www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the machista attitude
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:16 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I was reading something on relationships in Latin America and how men are meant to be masculine.

I have often heard of the stereotype of machista males in Latin America and Costa Rica, but surely this is just something that happens in the lower class not the upper middle or upper classes.

Post subject: mach?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:21 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

you reading wrong books

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:12 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Kalel21 wrote:
I was reading something on relationships in Latin America and how men are meant to be masculine.

I have often heard of the stereotype of machista males in Latin America and Costa Rica, but surely this is just something that happens in the lower class not the upper middle or upper classes.

Sorry to be blunt but that sounds like a statement that only a real snob would make.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:55 am 
ID, what do you have against snobs? 8) Some of my best friends are snobs.

Certainly there is a a correlation between level/quality of education (class to a certain extent) and what would be labeled as "progressive" attitudes toward women? Of course you have to be careful with overly broad generalizations.

I would say that there is a correlation with both Education (class) and Age with progressive attitudes towards women.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 am 

I think weak men will use anything to keep a women down :evil:

NYG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:13 pm 

Location: Downtown San Jose, Costa Rica, the BELLY of the BEAST
if you watch the telenovelas, the rich certainly mistreat their women amply, and the women are evil, lying, scheming bitches about half the time, and saints the other half. Reality may vary (ya think?) but still, the view presented by these shows must echo reality enough to be the 2nd most popular entertainment on CR TV, after cartoons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:02 pm 

I am an Hispanic male and have friends that are poster boys for the macho image.ONTH i have friends that are exactly the opposite.It's hard to generalize here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:19 pm 

DrForm wrote:
I am an Hispanic male and have friends that are poster boys for the macho image.ONTH i have friends that are exactly the opposite.It's hard to generalize here.

Kalel21 wrote:
surely this is just something that happens in the lower class not the upper middle or upper classes.

You hit it DrForm. Thats what makes Kalel21 comments those of a snob.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:13 pm 

Bilko wrote:
if you watch the telenovelas, the rich certainly mistreat their women amply, and the women are evil, lying, scheming bitches about half the time, and saints the other half. Reality may vary (ya think?) but still, the view presented by these shows must echo reality enough to be the 2nd most popular entertainment on CR TV, after cartoons.
:lol: and the dumber the cartoon , the more the chica wants to watch it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:50 pm 

Its funny... a lot of members of this forum claim to be experts on the culture in CR, based upon their experience as tourists. However, their only exposure to culture in CR is in the gulch. I think this leads to a very bad perception of ticos.

The ticos that hang around in the gulch are mostly scum, with the exception of some of the employees, and the few that gather for drinks on Friday night or to watch soccer games, fights and such. Some members even form their opinions based on their experience with pirate taxi drivers, with whom they claim to be friends. These guys are sometimes scammers, drug dealers, wife beaters... in other words filth. Not all are... and not all have all 3, but they tend to be nothing but sheisters.

I'm making a generalization, but the point I'm trying to make is that Ticos are people, just like and me. They are not all macho, lazy, wife beaters and drunks. The ticos, with whom I associate, are not any different than my friends in the US. They have jobs and are responsible family members. They have educations, a sense of pride in what they do. They are laid back, but NOT LAZY by any means. They are honest and do not steal. And last, but not least, they LOOK DOWN on the average gringo tourist who hangs around the gulch. I went out with a few to the Key Largo Bar on a friday night. They were laughing and making fun of all the stupid drunk gringos, with horrible dancing schools, and tacky clothing, blowing all their money on expensive prostitutes. It was amusing to them. They didn't actually say this in direct words, but I got the point. They were also alluding to the fact that none of the guys in the bar could ever get laid by a truly hot tica with class.

Yes, the culture here is much more old school than the US and does favor a macho attitude, but it is changing dramatically. I guess my final point is that gringos in CR tend to have a huge degree of arrogance regarding the tico culture. They just assume that WE are always better than THEM. What I've learned in my nearly 2 years of living here, is that PEOPLE are PEOPLE everywhere. There is good and bad everywhere. I regard my tico friends as equivalent in culture, class, education and essentially everything. This is because I didn't make my friends in the gulch.

Okay... I'm done bitching...