www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:15 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Tippin wrote:
@ bashful....no matter how you slice it that was still pretty impressive .....hell it would take me a full day just to schedule that many back to back sessions.....let alone excute on them because I strive to give as good as I get ...no wonder youre having troble getting back into a normal routine.....youre body is still in overdrive....!!! :mrgreen:

no worries, I just booked a small trip before my next trip. Gotta keep the equipment primed and running. Don't wanna get rusty an' all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:49 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Watch the Univision channel and the news or telenovelas. No, I'm not kidding. If you don't have the advantage of living in FLA or somewhere else you can put yourself into a Spanish speaking atmosphere, Univision may help.

The closer I get to my trip, the more I will watch. It seems to help when I get down there so it isn't such an abrupt change to my ears. It's better practice for me than listening to tapes. You may also look into Spanish clubs for those looking to learn or practice the language.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:22 pm 

Fieldtech wrote:
Watch the Univision channel and the news or telenovelas. No, I'm not kidding. If you don't have the advantage of living in FLA or somewhere else you can put yourself into a Spanish speaking atmosphere, Univision may help.

The closer I get to my trip, the more I will watch. It seems to help when I get down there so it isn't such an abrupt change to my ears. It's better practice for me than listening to tapes. You may also look into Spanish clubs for those looking to learn or practice the language.

stuff for K*ds is best. Most adult Spanish channels hattle on way too fast, and drams use so much colloquialism that it is useless for me to try to follow.

I downloaded a bunch of Spanish cartoons and such.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:07 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Guys, check out Studyspanish.com or learnspanish.com, free website and great stuff in it. Retired Spanish profesor Pete aka Aquaman55

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:21 am 
One lesson that has been difficult for me is that the letter "V" never has the same sound in spoken Spanish as it does in English. Its always a soft B sound (the best way I can describe it). One friend of mine is named Ruben. I have been calling him Ruben with a hard b for years. Then one day his wife calls him "Ruven" It blew me away that I screwed it up like that for so long. I think most Anglos have a hard time with this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:27 am 

Estebanh wrote:
One lesson that has been difficult for me is that the letter "V" never has the same sound in spoken Spanish as it does in English. Its always a soft B sound (the best way I can describe it). One friend of mine is named Ruben. I have been calling him Ruben with a hard b for years. Then one day his wife calls him "Ruven" It blew me away that I screwed it up like that for so long. I think most Anglos have a hard time with this.

what's harder than that is the "Y" and the "LL" sounds ... half the people pronounce it as "yo" and the other as "jyo" (the emphasis on a very soft J sound). A few have solidly pronounced it "Joe estoy ...".

Or, "lluvia" ... in my books is pronounced "yoo-via", yet on the streets of CR it is "jew-via". Something else to listen for.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:04 am 
BashfulDwarf wrote:
Estebanh wrote:

what's harder than that is the "Y" and the "LL" sounds ... half the people pronounce it as "yo" and the other as "jyo" (the emphasis on a very soft J sound). A few have solidly pronounced it "Joe estoy ...".

Or, "lluvia" ... in my books is pronounced "yoo-via", yet on the streets of CR it is "jew-via". Something else to listen for.

Right. Medellin is Med a jeen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:20 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Here are a few Spanish phrases for you :

Tu Eres una puta grande ,quiero come su culo. This means you are pretty may I have this dance
Tu Eres una hija de puta . You are my soulmate
Quiero enviarte diniero para drogos y ropas. You eyes are the window to your soul
Cuantos Cuesta para un pene plastico en mi culo? How much does it's cost to love you for an hour .

This should help you a lot :lol: if that fails use hand signals. JG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:52 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

JerseyGringo wrote:

Tu Eres una puta grande ,quiero come su culo. This means you are pretty may I have this dance
Quiero enviarte diniero para drogos y ropas. You eyes are the window to your soul
Cuantos Cuesta para un pene plastico en mi culo? How much does it's cost to love you for an hour .

True words of love and romance! If anyone is brave enough to use these, let us know how your dream date works out!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:23 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

JerseyGringo wrote:

with friends like JG. who needs...well, ya know!!! looks like them spanish lessons really paid off for ya :lol: :lol:

kr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:30 pm 

JerseyGringo wrote:

Tu Eres una puta grande ,quiero comer su culo. This means you are pretty may I have this dance
Quiero enviarte dinero para drogas y ropas. You eyes are the window to your soul
Cuanto Cuesta para un pene plastico en mi culo? How much does it's cost to love you for an hour .

It would be funny without the mistakes. :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:46 pm 

Some insights into pronouncing V and B in Spanish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9t3C0VSoq0

Maybe we should invite Anna to come to SJ once or twice a year for a week to teach the CRT brothers.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:46 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Thanks, Orange, I was about to send in the corrections also. What's funny is the a%%hole trying to be funny gets LAUGHED AT himself! ¡ja ja ja ja!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:04 pm 
Isra123 wrote:

Maybe we should invite Anna to come to SJ once or twice a year for a week to teach the CRT brothers.

I like Ana. I have seen many of her videos. She's got nice tits :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:52 pm 

Isra123 wrote:

I speak a little Spanish and I don't really bother with this b and v stuff. I just pronounce the b as b and v as v. For example, vaca (cow) is vaca, not baca. I have never not been understood, or questioned, or gotten funny looks.

It's great that you want to speak like locals and all but there are much more important things to worry about when learning, like getting the correct gender on the adjectives or the correct person conjugation on the verbs.

My ears bleed when I hear shit like:
"Tu quiero trago?" or worse "Tu querer trago?"
"chica negro" or "camisa rojo"