www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:01 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Went to the playa with my 19 yo chica last year. On the second day I went down to breakfast, the chica to follow in a few. Serving me coffee, my waitress innocently asked, "will your grand- daughter be joining you today?

"Oh, you mean my wife!" Her look was precious.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:14 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Boynton wrote:
1. Ticos will never, ever, 100% accept you. You will always be considered an ATM, even among those who befriend you. This has nothing to do with the hobby. Don't take it personally you are rich, elite, and a Ch*ld of privilege, regardless of your self-identity in the USA. Nobody can beg like a Tico, don't call them on it.

What do you mean by, “don’t call them on it”? Like don’t cause them to lose face by calling them beggars? Don’t tell them “no” with disgust?

It’s been my experience that no matter how ludicrous their claim, if you tell them it is ludicrous or you don’t believe them, they get highly offended. But, they forget all about it the next time they see you.

The funniest experience I had was one day I got 4 text messages, from 4 different girls, all claiming their mother had breast cancer and was sick or dying and they cannot afford the medicine to treat her. I sent them screenshots of the other girls’ same message. They didn’t get offended, they went away and quit texting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:38 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I can recall one time going through immigration, I put one of the girl friendly hotels on my immigration card, Obviously the immigration officer recognized it and he didn't seem to mind, as he told me "you're going to have a good time tonight"!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:33 pm 

Rolleratnight wrote:
Boynton wrote:
1. Ticos will never, ever, 100% accept you. You will always be considered an ATM, even among those who befriend you. This has nothing to do with the hobby. Don't take it personally you are rich, elite, and a Ch*ld of privilege, regardless of your self-identity in the USA. Nobody can beg like a Tico, don't call them on it.

What do you mean by, “don’t call them on it”? Like don’t cause them to lose face by calling them beggars? Don’t tell them “no” with disgust?

It’s been my experience that no matter how ludicrous their claim, if you tell them it is ludicrous or you don’t believe them, they get highly offended. But, they forget all about it the next time they see you.

The funniest experience I had was one day I got 4 text messages, from 4 different girls, all claiming their mother had breast cancer and was sick or dying and they cannot afford the medicine to treat her. I sent them screenshots of the other girls’ same message. They didn’t get offended, they went away and quit texting.

Your example is HookerBeg which is universal and not limited to any time, nation, or culture. TicoBeg is slightly different. It is a product of generations of foreign domination (Spanish, British, USA, PRC). It leads them as a people to expect others to give them resources. It is as ingrained as racism in 'Merica. The Tico response (doctor, lawyer, indian chief) is "If you don't like MY country, YOU should go home (and send aid)".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:17 am 

Boynton wrote:
Rolleratnight wrote:
Boynton wrote:

Your example is HookerBeg which is universal and not limited to any time, nation, or culture. TicoBeg is slightly different. It is a product of generations of foreign domination (Spanish, British, USA, PRC). It leads them as a people to expect others to give them resources. It is as ingrained as racism in 'Merica. The Tico response (doctor, lawyer, indian chief) is "If you don't like MY country, YOU should go home (and send aid)".

Thanks! Many good points. What did you mean in your original post by, “Don’t call them on it”?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:30 am 

Rolleratnight wrote:
Thanks! Many good points. What did you mean in your original post by, “Don’t call them on it”?

Simply this: When a Tico says or does something that you interpret as 'begging', don't try to change them. You can accept it, reject it or ignore it. But telling them to stop begging will just piss them off, not help the situation. It is not the way they see things.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:47 am 

Boynton wrote:
Rolleratnight wrote:

Simply this: When a Tico says or does something that you interpret as 'begging', don't try to change them. You can accept it, reject it or ignore it. But telling them to stop begging will just piss them off, not help the situation. It is not the way they see things.

Very sagacious advice! Yes, it would be like telling a lion to quit killing all the animals. It’s how they hunt! The lion isn’t going to starve because you find its killing offensive. The lion isn’t going to stop hunting just because you aren’t a hunter.