www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:33 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I love hot spicy Korean food, specifically Korean Bar B Que. There used to be an excellent one in Paseo Colon I visited regularly 10 years ago when I lived her for 2 years in Sabana, and when I retired here last January, I dreamt of visiting it, it was excellent. No soup for me, I went to the place and they changed it into a stylish Sushi joint. :x :evil: :cry:

Surprisingly, the owner recognized me when I came in, it's been 10 years but I visited 2 to 3 times a month for almost 2 years, 2007-2009. He explained there's not too many Korean food lovers and he had to change, he doesn't carry the ingredients he used to order from Korea (his restaurant was the real deal) would I care for sushi? :x

I'm no sushi lover, I'll occasionally tolerate some sashimi but I like my pu*sy hot and my food cooked. I asked him if I gave him the money, would he order the ingrediants and call me when they got there? He laughed and said those days are over but there's a place called Hibachi in Sabana, high dollar, about $20 to $30 a meal.

I was prepared to go but kept putting it off....I HATE to spend $20 to $30 and up for one meal that doesn't include a thick steak, Alaskan King Crab legs or Maine lobster... :evil:

One day I'm walking south on Calle 11 from HDR, head East from HDR's side door, the Blue Marlin, and turn right by AM-PM and the big Music shop...it's the road to Relax..

WHAT THE???? I spot a dumpy little no name hole in the wall on the East side before you get to Ave 2. It has some other Asian food but clearly states "Corean"...To say I'm stunned is an understatement, Korean is usually high end and pricey and the restaurants are fancy. :shock: :o

I walk over and it smells great, the cook cooks the food right in front with an open air window, there's no wall or door to the place, just walk in. It's a bit old n dumpy but meticulously clean and like so many Asian restaurants, there's employees clipping the ends of green beans and sitting at a table in the back. My type of ambience.... :D

The bar b que beef is not cheap, with coke and tip n tax it adds up to about $14, but it was pretty good and plenty of beef and vegetables, you get your colones worth. I'm from South Florida and it doesn't quite match the places there, especially Miami, but it's close, it's fast, and if you never had Korean but like spicy Asian food, check it out! :wink: :)

I'll be returning and that's a compliment from me, I'm picky.

Next report, I hear further down 11th is a place called Don Wang 1 block north of Relax and Idem which has allegedly good dim sum. Will check this week and issue my findings... :arrow:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:40 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Netgems; If you like authentic korean food, there is a restaurant called New Seoul across the street
(north side I think) from Plaza Mayor. It has been there for years.
*note* Not cheap.
Saludos
tuanis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:54 pm 

Tuanis wrote:
Netgems; If you like authentic korean food, there is a restaurant called New Seoul across the street
(north side I think) from Plaza Mayor. It has been there for years.
*note* Not cheap.
Saludos
tuanis

Yes, thanks, someone on a non monger forum I'm in recommended that place. It's in Rohrmoser, I have no need to go there. I live just north of downtown in Barrio Amon and this little place for now will suffice for my fix.

I have reason to go to Sabana from time to time, so one day I'll splurge and check out "Hibachi" they have great reviews.

Since I fly home to S Florida 2 to 3x a year, visiting the one in Miami, world famous, and one in Ft. Lauderdale which also is excellent will be on my list. One of my buddies who lives there is also a fanatic, I could call him from the Ft. Lauderdale place and tell him "drop what you're doing, I'm over here" and he'd show in about 20 minutes...

Anyone know good Thai or Indian here? There's a Chinese place downtown, forgot the name, has Thai and Indian, another high dollar place, but I'll eventually get over there and write a report.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:15 pm 
You are thinking of Tin Jo across from Idem. Highly over rated and expensive.
The Korean place you mentioned close to the rey has been there for over a yr. I will give it a try.
The best dim sum is across ave Segundo from the entrance to China town. Its upstairs. Filled with Chinese folks.
The best food choices are on that street in barrio Escalante

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:32 pm 

Zman wrote:
You are thinking of Tin Jo across from Idem. Highly over rated and expensive.
The Korean place you mentioned close to the rey has been there for over a yr. I will give it a try.
The best dim sum is across ave Segundo from the entrance to China town. Its upstairs. Filled with Chinese folks.
The best food choices are on that street in barrio Escalante

I think you'll like the Korean, the first item on their menu is their version of Korean beef bar b que. I shun the fancy places and love the hole in the wall places like this, good food, not outrageously expensive, good portions, relaxed atmosphere, fast in n out, sit in the front and watch all the people walk by, you're about 6 feet from the sidewalk. 8)

Yes, Tin Jo looks like they'll nail you for at minimum $20 for a 1/2 way decent middle of the road meal, probably closer to $25 after drink and tip. Want fish? Looks like you could get cornholed for $30 tax, tag and proctologist check up.... :mrgreen:

I see this other place by Tin Jo, Dong Wang, they have interesting dim sum and some Thai, Japanese, etc., but don't advertise prices, I'll get some dim sum and check the rest out...

http://www.donwangrestaurant.com/menu-p ... 07-09.html

Thanks for the info. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:49 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Don Wang is ok for chinese and southeast asian food. Go to Casa China for dim sum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:18 pm 

Attila wrote:
Don Wang is ok for chinese and southeast asian food. Go to Casa China for dim sum.

Nahhhh... My choice there would be #161 Roasted Goose, $59,000 colones...

Never had 'roasted goose', lets see, if you're game, now it's $30,000 colones each, if we bring 1 adventurous guy each, now it's 15,000 each, let's say we go for 6 guys total, now it's 10,000 colones each, not bad for something exotic and geese are pretty big so it should be a full meal each... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:07 am 
Went to the Corean place the other day down the street and one block east of the Rey.
Had the beef with vegetables, order number 1.
Owner said that dish was sweet with no heat. 5500c bout 9$.
Beef very tender with big pile of veggies with big pile of white rice. No table sauces of any kind.
He also brought three small plates of kimchee stuff or sonething.
It was good enough but wished there was more of a variety of veggies, maybe some broccoli, it was mainly onions and carrots with some green beans thrown in.
Will get the spicy chicken dish next time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:47 am 

Zman wrote:
Went to the Corean place the other day down the street and one block east of the Rey.
Had the beef with vegetables, order number 1.
Owner said that dish was sweet with no heat. 5500c bout 9$.
Beef very tender with big pile of veggies with big pile of white rice. No table sauces of any kind.
He also brought three small plates of kimchee stuff or sonething.
It was good enough but wished there was more of a variety of veggies, maybe some broccoli, it was mainly onions and carrots with some green beans thrown in.
Will get the spicy chicken dish next time.

I'm a big lover of Asian food and I like the place and I consider it good but not great, but definitely a bargain. Go to the Korean places in Sabana and Escazu and walk out with the same dish, perhaps a bit bigger, tastier, but you're walking out of there minus $30, plus the cost of getting there.

I lived in S Florida and there's several excellent ones where they actually make it at your table for you and there's one in Miami world famous, always packed, where you sit on the floor on pillows, they bring you hot towels, you dine on tables 18'' high, you get the true experience and none I've ever tasted anywhere comes even close. I used to know the managers there and I could ask for dishes blistering hot and they were amazed I could handle it and loved it but I paid the price the next morning, lol.

That being said, it's a great little bargain just a short walk from HDR (Exit back door, walk east (turning left) to calle 11, it's the first calle, turn right (south) by the music shop and AM-PM, walk down calle 11 on the left side (east side), right b4 you get to get to Ave central, it's a little hole in the wall, clean but not fancy, all tables are inside but it's open air so you can people watch while you eat and enjoy the breeze.

If anyone likes Asian food and hasn't tried Korean, it's a good choice to try something different. If you're like me and like it radiating, the owner keeps a bottle of Thai chili sauce there, just ask for it!

Excellent review, by the way...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:37 pm 

Restaurant reviews http://www.ticotimes.net/post-dining-nightlife

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison