people can phuck with vehicle VINs to get a car sold. Its amazing.... many of those Hurricane Katrina cars have turned up in Costa Rica. Guess what??? With different VINs. VINs of cars that supposedly were never in accidents or floods.

Okay... here is the deal. At this point, I'm almost interested in how this turns out and am certain I will not make an offer. The only reason why I'm still in this is my mechanic said the thing was great for the price and I agree. Its a steal.... no pun intended.

I visually inspected everything myself. I CANNOT FIND A REAL VIN!!!! My mechanic and I were under the car looking. We were looking at the engine. The only thing there was a plaque above the air filter with the three numbers mentioned above which are meaningless.

At this point, I'm certain the car was stolen. Right now, I have a "friend" at INS running the Placa number to get its "supposed" history. Funny... my mechanic and I were looking at the Riteve and the Registro and everything looked legit. He told me to HIRE A LAWYER TO REVIEW EVERYTHING.... like I beleive that will help????

At this point, I have nothing to do but pass it up.

Another shady thing.... On the way back from the inspection.... the owner was driving. He said that my lawyer might see a little "thing" about a lien. But don't worry, he has all the documentation to show it is fully paid for. Yeah RIGHT!!!!!!!! If he can falsify VINS, RITEVES and REGISTRATIONS.... why can't he falsify a few bank documents.

The other shady thing he said.... Can you pay in two checks if we agree to something over $10k???? The government typically tracks and audits stuff over $10K and he just wanted to keep it "private."

I'm playing along so I said "sure" no problema.

Finally, the clue that is even making this more clear.... He asked what bank I use. I said BAC San Jose. He said "Funny.... the money willl never leave BAC. I'm using all proceeds to pay off my credit cards before I leave for the states.

I was like .... OHHHH MY GAWWDDD. Did you just say that?

Here's what this guy is doing..... IMHO...

Either he bought it and didn't know it was stolen and is trying desperately to unload it.

Or, he needs money. Had it stolen. Got all the documentation together and is now cooly trying to sell it.

FYI... I caught both the husband and wife in conflict about when they were actually flying to the states. She said this Thursday. He said next Tuesday.

YAAAAA RIGHT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:25 am 

Santas Bro wrote:

Santa,

Believe it or not - the Police here could mostly care less if your car is stolen, providing they are NOT ACTUALLY CATCHING YOU IN THE ACT OF STEALING IT. I've been pulled over several time and they have never asked for a Registration. They only want to see a copy of my passport and then its a simple bribe of $20. They WILL look at the Marchamo and Riteve sticker in the window, because then they can FAKE write you another ticket and then ask if you'd rather pay on the spot, instead of going to court. :shock: :lol: :lol:

The last time I got pulled over was for a seat belt violation. He didn't even completely fill out the ticket. But, after payment, cooly asked me if I would like a receipt. LOL... I declined and drove away.

I would be mostly concerned about two things:

1. Sleeping at night know that I have a stolen car in my garage.
2. Trying to sell the thing and having every buyer (rightfully) question me, look down on me and then walk away.
3. Getting the Riteve done by an honest inspector
4. Getting into an accident and then INS claiming the car is not mine

The car has essentially been "laundered". The only thing they forgot to do was to go to the Junkyard to buy the VIN plaques of a totalled 2000 r Runner for the inner door, under the hood and the stamp under the windshield. I wonder why they didn't go the extra mile?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:45 am 

Chi_trekker wrote:
2000 4 Runner

I just noticed that this was a 4 Runner. I met another dealer from whom I bought a car in New York (Long Island) last year. We got to talking about CR, and he has been there quite a bit too.

He told me that there was a racket going for a long time where someone bought a 4 Runner in the USA, then shipped it to CR and sold it AFTER REMOVING THE VIN PLATES.

Then they took the VIN plates back to the USA, stole another 4 Runner, removed its VIN plates, and then replaced them with the plates from the CR 4 Runner so it looked like the one shipped to CR.

Apparently they guys doing this shipped several hundred 4 Runners to CR before they finally got caught in the USA.

So this isn't the only F'ed up 4 Runner in CR.

My guess is that your seller probably isn't the crimnal but knows he has a compromised truck and is trying to unload it. This story is probably being repeated all over CR.