www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:40 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Does Costa Rica accept VA disability checks as a threshold for a retirement pension?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:45 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Beer Made Me wrote:
Does Costa Rica accept VA disability checks as a threshold for a retirement pension?

If they are "for life", and a G or more per month, not temporary, I have a friend who has to renew every 5 years and that won't work for him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:59 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Netgems wrote:
Beer Made Me wrote:

If they are "for life", and a G or more per month, not temporary, I have a friend who has to renew every 5 years and that won't work for him.

Thanks for the response.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:25 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

My question, if it is known, is whether the Caja takes from VA disability pensions as a pensionado, as the US doesn't tax it at all. If so, is it legal to file for the Pensionado using SSDA benefits that are just over 1k, and NOT inform the CR gov't that you receive VA money at all.

NOBODY taxes my blood money.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:39 pm 

vegasveteran wrote:
My question, if it is known, is whether the Caja takes from VA disability pensions as a pensionado, as the US doesn't tax it at all. If so, is it legal to file for the Pensionado using SSDA benefits that are just over 1k, and NOT inform the CR gov't that you receive VA money at all.

Champ, with an attitude like that you should really reconsider filing for a pensionado until you have 1) visited CR a few times, 2) gone on a non-monger relocation tour, and 3) taken a relocation seminar such as the one through ARCR.net.

While I respect and honor the service of US vets, the CR government doesn't give a shit and will tax every penny they can get see. Right now, for a pensionado, it is only a caja tax. In the future, they may also institute a global income tax like many other countries.

I just received my residency as under the pensionado application which I filed in 2017. The rules and processes have changed over the years but here is MY experience. Yours will vary. You have to furnish a legal document that proves a lifetime, irrevocable income of $1,000 per month. You will be taxed 10% of the amount shown on that document. So, if your document says $1,000, your base caja payment will be $100 per month. If it says $2,000, your caja payment will be $200. The document must be notarized and apostilled (certified) by the secretary of state of the US state where it was issued (in my case Tallahassee, Florida). If your VA Disability is irrevocable, that might be accepted but if you file on the basis of it then the amount on the document will be used to calculate your caja payment.

Remember, I said that CR will tax every penny they can see. In my case, I structured my finances by acquiring an annuity that provides exactly $1,000 per month for life. The annuity is from a major financial institution. I did not have to declare all my wealth or income in my residency application. I autopay my caja through an agent which gives me a slight discount, so I pay $90 per month charged to a US credit card.

This does leave me a bit exposed. Any number of things could make more of my money visible. The CR government *could* audit my finances and see that my expenses are greater than $1,000 (this is a reason NOT to use a CR credit card or bank). Someone (pissed off chica, neighbor, etc) could denounce me to any number of CR ministries. US - CR financial reporting agreements could change in the future.

You should consult an immigration attorney about the legality of declaring SSDA benefits without VA benefits. Don't rely on the conjectures of board members. If you take the ARCR.net seminar, you will have the opportunity to ask one face-to-face before retaining any lawyer. The 2-day seminar costs $100.

Marrying a Tica or adopting a Ch*ld can speed the process and lower the caja costs. Of course that opens you up to alimony and Ch*ld support payments. True love ain't cheap. I also know other expats who filed before me that paid less, so the rules change. Don't try to figure it out. If you can't adapt to that level of ambiguity, remain a tourist. I know people who have lived here for years without getting residency. A quick flight to FLL or a land border run to Panama or Nicaragua can be cheaper. There are also an increasing number of flights from SJO to other countries (Mexico, Colombia, etc).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:41 pm 

Boynton wrote:
vegasveteran wrote:

Champ, with an attitude like that you should really reconsider filing for a pensionado until you have 1) visited CR a few times, 2) gone on a non-monger relocation tour, and 3) taken a relocation seminar such as the one through ARCR.net.

While I respect and honor the service of US vets, the CR government doesn't give a shit and will tax every penny they can get see. Right now, for a pensionado, it is only a caja tax. In the future, they may also institute a global income tax like many other countries.

I just received my residency as under the pensionado application which I filed in 2017. The rules and processes have changed over the years but here is MY experience. Yours will vary. You have to furnish a legal document that proves a lifetime, irrevocable income of $1,000 per month. You will be taxed 10% of the amount shown on that document. So, if your document says $1,000, your base caja payment will be $100 per month. If it says $2,000, your caja payment will be $200. The document must be notarized and apostilled (certified) by the secretary of state of the US state where it was issued (in my case Tallahassee, Florida). If your VA Disability is irrevocable, that might be accepted but if you file on the basis of it then the amount on the document will be used to calculate your caja payment.

Remember, I said that CR will tax every penny they can see. In my case, I structured my finances by acquiring an annuity that provides exactly $1,000 per month for life. The annuity is from a major financial institution. I did not have to declare all my wealth or income in my residency application. I autopay my caja through an agent which gives me a slight discount, so I pay $90 per month charged to a US credit card.

This does leave me a bit exposed. Any number of things could make more of my money visible. The CR government *could* audit my finances and see that my expenses are greater than $1,000 (this is a reason NOT to use a CR credit card or bank). Someone (pissed off chica, neighbor, etc) could denounce me to any number of CR ministries. US - CR financial reporting agreements could change in the future.

You should consult an immigration attorney about the legality of declaring SSDA benefits without VA benefits. Don't rely on the conjectures of board members. If you take the ARCR.net seminar, you will have the opportunity to ask one face-to-face before retaining any lawyer. The 2-day seminar costs $100.

Marrying a Tica or adopting a Ch*ld can speed the process and lower the caja costs. Of course that opens you up to alimony and Ch*ld support payments. True love ain't cheap. I also know other expats who filed before me that paid less, so the rules change. Don't try to figure it out. If you can't adapt to that level of ambiguity, remain a tourist. I know people who have lived here for years without getting residency. A quick flight to FLL or a land border run to Panama or Nicaragua can be cheaper. There are also an increasing number of flights from SJO to other countries (Mexico, Colombia, etc).

Boynton, I doubt that I will live long enough to use your advise, but appreciate your valuable post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:56 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Boyton used to be a decent guy. Now, he sounds just like the typical old man douchebag on CRT; I'll be glad when these old douchebags die off and with your attitude Boyton, I'd consider taking a few classes before posting. No one gives a shit about your opinion. Of course, your experience will vary!!! Now, tranquillo Boyton. Tranquillo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:36 pm 

tjnc34 wrote:
Boyton used to be a decent guy. Now, he sounds just like the typical old man douchebag on CRT; I'll be glad when these old douchebags die off and with your attitude Boyton, I'd consider taking a few classes before posting. No one gives a shit about your opinion. Of course, your experience will vary!!! Now, tranquillo Boyton. Tranquillo.

Death will come for us all, looking forward to another's death is the hallmark of a true douchebag.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:52 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Boynton wrote:
tjnc34 wrote:

Death will come for us all, looking forward to another's death is the hallmark of a true douchebag.

There was a time I enjoyed enjoy your sane comments Boyton; however, it appears you've lived in a cocaine induced hysteria for too long and your comments are coming across as a douchebag. Hopefully, COVID-19 will speed up and provide a natural cleansing obviously not soon enough.

I'm so damn glad I'm a sane man in this messed up world son and as they say, "out with the old and in with the new." Anyway, happy holidays!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:59 pm 

tjnc34 wrote:
Boynton wrote:
tjnc34 wrote:

There was a time I enjoyed enjoy your sane comments Boyton; however, it appears you've lived in a cocaine induced hysteria for too long and your comments are coming across as a douchebag.

Hopefully, COVID-19 will provide a natural cleansing but obviously not soon enough. As they say, "out with the old and in with the new." Anyway, happy holidays!

Harsh, newbie, when you have contributed all of the valuable information that Boynton has , then you can comment.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:15 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Look folks. Here comes the CRT Pack Mentality. Step right up. They can dish it but they can't take it. I bet you a beer they're Packer fans; harsh or just brutally honest? Not my first rodeo.

So, when you and Boyton combined contribute as much as I have to society, then you can have the right to speak to me that way boy!! You understand me?

Now, stop acting like a douchebag to a Veteran asking for input without the douchebag response. Be nice while you still have the time. Tranquillo...Tranquillo.

Pura Vida!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:30 am 

tjnc34 wrote:
Look folks. Here comes the CRT Pack Mentality. Step right up. They can dish it but they can't take it. I bet you a beer they're Packer fans; harsh or just brutally honest? Not my first rodeo.

So, when you and Boyton combined contribute as much as I have to society, then you can have the right to speak to me that way boy!! You understand me?

Now, stop acting like a douchebag to a Veteran asking for input without the douchebag response. Be nice while you still have the time. Tranquillo...Tranquillo.

Pura Vida!!!

Not a Packer fan and thank you for being a vet, will buy you s beer in San Hose.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:34 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Jawanker wrote:
tjnc34 wrote:

Pura Vida!!!

Not a Packer fan and thank you for being a vet, will buy you s beer in San Hose.

This site is great for advice until people start acting like douchebags. I'll pass on the beer; thanks though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:27 am 

tjnc34 wrote:
Boynton wrote:
tjnc34 wrote:

There was a time I enjoyed enjoy your sane comments Boyton; however, it appears you've lived in a cocaine induced hysteria for too long and your comments are coming across as a douchebag. Hopefully, COVID-19 will speed up and provide a natural cleansing obviously not soon enough.

I'm so damn glad I'm a sane man in this messed up world son and as they say, "out with the old and in with the new." Anyway, happy holidays!

dat you ncplayer? banned once and coming back for more? rummaging through the couch cushions again looking for crack droppings?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:14 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I think I detect a raging "bromance" between Boyton and Jawanker.