www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:52 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I'm sure I'm going to catch a bunch of heat for this post but I had to ask.

First of all I've been to CR 15+ times and I understand the P4P game is strictly business. I've become friendly with quit a few of the girls who have taken me out partying in locals clubs, taken me home to their families and vacationed with me in other parts of the country for free. All of these girls have been great but I consider them strictly friends and I fully understand the game.

I would like to find a non-working girl down there and was wondering if anyone had any tips.

I'm 41, in good shape and descent looking. I speak a little Spanish and continue to practice. I know I need to get out of the Gulch but that is not the safest thing if you don't know where you are going and you are by yourself. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm going back to CR in a couple of weeks. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:30 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

My only tip would be to continue to learn spanish. For me, if I had enough working girl/amigas, that would be enough. Perhaps you could get involved in some way at a university, taking a course or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:50 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: Stuck in Louisiana"dreaming bout Paisitas, Calenas & Costenas"
I have only 2 words of advice;

Medellin, Colombia

Rainman3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:43 pm 

USMC6056 according to Rainman3 and many others better candidates are in MDE but if you insist on looking in CR maybe Chi-trekker will chime in, he has posted good info in the past (from experience) on this topic.
See you at happy hr. the 29th 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:44 pm 

USMC6056,

Rainman3 beat me to it!

I know this is CRT, but I would like to suggest to anyone looking for a serious novia with the possibilites of a long-lasting realationship to do themselves a favor and book a flight to Medellin, Colombia, you will NOT be disappointed.

After one trip to Medellin, it is very likely that you will not be returning to Costa Rica anytime soon.

You quest begins here....

www.colombiansweethearts.com

http://www.latinamericancupid.com/

USMC6056 wrote:
I'm 41, in good shape and descent looking. I speak a little Spanish and continue to practice. I know I need to get out of the Gulch but that is not the safest thing if you don't know where you are going and you are by yourself. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm going back to CR in a couple of weeks. Thanks

You're next destination..... Medellin, Colombia!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:41 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Are you looking to move down south or bring the potential novia up north? If you want to bring her up north, and you live in or near a moderately sized city, you can instead chose to hit on all of the available Latinas already here. Simplest way (for me) has been to take some Salsa classes and hit the Latin Dance clubs, or regular clubs on Salsa night.

The biggest benefit to this method is THEY ARE ALREADY HERE! This creates all sorts of pluses:
1) Her fantasy of "El Norte" has already been shattered by the reality of the U.S. She has a more realistic approach to life here (e.g. no surprises that you don't live in a mansion and it gets cold in the winter).
2) You can actually have a regular relationship, not some long distance, western union relationship.
3) Less likely to hook up with you just to get to the U.S., because SHE IS ALREADY HERE! Although she may be trying to hook up with you to STAY in the U.S.

In my experience this method is very fun and very productive if the novia/esposa in the U.S. is what you are looking for. You are not going to get that level of hungry "I love you/I'll do anything to come to the US" desperation that you see in some girls in SJO. Then again, the fact that they no longer have the power that they previously had in Latin America with chicas can intimidate some guys.

Other than that, having a bunch of Latino friends can DEFINATELY increase your dating circle. :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:23 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and not flaming me.

I am definitely going to try the Colombia thing. I had kinda planned on it later this year but after listening to you guys it might be sooner than later.

I'm not looking for some 18 yo super model or anything out of my league. I just think the Latin women know how to treat their men and I have never been married and wanted to try it at least once. American women have never done much for me and the attitudes they have I don't want anything to do with so I would like to try South of the border.

Until I set up this trip I guess I'm going to have to go mongering down in CR in a couple of weeks. Damn the luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:06 am 

Location: Downtown San Jose, Costa Rica, the BELLY of the BEAST
USMC... I have said this countless times, but I will repeat it. If you do not plan to LIVE in whatever location you are considering, you are asking for a hell of a bum trip. It's plenty hard to make things work even when you live on-site, so to speak. If you do not plan to live in the in the same country as the girl you're seeking, you stand about the same chance of success as you would of winning millions of dollars in the lottery. It IS possible, but you're not just investing a buck on a ticket, you're investing your LIFE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:43 am 

Well said, Bilko......makes a lot of sense.

Post subject: A Non Working Girl
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:39 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

USMC :

Try Latinwomenonlime.com for non " working" girls. They have events al over Latin America plus photos of women you can write.

I tried it both ways.

First - A real classy Costa Rican woman picked me up at the airport in a nice convertible and we had lunch at the Gran Hotel Costa Rica. We didn;t follow thru though she wasn't interested.. oh well.

Second - A Tica/Gringo dinner event in San Jose. It cost $350 but was, I felt , worth it. There were six tables of women ranging in age from early 20s to early 50s. The guys would rotate from table meeting chicas who were very pretty and friendly. Translators were there to help out if needed but I speak Spanish. I caught Theresa's smiling glance from acroos the room . She was unoccupied so I introduced myself and we hit it off.

It did not seem that any of these women were prostitutes but you can never be sure.

It turned out Theresa is a hairdresser and lives in a village near the Poas Volcano. Actually she's poor, I ran into this before before in Latin America, poor women who make their own dresses and being a hairdresser she knew howw to fix herself up , giving an upper middleclass appearance.

Trying to get a visa for a poor woman is tough as I'm starting to find out.
Following the advice on these chats I told her to keep me out of it since having a novio here could be reason to stay. But on her own it didn't work either. On my instruction she said she just wanted to tour, go shopping . They wanted to know the hotel she would be staying at, the cost and wanted to see a 3 month history of her bank account. She was unprepared for those questions and doesn;t have the money on her own, not even a bank account. Plus there is also the question of medical care if something happens. VISA DENIED. Her friend suggests I write a letter as a sponsoring family. That would answer all the questions.

On Columbia - I was there, got ripped off , witnessed multiple incidences of violence, didn't like it.didn;t like it. The place for women there, I heard, is Cali.

maybe I will try some of the Latin dance places in the Mission in San Francisco. I met an El Salvadorean woman there once. 18 years in the US and still couldn't speak English !!!

Anyway good luck and keep us posted.

WCH

Post subject: Re: A Non Working Girl
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:13 am 

WayneH3412 wrote:
USMC :

Try Latinwomenonlime.com for non " working" girls. They have events al over Latin America plus photos of women you can write.

I tried it both ways.

First - A real classy Costa Rican woman picked me up at the airport in a nice convertible and we had lunch at the Gran Hotel Costa Rica. We didn;t follow thru though she wasn't interested.. oh well.

Second - A Tica/Gringo dinner event in San Jose. It cost $350 but was, I felt , worth it. There were six tables of women ranging in age from early 20s to early 50s. The guys would rotate from table meeting chicas who were very pretty and friendly. Translators were there to help out if needed but I speak Spanish. I caught Theresa's smiling glance from acroos the room . She was unoccupied so I introduced myself and we hit it off.

It did not seem that any of these women were prostitutes but you can never be sure.

It turned out Theresa is a hairdresser and lives in a village near the Poas Volcano. Actually she's poor, I ran into this before before in Latin America, poor women who make their own dresses and being a hairdresser she knew howw to fix herself up , giving an upper middleclass appearance.

Trying to get a visa for a poor woman is tough as I'm starting to find out.
Following the advice on these chats I told her to keep me out of it since having a novio here could be reason to stay. But on her own it didn't work either. On my instruction she said she just wanted to tour, go shopping . They wanted to know the hotel she would be staying at, the cost and wanted to see a 3 month history of her bank account. She was unprepared for those questions and doesn;t have the money on her own, not even a bank account. Plus there is also the question of medical care if something happens. VISA DENIED. Her friend suggests I write a letter as a sponsoring family. That would answer all the questions.

On Columbia - I was there, got ripped off , witnessed multiple incidences of violence, didn't like it.didn;t like it. The place for women there, I heard, is Cali.

maybe I will try some of the Latin dance places in the Mission in San Francisco. I met an El Salvadorean woman there once. 18 years in the US and still couldn't speak English !!!

Anyway good luck and keep us posted.

WCH

Wayne,

I cannot let your comments pass by without a reply. I have witnessed more violence and dangerous situations in both CR and Mexico than I have ever witnessed in COL. Where in COL were you at ??????
How were you ripped off?????? You say that you speak good Spanish, this should have made it even harder for you to get "ripped off".

Bilko, Zebra..... I truly believe that you can find more good girls in MDE than bad as long as you know where and what to look for ! You are not going to meet them at the Medellin Mansion or Fas Dos or in La Mayorista (Losiento Frank Casio). You will not find them in El Poblado either. Get into El Centro and meet some of the regular Paisas.

What to look for or signs of a sweet Paisita;

A good girl lives at home with her family regardless of whether she is 18 or 35.

Most really good girls do not have Ch*ldren here if they have never been married ! This is much different than CR! I have never seen so many beautiful women over 30 that have never been married and have no Ch*ldren.

A good woman works ! And I do not mean Brothel work.

Do not try to find a woman that is 20-30 years younger than you are ! Not if you are looking for love and a real relationship. Most all of the really "good" girls want a husband, NOT A FATHER ! Be realistic and keep the age gap within 10-12 years. Anything more than this and you are probably just fooling yourself. Sorry for pissing some off with this comment, but for the most part it is the truth.

Most Paisas are very hardworking and industrious. Meet the family and get to know them and you will gain a inner view into how your girl works and what makes her tick. I have brought my parents down to Medellin twice to meet my girl and her family. They absolutely love the place and they are crazy about her. This is the first woman I have ever been involved with that my mother truly was crazy about ! Go figure !

I and my parents are currently looking to puchase a place as a vacation home in the Envigado/Sabaneta area.

COLOMBIA IS GREAT !

Rainman3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:14 pm 

Location: Downtown San Jose, Costa Rica, the BELLY of the BEAST
Rainman,

My point had nothing to do with Medellin and whether or not there were nice girls there. My point is that no matter where you look, you have to BE THERE FULL TIME. I don't care if it's Medellin or Muncie, Indiana, you don't have a prayer spending a few days or even weeks meeting somebody then trying to make it work long distance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:56 pm 

Bilko wrote:
Rainman,

My point had nothing to do with Medellin and whether or not there were nice girls there. My point is that no matter where you look, you have to BE THERE FULL TIME. I don't care if it's Medellin or Muncie, Indiana, you don't have a prayer spending a few days or even weeks meeting somebody then trying to make it work long distance.

Entiendo ahora mi amigo.

Obviously one has to be prepared both time wise and financially to making multiple trips down there to be able to spend the time necessary to get to know their Paisa novia. It takes a considerable investment in both your time and money to be able to do this. I was very lucky in the fact that events occurred that allowed me to have plenty of both. This last year I have been traveling down to MDE for 1-2 weeks every 7 or 8 weeks. Then there was the expense of putting a computer and webcam in her home to allow us to stay in touch between my visits. The computer there was more of a long term investment because it will allow her to stay in touch with her familia once she is here. She is currently in Bogota where she finished her medical stuff on Friday with one of the embasy endorsed physicians. Everything else has been completed and all she has left to do is to get the medical exams turned in on the 27th. If all goes well she arrives here in 11 days. She had a good scare yesterday afternoon when Bogota was shook by the tremors of another earthquake !

Any relationship is going to require much time and effort but you are absolutely correct that this is doubly so when you throw in all of the language, cultural and travel that has to be overcome.

Rainman3

Post subject: Columbia
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:23 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Rainman - Even when I lived in Honduras Columbia had a notorous rep for being a place of ladrones and violencia. I was a Peace Corps Volunteer there. One of the guys married a Columbian girl and his wedding suit was ripped off from his room the night of the wedding.

In Columbia I was in Cali:

- I heard from an amiga of taxi scams where they would just drive you around the neighborhood a few times to up the cost. One person jumped out after he saw the same sign after 15 minutes of driving.

- Anti gringo sentiment. Younng Colunbians would give you the finger from passing cars etc... something that never happened to me in Costa Rica.

- A man slapping around a woman hotel clerk late at night.

- Women in hair pulling fights in the market..

-I myself was younger then and slept on the beach in San Andres keeping my camera in my boot Next morning it was gone.

For a historical perspective on Columbia read Gabrial Marquez. Non stop violence going on for decades and this is even before the drug cartels.

Post subject: Re: Columbia
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:49 pm 

WayneH3412 wrote:
Rainman - Even when I lived in Honduras Columbia had a notorous rep for being a place of ladrones and violencia. I was a Peace Corps Volunteer there. One of the guys married a Columbian girl and his wedding suit was ripped off from his room the night of the wedding.

In Columbia I was in Cali:

- I heard from an amiga of taxi scams where they would just drive you around the neighborhood a few times to up the cost. One person jumped out after he saw the same sign after 15 minutes of driving.

- Anti gringo sentiment. Younng Colunbians would give you the finger from passing cars etc... something that never happened to me in Costa Rica.

- A man slapping around a woman hotel clerk late at night.

- Women in hair pulling fights in the market..

-I myself was younger then and slept on the beach in San Andres keeping my camera in my boot Next morning it was gone.

For a historical perspective on Columbia read Gabrial Marquez. Non stop violence going on for decades and this is even before the drug cartels.

Wayne,

Im sorry you had difficulties during your time in Colombia. Most seasoned Colombian travelers will tell you that Cali and Buenaventura can be muy peligroso.

Areas that have not had the strong economic growth of MDE can lead to more desperate people and therefore more crime. I would encourage you to go into the trip reports section and read some current trip reports of your CRT brothers. Do a search of trip reports by Traylor Park, good reads. MDE is no longer the city of Pablo Escobar and any traveler with a little Spanish and some common sense can travel there safely. Uribe has done very much to curtail the FARC and paramilitaries. The Mayor of Medellin has done much to curtail crime there. The average Paisa is proud and hardworking and justifiably proud of the tremendous progress his city has made in such a short span of time. DO A LITTLE RESEARCH/READING AND YOU WILL BE VERY SURPRISED, TRAVEL TO MDE AND YOU WILL BE UTTERLY AMAZED ! When was it when you were last in COL ? 1990 ?????

Rainman3