www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:52 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I met a girl in Colombia when I was paragliding there. We hit it off. We are a match. We are going to get married and live in the States. I want to get her here as soon as possible with the least amount of headache.

Anyone have any experience on the Visa process with the governments that can shed some light on what is the best way to proceed?
I know about the K-1 Fiance Visa application and that process, but was wondering if I could speed things up by marrying her there and then applying for a K-3 Visa for her afterward.

Anyone know, or been through this process that can help direct me?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:22 pm 

its wrong idea.
fiancee visa take 6 months to process and wife visa 1 year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:34 pm 

USwam wrote:
its wrong idea.
fiancee visa take 6 months to process and wife visa 1 year.

Thanks...Have you been through the process?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:18 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Try this site:

http://www.visajourney.com/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:06 am 

K1 is just as quick, if not quicker than the K3.

The K3 saves some Adjustment of Status paperwork after she arrives.

However, doing neither is an even better idea.

sure, Geico can save you 15% or more on insurance, but driving without insurance can save you 100%

the visaajourney website is a must read for anyone considering financial suicide and wishing to do so in an efficient manner.

if you are going the K3 route and wish to make the biggest mistake of your life in Colombia proper, then remember that the Colombian laws and rules are conviniently stacked against you in that you will need every document you have ever acquired in your obviously miserable life copied, notorized, gold stamps (apostiliates) shiny things attached, tattooed and shoved up your ass in tripicate (all within the last 30 seconds or 30 feet, whichever comes first) to satisfy the Colombian bueracracy in your quest for the closest thing to self inflicted immortal punishment you could ever dream up.

The Colombian Island of San Andres does offer the option to avoid the copied, notorized, shiny gold stamps things, tattooed and shoved up your ass in triplicate thing in that only a drivers license is needed by the foreign national.

a 'Sucker Born Every Minute' picture ID will suffice in place of a drivers license.

but tell me, I am curious, during all of your Hang Gliding escipades....say when you were 1000+ feet in the air....did you ever think what it would be like to just let go...?....to see if you could fly and shit like that....?.....just curious.

please, keep us informed of your endeavours.

thanking you.

(export version only, some restrictions may apply, some assembly required, not valid where the sun don't shine...

if you live in the states of Poverty, Darkness or anywhere outside of The Blessings of Civilization Trust, Inc...other rules may apply)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:53 pm 

Buddy brought back one from DR-- he tried to do the paper work him self and then he started the two step run around with our Gov. Hard to get a straight answer, or the same answer two times in a row. pay for calls to be on hold, make apt. for calls and get a call center on commission :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: , not the Gov employee.
(Lets not talk about the problems he had in DR, that is way to long for here )

Now she is here, with K*D, and still getting run around on the next step in shots then SS card because of not getting shots or was it not standing on her right foot when filling out line 342zz of form G-9987.123 (V) 2( 2) B

I was getting for 3 -4 months daily long emails on the shit going on and time tables, then plane tickets and at the last minute something not signed so add anther few days , found that out as he sat in his seat on the plane with her

So my suggestion is that you might save money doing it your self, but is aggravation some thing you enjoy, maybe you want to hire some who specializes in immigration, and them for every thing form lining up her stuff in CO to the final green card here.

In the mean time I try and get you a link to a board dedicated to K-1--- but warning buddy told me there unlike here, some people run the board and have no time for those they dislike. but buddy told me great place for info if you look

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:33 pm 

Fiancee Visa (k1) is usually quicker. You'd have to marry in the US. Spousal visa (k3), you'd have to marry in Colo then you send out the paperwork in the US.

If you want her to arrive in the US and be issued a greencard immediately upon arrival (without having to go through adjustment of status), apply for a IR-1 or CR-1 visa. I know what you're thinking... she'll leave me as soon as she gets here. Just like with a k1 or k3, the IR-1/CR-1 will be a conditional (2-year) greencard, so she'll stay with you for 2 years (and slowly bleed you dry) and then she'll leave you once you get her a 10-year GC. :lol:

Read VJ, it helped me through my process with my fiancee, now wife of almost 3 years. What was the over/under on mine? I had money on the over.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:20 pm 

Xman00 wrote:
Buddy brought back one from DR-- he tried to do the paper work him self and then he started the two step run around with our Gov. Hard to get a straight answer, or the same answer two times in a row. pay for calls to be on hold, make apt. for calls and get a call center on commission :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: , not the Gov employee.
(Lets not talk about the problems he had in DR, that is way to long for here )

Xman00,
With all due respect, your friend must be a goddamn moron. Just kidding. Seriously, the process is actually pretty straightforward, but you need to be organized and detail-oriented. Some people just can't handle it. I know of 3 guys and myself who went through the process from start to finish without paying anybody. All I used were the guides on the VisaJouney forum. It's the equivalent of the monger map on this forum. :lol:

It's all about carefully reading the instructions, filling out the right forms, sending in the correct proof, and payment.

DO NOT HIRE A LAWYER, THEY MANAGE TO Phuck UP HALF THE CASES THEY TOUCH. AND THE LAWYER IS NOT THE ONE WHO WORKS ON YOUR FORMS, IT'S A PARALEGAL OR SECRETARY.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:58 pm 

Good Luck, I married a woman from Peru and brought her here on the K-1 yes six months if you both work hard. I sent her home after 8 months. I started P4P again it is a lot easier!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:25 pm 

http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:10 am 

yes, I stand corrected on the K3...the CR-1/IR-1 is for saving time on the Adjustment of Status....anyway, you do not need a lawyer.

also, if you go to the visajourney,com website, you will get better and more detailed info there.

here, you will get some good info and lot of grief (deservedly so)

on the visajourney website, you will get excellent advice and a lot of 'ahhh, how sweet' and shit.......it is proctored by some dumb canadian cunt that brooks now rude comments like 'just how phucking stupid are you?' and shit.

once again, good luck and please keep us informed on your tortuous journey...maybe you'll get lucky like our beloved Brother Orange (don't call him Juice! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

thanking you

(export version only, some restrictions may apply, some assembly required, not valid where the sun don't shine...

if you live in the states of Poverty, Darkness or anywhere outside of The Blessings of Civilization Trust, Inc...other rules may apply)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:05 am 

The K-1 process is straight-forward. You don't need a lawyer if you are good at following directions and paying attention to detail. The hard part for any of these visa processes is collecting all the correct (and authenticated) copies of documents. If you retain a lawyer, you will be doing most of the document collecting anyways. The lawyer does the easy part... filling in the forms and writing cover letters. The adjustment of status (for the green card) does take longer (6 months) than the CR1/IR1 processes. I know CR1/IR1 visa holders who have received their green card in less than 2 months after arriving.

Visajourney is a handy guide, but I would validate whatever is in there with the USCIS website. Fees, forms and time-lines have a nasty habit of changing without much notice.

As an aside...Getting my Colombian green card was even easier. It only involved a quick trip to the consulate in Manhattan, fill out the documents and pay $160. I left my passport at the consulate, and three days later I had my temporary resident visa. Upon arriving in Medellin, I had to report to DAS within 30 days and obtain my resident cedula. In two years my temporary status becomes permanent automatically, and there is no need for additional paperwork, other than obtaining my new permanent cedular.

Pura Vida...enjoying life to the fullest...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:50 am 

hey Blue, marraige to a colombiana entitles a north american to automatic temp then permanent residency?

after arriving in colombia and reporting to DAS, how long before the cedula was issued?

was it mailed to your colombian address or could you just pick it up at the DAS office.

thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm 

Californicationdude wrote:
K1 is just as quick, if not quicker than the K3.

The K3 saves some Adjustment of Status paperwork after she arrives.

However, doing neither is an even better idea.

sure, Geico can save you 15% or more on insurance, but driving without insurance can save you 100%

the visaajourney website is a must read for anyone considering financial suicide and wishing to do so in an efficient manner.

if you are going the K3 route and wish to make the biggest mistake of your life in Colombia proper, then remember that the Colombian laws and rules are conviniently stacked against you in that you will need every document you have ever acquired in your obviously miserable life copied, notorized, gold stamps (apostiliates) shiny things attached, tattooed and shoved up your ass in tripicate (all within the last 30 seconds or 30 feet, whichever comes first) to satisfy the Colombian bueracracy in your quest for the closest thing to self inflicted immortal punishment you could ever dream up.

The Colombian Island of San Andres does offer the option to avoid the copied, notorized, shiny gold stamps things, tattooed and shoved up your ass in triplicate thing in that only a drivers license is needed by the foreign national.

a 'Sucker Born Every Minute' picture ID will suffice in place of a drivers license.

but tell me, I am curious, during all of your Hang Gliding escipades....say when you were 1000+ feet in the air....did you ever think what it would be like to just let go...?....to see if you could fly and shit like that....?.....just curious.

please, keep us informed of your endeavours.

thanking you.

Too funny!....You got me laughing pretty hard.......I know what I am doing on this one. I have plenty of battle scars from dating American princesses...I wouldn't give them the sweat off my balls....I came close to adding some rat poison to the corn flakes of my last American novia.....Never again. My condolences to anyone who has an American girlfriend or wife.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:51 pm 

Californicationdude wrote:
hey Blue, marraige to a colombiana entitles a north american to automatic temp then permanent residency?

after arriving in colombia and reporting to DAS, how long before the cedula was issued?

was it mailed to your colombian address or could you just pick it up at the DAS office.

thanks.

Yes, marriage to a Colombian qualifies you for a "Temporal Conyuge o Companero Nacional Colombiano TC/IT" visa. If in the US, you will need to go to the nearest Colombian consulate, get the marriage certificate registered, hand over your passport and $160. Three days later, you must pick up your passport with the stamp in person. To get this visa in Colombia, you must go to DAS in Bogota.

I entered Colombia with my visa, and had to 30 days to report to DAS (in Medellin). You have to pre-pay your cedula (COP$139,500) at a designated Banco de Bogota, bring the receipt along with two blue matte photos and evidence of your blood type. You will also need to bring your current-stamped passport, and certified copy of your registered marriage license. The DAS officer spends about half an hour with you taking info and biometrics. A cedula de extranjera temporal is issued and ready for pick-up at the DAS office (MDE) in 30 business days. Either you, or a person you designate in writing, are authorized to pick it up. The cedula is valid for two years. When you renew, you will be issued a cedula de extranera permanente which is valid for 5 year intervals thereafter. You automatically become a permanent resident when you re-new.

Pura Vida...enjoying life to the fullest...