www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:33 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Is anybody aware of what recourse a woman in Costa Rica would have if a US citizen married the woman in Costa Rica while he remains married in the US. It happened to a working girl I know and it is easily verified with public internet sources. Can she sanction the guy in CR or the US? Not saying she would, just want to know what is possible.

And just in case you are reading this and your initials are JAW with unusual spellings of first and middle names and you are married to someone with initials LLW and you currently live in Arizona, you are a pig and a psycopath. Your genes should be eliminated from the gene pool. I would gladly oblige.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:32 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

First: I don't live in AZ, I'm not married and I don't live in AZ.

Second: Maybe you don't know all the facts. If you believe everything you see on the Internet... there is beachfront property in AZ I want to sell you. He could be separated from his wife or some other valid reason he is no longer "officially" married.

Third: if your "friend" who was/is a working girl truly loved him she would tell him what she knows. Then if he is not legally separated or divorced she needs to have their marriage invalidated. If she just wants the money from him then she is probably in a good spot.

Closing: Wanting to kill a guy because he married a friend of yours while already being married is a bit extreme. Plus is a member of CRT who uses working girls really the best person to make a moral judgment? Personally I would not be married to two women as being married to one would be bad enough once the honeymoon is over.

To JAW... as Captain Kirk said "Double Dumbass to You"... getting married too 2 women... you sir are in for a world of pain and suffering.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:22 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

What recourse? Yes, she can divorce him.

Or is it that by "recourse", you mean $$$$$$? If she loved him, she would be asking why he married her if he's already married and trying to figure out if he really loves her and wants to be with her, instead of looking for a way to cash in on it. Typical puta.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:09 am 

The tica can't divorce him because there is NO second marriage that is valid under U.S. law. The second "marriage" is defective and NOT valid because there is still a first marriage that has not been terminated in any lawful way.

Of course, muslum law allows plural marriage....... so Location, Location, Location is important.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:27 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

You forget AZ is fairly close to UT... can you say sister wife?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:27 am 

this is where I miss ID's posting. He'd research it and give us a realistic legal interp from both sides.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:41 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I know a friend of a friend who got caught in this situation, about 8 years ago. I say it that way intentionally, because it's only fair. I personally trust the guy who gave me the info, but it's true that it's second-hand info, I fully admit. So, take with as many grains of salt as you will...

Tica is wife #2. She finds out the guy was already married to a Gringa in the USA. He married Tica trying to gain quick access to residency and citizenship in Costa Rica. Tica finds out and goes to a lawyer in Costa Rica and explains the entire situation. Lawyer is pretty much telling her, "That argument and $2 will get you a cup of coffee. But... if you want to press the issue, then... OK, I guess."

Short version... The US and Costa Rica do have quite a few reciprocal agreements. Tracking down bigamists is apparently not very high up on the list. Lawyer gets in touch with Tica about 2 weeks later and says, "You're going to need to provide some proof." Tica says, "How do I do that?" Lawyer says, "That's a good question. If you pay me $300, up front, I'll try to get some proof for you."

Well -- News Flash -- most girls in Central America whose primary occupation is trying to snag a rich gringo husband, don't have $300 just laying around.

I fired off an email to a lawyer buddy in the US before I started writing this response, and I just received his reply. Tica has no case whatsoever in the USA. As a previous poster said, the first marriage is always valid. The rest are not legal, and were never legal at any point, under US law. The dude could possibly be guilty of bigamy, if he married someone else in the USA. But marriage #2 is only on paper in Costa Rica -- a foreign country. The USA is not interested. IF marriage #2 had occurred in the USA, the guy would be guilty of bigamy (technically, a form of fraud under USA law).

It does appear that if Tica can ever corral the guy when he is physically present in Costa Rica, she could either circumvent the US marriage completely and claim her full rights as first wife -- OR -- if she get that proof that she is the second wife, have him prosecuted for bigamy (fraud) under whatever Costa Rican law(s) apply.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:34 pm 

Rac wrote:
The tica can't divorce him because there is NO second marriage that is valid under U.S. law. The second "marriage" is defective and NOT valid because there is still a first marriage that has not been terminated in any lawful way.

I meant divorce him in CR where the marriage is legal. But it sounds like she's looking to cash in, not looking for "love". :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:04 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Not saying I condone this but is it worse than the working girls who have "boyfriends"? These guys use the girls as money machines while they sit at home. At least this guy probably give her money and probably does love her. He may be stuck in a loveless marriage in the US.

I do agree it is not the best for her and he needs to be honest with her and his wife but that is not my business.

I guess I have seen too many strippers and working girls here in TX with boyfriends who are leeches or quasi pimps to feel bad for one who is mad that the guy she married is married in the US. It sucks but you would think before you marry someone you would know them well enough to figure out if they are married or not... just saying :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:04 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Ignacehilsberg wrote:
Is anybody aware of what recourse a woman in Costa Rica would have if a US citizen married the woman in Costa Rica while he remains married in the US. It happened to a working girl I know and it is easily verified with public internet sources. Can she sanction the guy in CR or the US? Not saying she would, just want to know what is possible.

And just in case you are reading this and your initials are JAW with unusual spellings of first and middle names and you are married to someone with initials LLW and you currently live in Arizona, you are a pig and a psycopath. Your genes should be eliminated from the gene pool. I would gladly oblige.

If he is married in US (first), the costa rica marriage is invalid and she is not due alimony. Ch*ld support would apply under any circumstance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:08 pm 

Just a couple of thought on this!!

It seems to me that the OP has a hell of a lot of interest in this if he is as he implies, just a 3rd party!!! What's the rest of the story :?: :idea: :roll: As Mkink said, in CR she has no recourse, the marriage here is void as if it never occurred, and only if they have K*ds can she get anything out of him!!

Secondly, It amazes me how different the laws are in different countries. Here it seems almost all you need is to show up at an attorney's office with the chica and a couple of witness and you can get married. When I married in Colombia, I had to go to the Colombian consulate in Atlanta; present myself for an interview and present copies of birth certificate, previous marriage license(s), copies of all divorces, and a financial statement along with copies of current tax returns. Hell I had to even have pictures of us together dating back at least 6 months and had to show where I had spent time in Colombia (with her) during that 6 months prior to the application. Then if and when they were satisfied that I was truly single, financially able to support her, and that we had an on-going true relationship, they gave me a marriage visa good for (only) 90 days and only in Colombia! At the wedding we had to have 3 witness who would verify that we had an ongoing relationship. Also because Spanish was not my native language, I had to pay an interpreter to be present at the wedding in case I did not understand something that was said ( he never opened his mouth)! Remember this was Colombia, not the USA requiring all this!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:18 pm 

BB57...just curious, besides the financial statements and other documents, they didn't require a criminal background check?

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:53 pm 

Gringotim wrote:
BB57...just curious, besides the financial statements and other documents, they didn't require a criminal background check?

OH, hell yes!!!! Not sure how I could have forgotten that. and this was back before the FBI started doing the criminal background checks. In Alabama (I lived in northern Alabama at the time) the city police said they had never heard of such a thing but sent me to the County records clerk who said they did not do that either and sent me to another office, and then another, and another! Finally I went to the sheriff who was a friend of mine and he said that if I would write out what I needed it to say, he would sign it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took it in and he signed it without ever checking anything to see if I had a record or not (I didn't)!! Did someone say Alabama was just a little behind the times!!!! This was 2001 when this happened, not 50 years ago!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:19 am 

Mkink wrote:
If he is married in US (first), the costa rica marriage is invalid and she is not due alimony. Ch*ld support would apply under any circumstance.

when you say "not due", do you mean in the US where the second marriage would not be recognized, or in CR where only the 'second' marriage would be recognized? Let's face it, if dragged into CR court over divorce and alimony, the guy's hardly likely to admit he is married somewhere else.

So, as a foreigner in CR, you can marry a citizen with nothing more than your passport? That's nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:40 am 

Some of you say that the second marriage is void. How so? Unless CR authorities are shown proof of the first marriage, they don't know about it so the CR marriage is legal in CR. In the US, the CR marriage is not legal.