www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:39 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

So I have a 5 year old that I pay Ch*ld support to a cr mother, my payment is 475 per month. So far things have been smooth the last 5 years, but now I heard about a double payment in january as well. This coincides with her getting a costa Rican boyfriend this year (surprise). So When I run my income through my florida state calculator I would owe 280 a month.
So two questions first I know there is double payment in December im ok with that, but January too?? Second is should I just turn the whole thing over to my state and go from there, but I don't know if I enter CR if there is a whole other set of rules and kangaroo court to boot.
Apologize if I posted this in wrong forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:16 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I would not enter CR until everything is all right with the CR authorities.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:48 am 

I don't know the answer but I do know if you owe Ch*ld support and get behind all she has to do is find any police officer and you are in Costa Rica then you are detained/arrested until you are paid current.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:05 pm 

I just found out the January payment is for school items, uniforms, books, etc. it is not necessarily double just what they need for school. If you are able to be there and buy the items needed you will get off cheaper in most cases.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:31 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
I don't know the answer but I do know if you owe Ch*ld support and get behind all she has to do is find any police officer and you are in Costa Rica then you are detained/arrested until you are paid current.

Don't forget about their rule of "Preventative Detention" all it takes is to rub someone the wrong way and you too could wide up in jail for up to two years without being officially charged.
The school thing sounds correct and if legitimate it is for a good reason.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:31 am 

Ilv4play wrote:
I just found out the January payment is for school items, uniforms, books, etc. it is not necessarily double just what they need for school. If you are able to be there and buy the items needed you will get off cheaper in most cases.

Yes this I what I thought. And I'm ok with that, makes sense , school supplies and all that. I remember I used to buy her other K*D supplies and uniform 3 years ago and it was a hundred bucks mayb 150 now they want 480. And I countered but I know what it cost, and they counterd do you want to see your K*D??. So it's like that. So they are 350 asking surplus too much. The gouging never ends I'm ok if it's reasonable....but 6000 bucks a year is quite good above average salary yet they still complain, so if you add in the extra December and January payments etc its around 6700 per year which is higher than the median wage in Costa Rica, .... If I just turn over to U.S. courts it would be lowered to 280 per month... but from what I understand that does not affect Costa Rica land of kangaroo courts. All the shoes and clothes she has are what I bought... they don't even use the money to buy her nice shoes. But what do you do if you litigate it is even more expensive and stress. There is a fine line and the sneaky weasels know this.

Last edited by HunterS on Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:54 am 

You are absolutely correct about most of them using the money for themselves and not the K*ds. I know a woman that has a tico boyfriend that has 2 K*ds and she tells him not to pay the Ch*ld support but when one of the 3 different fathers for her 3 K*ds is late with his payment, she is out looking to have him arrested. What really sucks is that she uses most of the money for her drinking, and the K*ds are not feed properly or clothed decently but they could be if she put her Ch*ldren first.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:55 am 

Ilv4play wrote:
You are absolutely correct about most of them using the money for themselves and not the K*ds. I know a woman that has a tico boyfriend that has 2 K*ds and she tells him not to pay the Ch*ld support but when one of the 3 different fathers for her 3 K*ds is late with his payment, she is out looking to have him arrested. What really sucks is that she uses most of the money for her drinking, and the K*ds are not feed properly or clothed decently but they could be if she put her Ch*ldren first.

Yeah, but it's not a Costa Rican thing. We have that crap here in the states too. It's a 'people' thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:58 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Ilv4play wrote:

This is not confined to CR. It happens all to frequently up here as well. Ch*ldren are used as leverage for money, control & power out of pure spite. Ask me how I know!! (That is just a saying for I have been thru this mess so I know first hand. So you really don't have to ask me how I know! LOL!!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:42 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:

She's not that bad of a parent, no huge partying just normal drinking. They bought a nice car this year, and stay at nice hotels... But i guess that is OK if my daughter is riding in a safe nicer car...so its not all bad..its just that its always more and more nothing is enough ever.. and I own my own business, which after expenses makes only 7-12grand a year.. So they are getting more than half...and always act as if 6700 a year is nothing... peanuts as they say.

I think they are bluffing and know its too much money, but are always trying to get more (thoughts?). Anyways I always feel I'm alone and they are united team trying to milk me, and Im at a disadvantage cause its not my country, nor language and they have a Kangaroo court system that puts gringos and just males in general at a disadvantage out of the gates...

Anyways I really appreciate the feedback guys, its nice to hear other points of view, cause I'm operating in a vacuum other than hearing all their negative comments even though Im sending well over 6grand a year.....probably over seven grand when you include clothes and shoes etc bought for her.. once again thanks for the feedback it does help me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:07 pm 

Hunter,
Having been thru a shitty divorce, but able to keep my Ch*ldren and receive support from my ex, the best advice I ever received was, "get the best lawyer you can't afford", which I did and paid significantly for her.
I basically ended up with everything I wanted, to this day had I retained a cheap divorce lawyer I probably would be paying support and never see my K*ds.
Regards, 911 Driver

The happy hour is a device either for getting rid of social obligations hurriedly en masse or for making overtures toward more serious social relationships, as in the etiquette of whoring.- Brooks Atkinson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:05 am 

475/mo on 7-12 grand income? Who determined that amount? An actual CR court or her "lawyer"? It seems awfully high, especially since the average salary in CR less than that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:15 am 

Orange wrote:
475/mo on 7-12 grand income? Who determined that amount? An actual CR court or her "lawyer"? It seems awfully high, especially since the average salary in CR less than that.

Yes I agree totally, it is high, I could fight it but then I would get another audit which is time consuming and expensive. I don't want the stress and not be able to see her. But if this gets too high I'm going to have to fight it. Enough never seems to be enough with them. I already have had two audits in the last 8 years, but I came away clean correct and legitimate. My car , insurance, two suits, and other clothes travel tickets, many meals further than 50 miles expensed and many other expenses needed to run the business are legitimate expenses. Solo business owners entrepreneurs understand what I'm conveying here.

It was not this high before so I never fought it, but now she has a live in boyfriend who puts the heat on and makes things unfriendly, before everything was easygoing and friendly. Now that she has a live in partner it's not.

But now I'm to the point I just might fight it because the demands and lack of appreciation are ridiculous. It's like K*ds give them the finger and they want the whole hand. That's why i was looking for feedback, do I fight it and take the stress or just pay it. And once you pay at a higher rate does that set precedent? ITs getting to the point I should dig in my heels and fight it. I was looking for feedback and opinions on this which I greatly appreciate. Getting into legal fights is stressful and never pretty and its a kangaroo court down there. Courts in usa I would win and get it reduced. But if I want to see SE my daughter in cr then I most go through that cr system. And that is possibly kangaroo time. Depending....
Thoughts?
I appreciate the feedback, I'm really on the fence on this one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:25 am 

I spoke to my wife (Tica) about your case. She said that there's a law that gives the non-custodial parent the right to see their Ch*ld whether or not they pay Ch*ld support. You are paying, but even deadbeats who don't pay shit have that right.

I would fight this. It seems like you are overpaying by a lot, so some greedy puta and her lazy Tico leech can live well off your sweat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:48 pm 

Hunter,

I'm paying a family $300 per month to watch my prize Rotweiller and Shar Pei. This is because they had to build a lion cage of a yard to hold these giant puppies in place. They invested C500K in fencing and a bunch of other nonsense. After month three I'm dropping by $100 per month, until we reach about $150 per month. Then, we are going to drop that price down further, until I figure out how to get my dogs to the US.

Not comparing dogs and people but this is the process that Ticos are used too. I got screwed at $300 per month.

You need to find a good attorney who can work that monthly payment down to something realistic. They are taking advantage of you. They are also taking advantage of me.