www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:42 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I have been to CR numerous times. I love it there, I have been to almost every club in SJ dated working girls, non working girls. I have always thought about living there, temporarily or forever depending on circumstances. With the economy being shit here right now and the ability to speak spanish becoming more valuable every day I thought about going to CR to relax and learn spanish. I should easily be able to make it a year on 30k and I can technically do the same thing I do here if there is a good internet connection so it is not inconceivable that I can make 30-50k there not being taxed. So my question is has anyone here tried to do something similar? If so is there anything I should expect. I know I will have to leave the country every 3 or 6 months but not too worried about that. Figuring about 500 a month for a decent place to stay in San Jose. I have never had a problem picking up girls there that weren't hookin, so I'm hoping I can get a few GFs going but I am extremely worried about the temptation of picking up girls at DR or going to ZB everyday. I'd love to hear anyones stories if they tried something similar. This is not retirement, I'm under 30 so just figuring may be better to enjoy life rather than work my ass off in a tough economy and come out with a huge bonus when job searching... spanish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:55 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to become a perpetual tourist for a while. BTW: You will legally have to leave the country every 90 days. You will have no problem getting by on $30-$50k. Unless you spend it on girls! :lol:

I am envious. If I could work in the virtual world I wouldn't be sitting where I am, I'd be in CR! I have heard of many gringos who are doing exactly what you have described. More power to ya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:47 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Happyfloridaguy--If you can make it on savings or can work over the Internet, more power to you. Don't count on non-taxed wages however--If you are a US taxpayer (citizen, resident alien or whatever), your wages everywher are subject to at least filing a US tax return. I'm not a lawyer or offering legal advice, but I'd be very careful of that aspect of living abroad, as revenue-hungry as the US Govt. is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:21 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Need to file a return but have an exemption on income up to $87,600 for tax year 2008.

IRS publication #54 Tax Guide for US Citizens Abroad will answer all your questions.

If you make $30,000 yearly you will be fine, many live down here on much less.

Once you live in CR your spending will be much different then when you are here on vacation. You will learn where deals are to be had for chicas, and if you live in a local community outside of San Jose the local girls are the way to go.