www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting a Divorce in CR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:53 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Here is my situation. Married a Tica in CR about 6 years ago, divorce is now final here in Florida. It was an amicable divorce. I have the Clerk of Courts Certified copy in hand. Question is where to go from here to make it final in CR? Thanks, DRD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:33 pm 

Del Rey? :?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:46 pm 

I already know about that part Paco. :D That'll be taken care of over Labor Day Weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:57 pm 

Did you obtain an Apostille from the FLA secretary of State? Do you have property in Costa Rica which has to be divided or an issue of Ch*ld custody and Ch*ld support? Other than the fact that she is Tica, does anything involve Costa Rica and the registration of the marriage (divorce) at the Registro Nacional?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:49 am 

No support, custody or property issues. The marriage is recorded at The Registro Nacional and I do not have an Apostille from the Fla Secretary of State yet. I thought of calling the CR consulate in Miami to check on that. But please continue DiegoC. Thanks, DRD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:52 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

PacoLoco wrote:
Del Rey? :?

Paco your killing me :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:10 am 

Alright guys, I have as good a sense of humor as anyone here but enough is enough. Save the wisecracks for a more appropriate thread as I am trying to get some help on something serious here. Thanks for your understanding, DRD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:57 am 

This is the process that I have used in the past for submission of legal papers. This is not legal advice but a suggestion from friend to friend. There may be other ways to complete this process. Of course it is Costa Rica, so all you have to do is wait a month and this too will change.

STEP #1 Have the legal documents authenticated by the State of Florida. That is done through the Secretary of State and it is called and Apostille.

STEP #2 Since documents have been authenticated in the US, they can be translated into Spanish and certified as true and correct. That has to be done by a translator in Costa Rica who is certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I can give you the email address a guy who has been very prompt.

STEP #3 With both documents – the original English version and the Apostille, the translated Spanish version with the translators seal and timbres - you submit them to the Costa Rican Consulate. They authenticate them and they are ready for submission to the Registro Civil.

STEP #4 Submit the documents to the Registro Civil in Zapote. You can hire a lawyer to do it for you or if you have time, patience and a good sense of humor, you can enjoy a brand new experience in inefficiency and frustration by doing it yourself.

The whole thing is predicated on no extenuating circumstance including but not limited to property held jointly in Costa Rica, minor Ch*ldren, Ch*ld support, custody issues, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:00 pm 

Thanks DiegoC, If you could PM me the email address of the translator I would appreciate it. Thanks again, DRD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:21 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I have been doing divorces in Arizona for the better part of the past 18 years. I currently manage a family law practice in Phoenix, though I am not an attorney. We do divorce cases for Mexicans nationals and other foreigners all the time. We have done several divorces for Philippinos as well, which is relevant because you can not obtain a divorce in the Philippines. However, under international law, a lawfully obtained divorce order obtained in any country is valid in all other countries. General rule of thumb, "married is married everywhere," "divorced is divorced everywhere." Nonetheless, in some cases, where there is real property, it might require a subsequent court order obtained in another country where the real property is located to transfer title or otherwise divide assets. It depends on the country. BUT, if you obtained a divorce in a Florida court, you are both divorced, everywhere. While you can "register" your divorce in CR, do you really need to?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:23 pm 

Ch*ld custody cases fall under the jurisdiction of the Hague Convention (1980) to which both CR and US are signatories.

He is right. The divorce is a divorce. Of course you are not getting divorced in CR you are only complying with Costa Rica law and custom by registering the divorce just as you registered the marriage. If you haddn't registered the marriage there would be no need to register the divorce.

I will find the email and PM.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:26 pm 

Thanks El Rey and DiegoC. I got your PM did you receive my reply?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:37 pm 

There are no property , custody or any other issues. I just want it done there also so it's out of my mind. But I think the info you guys gave me will serve others well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:23 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

DiegoC,

I am in the same process, divorced but need to translate and file in CR. I would really apreciate that translators contact PM, also brother. I had the property in a S.A. formed prior to marriage, the Ch*ld support is a Social Security check, about 4 times what a normal Ch*ld support payment would be in CR. Got it all under control except a decent affordable translator. I hope, but thier is always that one paper, they did not ask for last time :shock:

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:53 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

It is very interesting and useful topic for discussion. Every one who are experts in this topic can share their thoughts regarding this topic. According to me i think that Divorce lawyer in Costa Rica can help you understand how to apply for a divorce in the country. Costa Rica is a beautiful paradise located in Central America. Divorce lawyer, Costa Rica, can help you through the divorce process.