www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:50 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Okay, those of you living in Costa Rica or any other countries for that matter. I am currently at a stage in life when I am thinking about retiring abroad. Not tomorrow mind you, but within the next 7 to 10 years.

As they say, "want to make God laugh, tell him your plans" But seriously, I would sincerely like to know what those of you that live abroad think are the most serious considerations for making the move.

I currently thing they are access to good health care and decent personal security as none of us are getting younger. I also thought access to some youngish tail on occasion and inexpensive cost of living.

Also; Rent versus Buy: I beleive it is probably best to rent, so that if you have to come back to the Land of the Big PX you can do so without having a house saddled around you.

Can someone tell me if there are other considerations that I should take into account of if I am off base about the criteria I mentioned? Thanks. :wink:

If you are not currently living abroad or have some good insight I would also like to hear it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:46 pm 

I think about this everyday. 5-7 years is my goal. Sooner if I could keep my current job and work from somewhere else.

Retiring Abroad
Is international retirement right for you?
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/advice/20020903a.asp

An introduction to retiring abroad.
http://www.grandtimes.com/Retiring_Abroad.html

Retiring abroad - why not?
http://www.mexconnect.com/MEX/jrose/jrf ... laces.html

http://www.escapeartist.com/retirement/ ... ment2.html
http://www.stretcher.com/stories/05/05sep12a.cfm

Living Abroad
http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Americans_Abroad.shtml
http://www.livingabroad.com/
http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listin ... ndex.shtml
http://www.expatexchange.com/
http://www.livingabroadin.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:58 pm 

I was in the ESL business for quite a while. I have lived/worked in 6 countries. Picking a country is probably the toughest part. Since you are in the retirement phase of your life, you are in a better position than I was. I always had to worry about potential employers and thier ability to pay. Shop around. I know many single retirees that say Cambodia is the place to be. You can retire on much less, live great, good medical system.
Others want all the comforts of the US and are willing to pay the big dollars to retire with them. So places like CR or Guadalajara,Mexico are thier first picks. I would recommend renting. You will not be familiar with the system enough to buy right away. I would also factor in your ability to learn the local language. This is an absolute must. And is easily done with time and practice. I have learned 4 languages in my journey around the world, and I am not all that smart. You really must enjoy the culture as well. Every culture has quirks but you must be able to accept them. For example, you will rarely get a straight answer from a Thai. It would be against the face culture. In Mexico everything is done tomorrow, no matter what time of day it is. Just little things. I would really suggest a bit of out of the box thinking as far as where to retire. If you follow the trail of gringos to CR or parts of Mexico, it kills the real purpose of living in a foreign country.

Personally, I will probably end up in Indonesia when my working days are done. Great food, endless supply of beautiful, non- gringa like ladies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:57 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

As you get ready as I am getting ready this what I am considering. First I am looking at this as one of my last great adventures.

Healthcare: What is it like? How much? Where is it? For instance. I am considering CR and would like to live at the beach. I am not sure that is realistic since it seems high level healthcare is available in SJO

Politcal situation: I do not want to loose my money in the bank to a new gov't. Do they like Americans (diminishing pool )

Life style: cost of living, what is there to do.

Housing: What level of US comforts do I want.

Proximity to family: Do I want my Ch*ldren to easily be able to come see me or be able to come home.

Climate: Do I want hot or temperate.

These are the ones that jump out in a few minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:46 am 

Guess I will throw in my 1 and 1/2 cents worth. I am a retiree living in Costa Rica for the past 1&1/2 years. I am living on SS which is not always easy (could be because I like to pluck tooooo much). First off, I would suggest making a list of the pros and cons and your personal reasons for wanting to live in another country. Things I have found and think should be considered are (many have already been listed here):

1. Learn the language--Do not quote me , but I have ben told that 75% of the people that move to Costa Rica leave within the 1st year if they do not speak spanish at least well enough to comunicate with people here.

2. Be willing to adjust to and accept the differences in living conditions, attitudes and philosophies, religious and moral beliefs, and in the way the people look at you and treat you as a foreigner living in there country. Remember that in almost any other country, you, as an American are seen as "rich" no matter if you are or not. And as such, there are many that will try to take advantage of you.

3. Look at your present and possible future medical needs. How good and how available are medical services. Medical insurance--cost and again, availability.

4. Cost of living- Is it such that you can live and do the things your want on the mony you will have available? Consider inflation in the country or possibility there of. And one other that I did not consider(because of the historically strong dollar)--that being the now very weak dollar. When CR finally quit artificially supporting the dollar a few weeks ago, and with the resulting rise in prices on everything here, it cost me about $200 a month. As an expatriate living on US dollars, you get hit from both ends; less colones when changing your $ and higher prices on everything.

5. Along the same lines-- be prepared for it to cost 20%-40% more to live than you think.

6. How close are you to your family, can you accept living far away from them and not seeing them every weekend or even every month? And can they accept the same. How quickly can you get back home in case of a family emergency?

7. Weather-- What kinds of activities do you enjoy? Will the weather permit these activities? Another point--Are they even available?--And remember that even in a small country such as CR, weather can vary drastically from one area to another.

8. Safety: How stable is the government; How good are fire and police protection?

9. Rent or buy: My personal opinion is even if you want to buy, rent to begin with till you are sure it is the country you want to live in and you know the country well enough to know what area is best suited for you and what you want.

I am sure there are other things to consider. The above are just some of the ones I have found most important for me.

good luck in making your decision

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:12 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

MrLasVegas wrote:
I was in the ESL business for quite a while. I have lived/worked in 6 countries. Picking a country is probably the toughest part.

Mr. Las Vegas, I have some questions about ESL. I'll send you a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:19 pm 

Yes I know I"m in my 20's chiming in abuot a retirement forum, but I think many people miss two hugely important points when planning for something like this.

1) Medical preparation - The best thing you can do in the years leading up to planning for medical costs, is to exercise everyday in a meaningful way and eat healthy. IF you get in the best shape you have been in for 20 years, it will reduce certain costs and risks. Of course not all, but it will make a huge difference for you. It also will make you enjoy life much more and keep up with the kittens. It's not an overnight thing, but over years, making it habitual and enjoyable, will make a huge difference.

2) Learning to live with expense control today - If you don't live today with only the things you really need and a few things you want, cutting out things you don't really need, then you aren't going to pull it off later. If you can train yourself over time for good spending habits and decisions, you won't have to later and you will save more in the process.

I think a lot of people mess this up, I am a huge offender, but am working on it.

My two cents, two things you should think about 7 years in advance for sure.

I max out my 401k and get profit sharing in an ERISA type account and I invest and I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and eat healthy 5-6 days a week, and have plans to do that for the next 20 years, when I turn 50, if I don't go the family route which I imagine is 50/50 in my case, I will be living abroad and not working, that's for damn sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:00 am 

Ron, I have read and enjoyed your posts ever since you joined CRT. Your pace at mongering at your age is nothing short of amazing. That said, I was hoping that you had the the discipline to plan save and invest for your future. Based on your last post, it appears that you arre on track for financial stability and good future health. Keep it up. I have been retired for 2.5 years and I still have to pinch myself that I now have 100% discretionary time after a lifetime of suffering through 50-70 hour workweeks. There is nothing like a good retirement if you have your health and the means to do most of the things you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:01 am 

Ron, I have read and enjoyed your posts ever since you joined CRT. Your pace at mongering at your age is nothing short of amazing. That said, I was hoping that you had the the discipline to plan save and invest for your future. Based on your last post, it appears that you arre on track for financial stability and good future health. Keep it up. I have been retired for 2.5 years and I still have to pinch myself that I now have 100% discretionary time after a lifetime of suffering through 50-70 hour workweeks. There is nothing like a good retirement if you have your health and the means to do most of the things you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:45 am 

Beyond deciding on a location and saving the appropriate funds, I think it is important to consider what you will do with your time once you move. It is important to have something to do other than your vices of choice or you will likely go crazy and burn out. Some decide to work again, some learn the language, some start new families.

The unhappiest guys seem to be the daytime barstool guys that have too much time on their hands. Also, if you have any issues with the vices it will likely get worse here due to easy access and relatively low prices. I have found it necessary to have a regular week and socialize primarily on the weekends. The first six months I lived here, basically I lived like most of CRT does on a 5 day rampage. Now I am in the gulch no more than twice a week.

BKTUNA
I am never going home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:52 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Bktuna wrote:
Beyond deciding on a location and saving the appropriate funds, I think it is important to consider what you will do with your time once you move. It is important to have something to do other than your vices of choice or you will likely go crazy and burn out. Some decide to work again, some learn the language, some start new families.

The unhappiest guys seem to be the daytime barstool guys that have too much time on their hands. Also, if you have any issues with the vices it will likely get worse here due to easy access and relatively low prices. I have found it necessary to have a regular week and socialize primarily on the weekends. The first six months I lived here, basically I lived like most of CRT does on a 5 day rampage. Now I am in the gulch no more than twice a week.

BKTUNA
I am never going home

All though not retired yet I am betting this is great advice. One of my ongoing thoughts is staying busy. I know I will chase women and work out at the gym. That is good but I need something to do for the other 90% of my waking time. I think I will need some type of business or work to keep me in a routine that makes me happy.