www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beer prices
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:04 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Just wondering what the going price for a beer is at the major places( SL BM MK ZB NF IDEM etc etc ) and what I could expect at some of the lesser places or at even a regular bar> Just want to know when I am being taken by a bar tender-- Also is change considered a tip as long as you are sitting there with a drink or should I pockect it right away-- used to paying as I drink, leaving change on the bar for the next drink and any left when I stand up and leave with my drink and not telling bartender I be back is there's" Wondering about the unwritten bar rules thats all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:18 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

If you leave your change on the bar at the BM it usually is assumed to be a tip. I think an Imperial there is about 1K colones. Beer at local sodas can be much less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:10 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Last week an Imperial at BM was 1200. Ranges from about 800-1200 all around town. Most places do have a 5-7 p.m. happy hour 2-4-1 for 1000. But don't throw that bottle cap away thats lying on the bar. Thats your other beer. No shot glass in Costa rica. I did this twice and it was no 2nd beer for me. Also make sure its 5:00. Matt bought a round for five of us one afternoon at 4:59 and it was full price, even though the register receipt said 5:00 when she rang it up. Thats Costa Rica. Enjoy.
And don't leave change on the bar anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:11 am 

New York Bar uses a shot glass at 6:30 pm everyday when they ring the bell. The glass entiltles you to the free drink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:28 pm 

thank you for the advice on the bottle caps

Post subject: Top Shelf
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:26 pm 

If beer is running 1200 Colones, how much does the average "Top Shelf" whiskey run.

Crown Royal
Jack Daniels (hardly top shelf but outside of the USA??)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:56 pm 

Xman00...

Beer ranges from 500 colones (less than a buck) to as high as 1500 colones (around $4.70) at the top-end clubs and fancy restaurants. These prices are for the three local beer labels: Imperial, Bavaria and Pilsen. Of the three, I like Bavaria Dark the best...it's not really a heavy dark beer despite the name. The other two beers I've seen at most bars are Heineken and Corona, which will run $2.00 - $3.00/bottle.

Tipping: Your 10% tip is already included in the price. If you want to tip for extra good service, you might want to leave a few small (50 or 100 CRC) coins on the bar when you're ready to leave.

Unlike most places in the U.S. (except maybe rural Wisconsin where everyone is an alcoholic), bartenders in C.R. are permitted to drink while working, and it's often a nice gesture to invite the bartender to a beer. :idea:

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Crown
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:05 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Thanks for the information on the beer prices. Would anyone know the price of a crown and water? :lol: Also does CR have a local whiskey? In Thailand I tried San Som(sp) and it was not that bad. Crown or VO is my favorite though.
Thanks
Bobshere 8)

Post subject: Re: Crown
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:55 pm 

Bobshere wrote:
Thanks for the information on the beer prices. Would anyone know the price of a crown and water? :lol: Also does CR have a local whiskey? In Thailand I tried San Som(sp) and it was not that bad. Crown or VO is my favorite though.
Thanks
Bobshere 8)

Local CR firewater is Cacique guaro. If you were raised on moonshine you will right at home drinking it. :lol: :lol:

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:23 pm 

I don't know of any local Wiskey, but they do make a Sugar Cane Rum that some people really like.

Post subject: Arithmetic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:18 pm 

El ciego old buddy, maybe you should brush up on the arithmetic.

VITTORIO DE SICA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:43 pm 

I noticed a lot of Johnny Walker drinkers in CR. I had a Johnny Walker BLUE and water for $18.00 That was at Bar Iden I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:59 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

"Local CR firewater is Cacique guaro."

It is like firewater but is only 30%. It is a nuetral cane spirit. Ticos drink it as it is very cheap in price, basically wherever one goes. Ticos have it with ice and a splash of water. I drink it with cranberry juice or a cola product. However, having more than a few and I find a very mild headache ensues. I find the buzz to be like a scotch buzz. If one goes to a club and is not wanting gringo prices order guaro.

Post subject: Re: Beer prices
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:22 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Most of the establishments in the Gulch frequented by Gringos, SL, BM, Scores, Zona II… are charging about 1500 for local beer (Imperial, Pilsen). If I am wrong it because I probably had too many of the aforementioned beers. Happy hour you can do better such as 2-for-1 at Zona II. Cocal in Jaco is up to 2100 for Imperial :!:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:45 pm 

El Ciego wrote:
Xman00...

Beer ranges from 500 colones (less than a buck) to as high as 1500 colones (around $4.70) at the top-end clubs and fancy restaurants. These prices are for the three local beer labels: Imperial, Bavaria and Pilsen. Of the three, I like Bavaria Dark the best...it's not really a heavy dark beer despite the name. The other two beers I've seen at most bars are Heineken and Corona, which will run $2.00 - $3.00/bottle.

Tipping: Your 10% tip is already included in the price. If you want to tip for extra good service, you might want to leave a few small (50 or 100 CRC) coins on the bar when you're ready to leave.

Unlike most places in the U.S. (except maybe rural Wisconsin where everyone is an alcoholic), bartenders in C.R. are permitted to drink while working, and it's often a nice gesture to invite the bartender to a beer. :idea:

Hope this helps.

1500 colones is $2.83 today