www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:36 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

LAdiablo wrote:
Miamiheller wrote:
LAdiablo wrote:
awful food? not ime

Been there twice and both times got what can only been described as gristle.

mh

wow. do you remember what you ordered? not like they would survive in SF or NY and its not flemings or ruth's chris but for SJ i would give them a solid 8 for taste, prep and quality.

I wish I did. I know it was not just what I ordered because both times my novia's meal was just as bad.

Last visit was in Nov 2012 FWIW. Maybe they've improved since then.

mh

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:03 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I had nothing but the best experience at la esquina de Buenos Aires. The wait staff were eager to know me, they introduced themselves, served my meal, made sure it was good, offered to reheat my steak half-way through the meal, filled my wine cups continuously... They even walked in front of me to open the door for me and greet me on my way out.

Can't see how one can fault the service there.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:38 am 

I have eaten there probably around 20-30 times, and I ALWAYS get the same exact steak (tenderloin with mushroom sauce... Lomito Porcini). I recall only having 2 bad steaks, and they happened to be two visits back to back within a couple months of ecah other maybe 4-5 years ago. I don't know if it was a bad batch of meat or something or the season. The meat was rubbery, like CR beef, so maybe they used local beef for a while.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:03 pm 

Orange wrote:
I have eaten there probably around 20-30 times, and I ALWAYS get the same exact steak (tenderloin with mushroom sauce... Lomito Porcini). I recall only having 2 bad steaks, and they happened to be two visits back to back within a couple months of ecah other maybe 4-5 years ago. I don't know if it was a bad batch of meat or something or the season. The meat was rubbery, like CR beef, so maybe they used local beef for a while.

My father Papa Bill and me ate at La Esquina de Buenos Aires this past Monday night 5/19. We both ordered the Lomito with bearnaise sauce. It was very good.

Extremely busy place on Monday night...it was encouraging to see.

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No "Sex tourism or travel" promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided any compensation for this hopefully entertaining contribution. Any posts regarding any event or hotel item are just my humble opinions only.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:23 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I admit up front I love this place , but you should read the menu carefully. They have many steak options but only a few are imported from Argentina. You can check by looking to the right side of menu and it says " importadora" my Spanish spelling may be off a little. But the ones that say that are the bomb cuts of beef. Plus you should also know they do split servings , where you can get half of one type of steak and another half of a different cut. I believe this can be done with everything but the ribeye. Unless someone at your table would like the other half ribeye !!!! The skirt steak and ribeye combo is my favorite. !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:31 pm 

How can anyone not like this place? Makes no sense. I go there for the empanadas because I do not eat steak. Some of the Italian dishes are good as well as the desserts.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:46 pm 

Zunbake3 wrote:
How can anyone not like this place? Makes no sense.

Because it isn't very good? :D

Look, to each his own. I am sure the place provides good service and good meals in the majority of cases. The testimonials from long time SJO residents like TS and DJ speak volumes as to why it's popular. The reviews on Tripadvisor are also overwhelmingly positive.

If you all like it, more power to you. I'm glad you enjoy the place, and I hope more CRTers patronize it.

But with all due respect... to claim it doesn't make sense that someone does not like the place or that no one has ever had a bad experience there is silly.

All I know is I've been there twice and both times the meals and the service sucked balls. And this is coming from someone who is a fan of Argentinian cuisine, of which there is plenty to be had both in Miami and in BA.

Mis dos centavos,

mh

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:38 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I've been going there since my first trip in '99 with my mom and my K*ds. Since then I've been there alone or with a wing. I chose to sit at the bar usually. Although my trips are 4-6 months apart, the bartender Jose always calls me by name. The maître d' knocks himself out to get me a cab or offers a nice smile when I stroll in after a sesh down the street. I get personal and great service and always order the same thing (mollejas and chorizo). It's always a great two hour decompression for me in my piece of heaven away from gringolandia.

Regarding the comment on VIPs getting seated first, I don't have a problem with that. When I make my move to live in CR that's gonna be me so all the guys in cargo shorts and sandals can just stew. Haha.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:47 pm 

Silly, really!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:05 am 

heat fan :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:11 am 

LAdiablo wrote:
heat fan :roll:
And thank God for that.

If I were a KobME fan I wouldn't know gristle from USDA Prime, either. :mrgreen:

mh

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:15 am 

yeah well i guess i must be as confused as the rest of the board then lmao :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:00 am 

LAdiablo wrote:
yeah well i guess i must be as confused as the rest of the board then lmao :lol:

That's not hard to achieve. :)

mh

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:13 am 

Let me return to my mantra that always works for me in these cases: "Gnat on a Cow's ass", "Gnat on a Cow's ass","Gnat on a Cow's ass", ah I feel so much better and I will no slip my self up next time!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:23 am 

Zunbake3 wrote:
Let me return to my mantra that always works for me in these cases: "Gnat on a Cow's ass", "Gnat on a Cow's ass","Gnat on a Cow's ass", ah I feel so much better and I will no slip my self up next time!

That might explain it...the meat they serve is from a gnat-infested cow's ass!

Enjoy your gristle, folks!

mh

P.S. All kidding aside... enjoy your gristle. And apologies for LaD trying to hijack the thread to bleat about the Heat, Wade, Lebron, and how great KobME is. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next