www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:31 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

From a Costa Rican slang perspective, what is another way to ask "como esta?".

I know the basics: que hace and que tal. What do the locals say to one another, and what is the proper context: (ie. male-male, male-female, young-old, etc).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:02 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Que pasa - what's up

Cool chicas say that to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:40 am 

Just add "Mae" to the beginning or end of any phrase and you've pretty much got it.

In 5 years of living there with the locals, "Que tal mae?" was the most common form I noticed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:59 am 

¿Hola como te va?
Hello how's it going?

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No "Sex tourism or travel" promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided any compensation for this hopefully entertaining contribution. Any posts regarding any event or hotel item are just my humble opinions only.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:06 am 

Pura vida, mae? = how are you?
Tuanis o agüevado? = alternative to denote mood (doing well or bummed out?)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:27 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

True Sportsman wrote:
¿Hola como te va?
Hello how's it going?

Not trying to be the language expert here because I'm not, but I have found 'Hola, Como le va?" to be a bit more formal & polite, especially to someone you don'y know or when asking for info.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:45 pm 

Although far from fluency. I have used all of the above and. "Que Mas" (What's up).

Obviously much more casual ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:12 pm 

"Qué mas?" is paisa talk...not tico.

"qué mas, todo bien o no?" is also common in Antioquia.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:39 pm 

costareeker wrote:
True Sportsman wrote:
¿Hola como te va?
Hello how's it going?

Not trying to be the language expert here because I'm not, but I have found 'Hola, Como le va?" to be a bit more formal & polite, especially to someone you don'y know or when asking for info.

Agreed.. :)

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No "Sex tourism or travel" promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided any compensation for this hopefully entertaining contribution. Any posts regarding any event or hotel item are just my humble opinions only.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:25 am 

I use: hola, q tal guapa?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:36 am 

"Hola" has always worked for me. I'm a gringo, I don't pretend to be a local. It's one thing to be a gringo who lives in CR, but a guy on vacation sounds funny using words like rojo (Tico slang for ¢1,000 note), chepe (San Jose centro), brete (work/job), tuanis (cool/good). Pura Vida may be the only one where a gringo can get away with it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:24 am 

Not what I say but how I say it. The calm smile. The eye contact, the pause and then "Buenas Dias" slowly. All very calm, relaxed and 100% confident.

or Buenas tardes or Buenas noches.

And then pause and 90% per cent of the time she will respond with a slow comfortable, almost flirty , "Buenas Dias, " and will often add her own "how you doin" to it.

That is the main reason I live here. The woman are feminine enjoy contact with men.

* RENT but, "Don't Buy a Home in Costa Rica" until you have lived here for THREE years.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:08 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

[quote=
Quote:
"Icantstayaway"]Not what I say but how I say it. The calm smile. The eye contact, the pause and then "Buenas Dias" slowly. All very calm, relaxed and 100% confident.

or Buenas tardes or Buenas noches.

And then pause and 90% per cent of the time she will respond with a slow comfortable, almost flirty , "Buenas Dias, " and will often add her own "how you doin" to it.

That is the main reason I live here. The woman are feminine enjoy contact with men.
[/quote

A few days in this paradise turns the most beaten down, timid American males into confident, self appreciating men. It only takes the courage to try something adventurous once in your life. However you say "como estas" the effect of a friendly response from a beautiful woman that you would be hesitant to speak to in the states for fear of her taking offense is amazing for your ego. It is not just the working girls, the whole society tends to be much friendlier once you try to communicate with them.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:12 pm 

Orange wrote:
"Hola" has always worked for me. I'm a gringo, I don't pretend to be a local. It's one thing to be a gringo who lives in CR, but a guy on vacation sounds funny using words like rojo (Tico slang for ¢1,000 note), chepe (San Jose centro), brete (work/job), tuanis (cool/good). Pura Vida may be the only one where a gringo can get away with it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use 'rojo' and 'azul' exclusively when referring to the bills, and have never even gotten a strange look. I refer to downtown as 'chepe' when in a cab, or the valley in general when outside of it, and no one has ever looked twice. I use those words in proper context and it doesn't occur to them that it isn't the proper spanish terms to use.

I hear 'rojo' and 'azul' in the marketplace often. Though (since it is obvious I am a gringo) no one has ever used 'chepe' in conversation to me, I hear many cabbies on the phone using it. I finally asked one about it's specific usage, and (since traffic was heavy) I got a complete lesson in it's usage and (from his perspective) it's origin.

As for your other words, I don't know them ... so my ignorance saves me there.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:29 pm 

Pops wrote:
A few days in this paradise turns the most beaten down, timid American males into confident, self appreciating men. It only takes the courage to try something adventurous once in your life.

Right on! Through a series of life events and choices I looked down one day to discover my testicles went missing!

I was stunned to find they rolled all the way to Centro America... and I'm glad to have them back!

I do try to use the local vernacular. It's a fun challenge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution.

Last edited by hotdogg on Sat May 07, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.