It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Here's a new one..
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:24 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

... At least for me..
I moved to Costa Rica about 6 months ago, at the time I had a novia,
One night she came to my house to stay for the night,
she brought her 15 year old niece with her.
My novia stayed with me in my bedroom, the niece slept in the extra bedroom.
The novia is long gone and is living in Jaco, her brother calls me and says he has a big problem, the mother of the niece has called the police because the niece stayed the night at my house.
But if I help him with his bills he wont pass my name and phone number along..
I know we most likely do not have an ablogato among us but it seems a little fishy to me..

Is there a law against a 15 year old spending the night at my house with her aunt??

Comments??

Post subject: Re: Here's a new one..
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:27 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

This smells like extortion.....

Cujo

"Pain is the fuel that fans the flames of my pyre. A battle plan is only as good as the general carrying it out on the field. This is my war son, and I have the biggest bombs and the smallest conscience"...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:29 pm 

Sounds like a shake down to me. No law against niece staying at your house. But if your ex-novia and the niece fabricate a "different" story about what went down that night, and actually pursue it with the policia, you could be in hot water, simply their word against yours. But still, it sounds like an attempt to extort money, IMHO. Buena Suerte.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:40 pm 

Obviously extortion, but a trumped up charge could get you in hot water.

I would start by moving and make sure that you are careful wiht what assets you have in CR
\

\BKTUNA/Boyd
\I am never going home

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:46 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Mucho Gusto wrote:
Sounds like a shake down to me. No law against niece staying at your house. But if your ex-novia and the niece fabricate a "different" story about what went down that night, and actually pursue it with the policia, you could be in hot water, simply their word against yours. But still, it sounds like an attempt to extort money, IMHO. Buena Suerte.

This all happened about 6 months ago, the mother called the police and said I was doing the niece, my then novia went to the police and told the police the truth,
I have heard Nothing about this for 6 months..
Now, when I tell the brother I don't have any work (money) for him he calls back with this story.

I am inclined to call his bluff but would like some feedback first.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:52 pm 

Joe Merchant wrote:
I am inclined to call his bluff but would like some feedback first.

My dos colones... tread lightly. Like BKTuna said... if they try to get you on trumped up charges, the policia will ALWAYS take the side of the Tica over the gringo. ESPECIALLY when it involves someone of questionable age. Cuidate....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:01 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I would go into “protect myself mode” Go buy a cheap phone recorder and start making calls to all involved and get them to admit the truth or perjure themselves in the conversation. If your having the conversations in person get another person there with you. Get any witnesses, you can muster up and get the story locked up. If she filed a report with the police, go find it. Or at least find the officer she spoke with.
Seems to me that your next few steps are critical.
Her word against yours, equals, you lose. Just in the shear aggravation of it all.
Consider carefully before you give the guy any dough. If he asks for it once there is no telling what his next request will be, or the girls? If you do give either of them any money get something from them in writing in return for it.
Just my 2 colones
Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:11 pm 

Goingsouthsoon wrote:
Consider carefully before you give the guy any dough. If he asks for it once there is no telling what his next request will be, or the girls? If you do give either of them any money get something from them in writing in return for it.

If you give either of them ANY money, then it's almost like an admission of guilt. Just dot your i's, and cross your t's and lay low. The sad part is - if they really want to, they could make your life miserable, simply by fabricating a story. Tough situation amigo. Hopefully it'll pass. :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:18 pm 

Lay Low
Have plans to scram at the hint of trouble

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:32 pm 

RUN, do not walk to your attorneys office. Do nothing until you get legal advice. The advice posted here, while well meaning, is not necessarily correct. Not only are any of the posters not attorneys familiar with CR law most do not have the slightest bit of experience dealing with the CR legal system.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:42 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Know any Colombianos?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:22 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Don Rico wrote:
Know any Colombianos?

No, I don't
But the problem is solved.
Thanks for the feedback!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:32 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Glad to hear problem solved

But any others out there. Take Irish Drifters advice. It is easy for us to shoot from the hip knowing only half the story and none of the rules and laws of CR.

I can tell you from personal experience that I have had two encounters that at least approach what you might or might not be going thru. The 1st was in the San Jose airport and the second was in the Cartagena airport. After the second I learned a very valuable lesson.

In San Jose I had been seeing my favorita for a few days. We settled my account in the normal fashion. And with a peck on the check I headed to the airport. She went home to mom. An hour or so later I was waiting for my flight when my phone rang. It was her and some man who identified himself as a police officer and asked if I would exit the airport. Being very surprised I asked if this was some kind of joke. To witch he promptly responded “No and I can either exit on my own or with their help”. After cleaning up the mess in my pants, I asked what this was all about I was told that I owe money and I can not leave the country until the account is paid. WTF I said and then it hit me how easy it would be for this to be true. They could pull me from the flight and then what? God only knows? How do you explain why you are not back at the office on Monday? These stories have away of getting out. I was in the biggest panic of my life.

As this story turned out my little friend made a stop before going home and spent most of the dough. Mom was not happy and directed her to make up this story to replace the missing money. It took me hiding in corners of the airport and talking with my little friend to convince her that this was not the right way to solve her problem and that she would never respect herself in the future by doing this and it would ruin a long standing relationship. We had known each other for 4 or 5 years before this. I saw her two weeks ago and she apologized again for this issue and thank me for not caving in. She has been clean now for 3 years and in a weak moment made a bad mistake.

The second story takes place in Cartagena and is roughly the same. I had a TLN with a girl. She and I had a disagreement about the arrangements. I paid what I thought we agreed to, she was not happy but said OK. Three days later upon entering the airport running late for my flight, with my buddy, there she was. With one look I knew this was not going to go well. She was standing at the entrance with a large uniformed dude. Maybe he wasn’t so big but the rifle in his hand was freaking huge! Needles to say me and my buddy who knew nothing about what was going on were taken into a room with about 5 other smiling boys with big toys, where it was strongly suggested we pay an extra exit tax empting both of our pockets we said “Thank You” and left the country.

Lesson #1 Even friends can surprise you if the situation is bad enough.

Lesson #2 Never, Never, Never tell any of them what time you are leaving. Don’t tell them the day. Don’t say the name of the flight. Don’t say this is my last night. Don’t give any more info then is actually needed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:21 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Irish Drifter wrote:
RUN, do not walk to your attorneys office. Do nothing until you get legal advice. The advice posted here, while well meaning, is not necessarily correct. Not only are any of the posters not attorneys familiar with CR law most do not have the slightest bit of experience dealing with the CR legal system.

No offense to ANYONE on this board...

Best post I have ever read on CRT!

This is simply not the place to ask advise about something that can land you in a CR jail, and FK you up forever.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:39 am 

February wrote:
This is simply not the place to ask advise about something that can land you in a CR jail, and FK you up forever.
Well if he eventually got the best advice which was to seek professional advice then why is this not the place to ask for advice? :?