www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:10 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

My novia and I have been together for over a year now and she is pushing marriage. If I cave and marry her and only rent a casa and leave all money in US banks how screwed am i?
Any help guys? I do love her but are Costa Rican marriages binding in US?
If I could marry her there and all funds stay in US and just rent- would i be ok?
Please advise my brothers!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:26 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Ben-
ask yourself, how will this marriage benefit me? if you can't come up with more good reasons than bad ones, then it's not in your best interests. to make a analogy to housing in CR, are you better renting than buying? probably that way for chicas also.

buena suerte
kr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:29 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Do Not Cave In

Latino's see this as a weekness

If you love her, do what you want on your terms, not hers

As far as the money goes, some of it will belong to her :shock:

Hide all your money and get a pre-nup, a good lawyer will help, if you can find one!!

Latinos also change when everything is done deal... now she is trying to protect her intrest in you... make papi happy

Say I DO and she owns you, forget about banging her hot friends :shock:

Rent do not buy, one year is not enough time

Do you live in CR?

If not rent a place for 3 months and give it a test drive before ... all in

I know your heart stings are pulling you in .and you want to do the right thing

Good luck

Remember the odds are good, but the goods are odd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:07 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Goods or odd!! lol Nice!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:16 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I plan upon treated the marriage as serious as in the USA but due to reading so many stories I just want my ass covered! I plan to love her, educate her and live a long life together!
Seems as if you only rent and keep the funds in US, you would be covered. Is the marrige binding in the US- that is the million dollar question!
We have lived together for 6 months or shared an apt for 6 months. I visit every three to 4 weeks.
Some of you have much needed knowledge- please help me!
Thanks Bennett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:14 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

My guess is her family members are telling her she has get a piece of you (literally). If she really cares for you she can wait until you are sure. I totally agree, 1 year (6 months) on/off living together is nowhere near enough to make this kind of commitment.
I believe that your thinking that being married in Costa Rica means you are not legally responsible is a falicy.
I agree with Hank, she may change when once you tie the knot. I think you should also be careful that she will pull some kinda scam (i.e. get pregnant, claim abuse etc) if she feels you are backing out.
Tread lightly here my friend. There is no free lunch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:21 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

thanks slinky!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:59 pm 

Go for it. Why not if you are in love?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:10 pm 

If you do not live here, or do not plan on living here while you are married(even in the beginning) you are diving off a cliff that you have no idea how far down it is. I tell my friends who come down often this all the time. If you are not full time with your girl, WHY WOULD YOU COMMIT TO SOMETHING????? I get you are in love and I respect that a lot. BUT, how can you really trust someone that lives so far from you all the time? And why would you want this binding agreement if you are not ready for it yet? Now once you are down here full time and you decide to do it, then at least you are hands on and you know what it is like to actually be with this person full time. I have said it before and I will say it again. ANY WOMAN CAN ACT NORMAL FOR 3 MONTHS. So if you are only here a week a month, it could be easy for her to act right. So try being with her full time, then make your decision. Just my two cents of course......Good luck with this....

the DR

<-----OG'n it for the haters....... :roll: 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:16 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

TOP REASONS TO NOT DO IT

you said 'if you cave', if you have to call it 'cave' in... nuf said

after marriage she probably can record the marriage through the US embassy without your help
and / or begin making requests for a visa to the US without your help

a pre-nup is not enforcible if there is not full financial disclosure of all assets and income
so you cant hide money AND have a valid pre-nup

in all i have read about prenups, you cannot write one that might leave one party dependent on government assistence, even if that was their situation at time of marriage, as her situation probably is now as measured in US terms

she likely has cheap cheap health seguros now in costa rica, if she gets sick it wont ruin you finacially, but if you are married and she gets sick, or has an accident , then what ?
does she have K*ds? they increase the above risk.

if she wins this and you cave , she will likely begin to pressure you on step 2, something like now we need to buy a house. what are you gonna do then? you think you can just say no? every time she brings it up? or, lets have K*ds now? again you going to just keep saying no?

you can love someone without having to get married, you can do all you mentioned without getting married. unless you want to take her to the states. but if she goes to the states its inevitible that she will get to know other latinos there, who will start to fill her head with ideas, if it isnt already.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:21 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

TOP REASONS TO DO IT

uh, uh, umm, well, uh

yeah, thats what i thought

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:54 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

If you have to ask these questions.....you shouldn't do it....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:03 am 

Quote:
I plan upon treated the marriage as serious as in the USA but due to reading so many stories I just want my ass covered!

If you even have to say that, then I doubt you are really serious. Don't feel obligated to marry her... you should want to marry her. I would give the relationship more time. If you still feel you need to ask these questions after more time, then you probably should part and go your separate ways. Also, the long distance relationships have slim odds of being successful. So, if you are really serious about marrying this tica, make plans to live together.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:56 am 

Do a search on this board and read the thread by Rolltide.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:02 am 

1. Doesn't it make you wonder why she is pushing for marriage? So quickly? People fall in love at the same pace in CR as in the US. The rush on her part should be a big RED warning sign!

2. Yes, the marriage is binding in the US. If you divorce, she will get half your stuff. You won't be able to leave the country until you give her half of all your assets.

3. Her Ch*ldren (if any) automatically become your Ch*ldren. If you divorce, she will get Ch*ld support from you for K*ds that aren't even yours.

4. She can have you thrown out of your own house (this is why renting is better, at least you know this already) and even arrested if she files a complaint. Again, you're not leaving CR until it's settled (meaning you pay her off to withdraw it or wait 2-3 for the courts to settle it).

Basically, there is a lot of insecurity among Ticos when it comes to Gringos. Families encourage their daughters to get a commitment because they have seen their other family members/neighbors/friends get involved with gringos, possibly knocked up, and then the gringo bolts. And the girl's life is ruined (she probably would've done the same with a Tico-but at least it would be by choice :lol: ) If you say "too soon", do you think she will leave you? Doubtful. If that's what she's telling you, call her bluff.