www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:03 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
My picks but please chime in: (1) James Taylor--If you haven't been as close to the edge, maybe you can't appreciate...and he's been over the edge; (2) James Hunter--aggregates every pre-soul style and makes it his own; (3) Delbert McClinton--Texas soul/R&B at its finest...and grown into a hell of a songwriter too; (4) Darryl Hall--hear him sing Me and Mrs. Jones on the Hall & Oates DVD and then let's talk; (5) Van Morrison--need I say anything?

Female division--The list begins with Carole King and ends with Phoebe Snow--something about Jewish women singer/songwriters...they exude soul.

BONUS--Carole King/James Taylor Live at the Troubadour a CD/DVD package--it's all familiar and so right--Talk about the "Music of Our Generation"--Oh my! Extra bonus --is it just me or does their drummer Russ Kunkle have a marked resemblance to Brother Pops?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:55 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Bonnie Bramlett, former Ikette and Stax backup singer, put out some of the best straight 60's R&B as the singer for Delaney and Bonnie. Listen to her composition "Groupie" (better known via The Carpenters as "Superstar") for a lesson in how just a little dip here and inflection there distinguishes great pop singing from great soul singing. Also check out "Things Get Better", ''That's What My Man Is For", and her version of Aretha's "When The Battle Is Over".

Also, Dusty Springfield on "Dusty In Memphis".

Not to be included on the list: Janis Joplin, who might belong on the list of best blue-eyed soul thieves (almost all her stuff was a complete lifting of other singers' performances).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:41 pm 

100% agree with Brother El Tranquilo on both...and shame on me for not listing especially Dusty Springfield, stone cold bitch that she was.
Tracey Nelson, Angela Strehli and Marcia Ball also deserve strong mention.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:07 pm 

Sinatra of course.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:14 pm 

Haywood Jablommi wrote:
Sinatra of course.

I love a good joke, yes I do. Frank Sinatra (who famously never owned a pair of blue jeans) is sui generis and an Ameican music icon...but a soul singer?...not so much...unless you expand the definition so far as to be meaningless.
Let me add a duo--The Righteous Brothers, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:05 pm 

I did not notice the " soul" part before I posted. I thought it just said blue eyed singer. Sinatra was not a soul singer but a crooner. James Taylor to me is more in the folk category but I am not very familiar with his stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:17 pm 

Oh, at first I thought this post was pretty gay but.........nah, its def pretty gay. :shock: :P

Cujo

"Pain is the fuel that fans the flames of my pyre. A battle plan is only as good as the general carrying it out on the field. This is my war son, and I have the biggest bombs and the smallest conscience"...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:05 am 

Brother Cujo'S--You are big enough to squash me like a bug. BUT anybody who thinks a topic on singers who bring deep real emotion up from their toenails and deeply believe in what they are singing, has even intimations of homosexuality is deserving of not scorn but abject pity. Now tell Brother BKTuna you think the blues is poofy--I'll sell tix to THAT cage match. And strongly bet on the outcome.
PS--And the truly sad thing is, no, you weren't joking. If I were you, I'd stick to topics I knew something about--it's obviously not this. The adults are now invited back into the room.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:05 pm 

Awe Jazzy.....I was kidding, but not particularly in tune with my softer side at the momment. I'm honestly funnin' with ya. :wink:

I got a 'lil soul.... 8) (also a bit jealous I don't have blue eyes :cry: )

Cujo

"Pain is the fuel that fans the flames of my pyre. A battle plan is only as good as the general carrying it out on the field. This is my war son, and I have the biggest bombs and the smallest conscience"...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:28 pm 

I have to have Van Morrison at the top of my list

BKTUNA/Boyd
I am never going home

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:32 pm 

Brother Cujo'S--In a moment of weakness or rage, I said some things a bit over the top. I hereby throttle those comments back about 75%. I just didn't pick up on the "funnin'" part, but please even in fun don't attack that part that runs to my core, the fiber of my being, and that's pop music especially Music of Black Origin (MOBO). Anything is discussable...or ignorable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:58 pm 

Mick Hucknall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN4fh_3eBvQ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:27 pm 

Express321 wrote:
Mick Hucknall

Oh yes--absolutely and thanks for the reminder! His version of "If You Don't Know Me By Now" at least equals the original. No fake soul with this guy.
And of course one of my favorite movies is "The Commitments" dontcha know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:54 pm 

I like this one as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HazsQfku ... re=related

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:04 am 

And I`ll add Michael McDonald, blue eyed soul for sure and a living legend. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1n99Q- ... re=related

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next