www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:15 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Del Rey Dave wrote:
Is there really a food critic on this thread?

Last time he posted he had some medical problems. I think it has been over two years or so since he posted a restaurant review.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:37 am 

I wish him well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:00 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Not one critic per se, but many of the Brothers have given intelligent criticism of most of the dining venues so a "Search" on a venue or type (Peruvian, Chinese, etc.) will get you most of what you want. This is not busting--just a "future reference" type of thing . And of course more intel gets added all the time. And finally, TripAdvisor has good peer-generated reviews.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:36 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

If it is the same I have heard that Valle Azul refered to as Ram Luna could this be one in the same?
Pura Vida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:10 pm 

Roneil wrote:
If it is the same I have heard that Valle Azul refered to as Ram Luna could this be one in the same?
Pura Vida

Not the same. Ram Luna is a moderate priced mirador restaurant above Asseri. Valle Azul is an expensive mirador restaurant located in the hills above San Antonio, Escazu. It also is for sale.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject: Re: Machu Pichu
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:19 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Makinhole wrote:
Machu Pichu is definitely a great place to eat. Second that on the seafood plate -- excellent. And the desserts weren't too shabby either if I recall correctly.

BTW, is that Oasis right across the street? I noticed some pretty nice looking ladies hanging in front of a doorway, but thought it was business, not pleasure, over there. Then I get back here and see the monger map, and it sure looks like where Oasis would be.

the ceviche mixto for an appetizer and the The Parilla mixto is my favorite entree - but you need at least 4 people to eat the Parilla mixto!!! The salsa picante is hot, but the best in SJO ( my humble $.02)

Don Rico

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:38 am 

To backstop Brother ID's mentions:
http://www.wikicostarica.com:16080/inde ... Valle_Azul clickable link to the venue's Website, map, etc.

http://www.toenjoynature.com/COSTA_RICA ... NT/07.HTML NOTE: old-style ph.#
http://www.costaricaphotos.com/v/tours/ram_luna pix of the Weds. night "Tierra Tica" buffet and show

Quick, somebody PM that guy who was asking about investment opportunities, about Valle Azul.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:08 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Wholly agree with those who say they differentiate eating establishments to try a little better cuisine or just different fare then burgers and things because the meals can be excellent and priced extremely well relative to home. A man has to take time to refuel....

I'll just throw a couple experiences out there....

Machu Piccu gets a thumbs up ... arrived with a party of 4 and nobody left dissappointed!!! Good Service.

JR's Place for Ribs (short walk from NF) ... Just OK ...The meat not bad ... the sauce ... well ... I think we all know what anything with Tomato sauce in Costa Rica may taste like ... It won't get you sick, but it won't have you craving to come back. Tried it just for the irony of it all ... Rib Joint in the land of beans & rice & plantains

Las Palmas? I believe that is the Chilean restaurant at Hotel Castillo. Excellent Chilean cuisine (Try the Sea Bass) have been there several times do to convenience ... However a few times the service was very underwhelming as my party had to wait...and wait...and wait one time...to the point where we were ready to leave...found out that they had a new waitress that night that screwed up every order in the party .... only because I gave them the benefit of the doubt had I return. Good Food ... Service hit or miss.

IL RITORNO (located @ Casa Italia) - Can only vouch that it "seems" to be a very nice place. Heard the food was excellent. Seemed to be a little more on the upscale side with clientele and atmosphere but priced very reasonably. Made one fruitless attempt to dine there, but half the party was turned away upon entering as 2 members of our party had on sleeveless shirts (tank top style). Thank goodness we didn't arrive with 2 or 3 38DDD specials from the Del Rey ... LOL. They were very polite in giving us the rejection notice and of course the option to return with sleeved shirts, but instead of taking a cab back have someone change and return ... we just went elsewhere...will try again. Will try it again once my Tuxedo returns from the cleaners.

Question? Has anyone eaten at "Soda Peru" up the hill across the street from HLH? I hear it has pretty good food very locally priced, but the outside scares me...not inviting to your average gringo persay. Always crowded with locals mostly ... I don't want to lose a day off the chase sitting on the throne ... any reviews or recommendations on what to eat there?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:42 pm 

Soda Peru has some excellent seafood, reasonably priced. It would fall under a "Dump" in American terms, based on looks, but the food is good.

Man I'm living life like a great white shark swimming with minnows! It's all about panocha, great scotch, fine cigars, loud-ass rock music and speed, speed, speed - plus spending as much time as possible in paradise on earth, Costa Rica!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:54 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Occasionally I do food critiques in my hometown for a large restaurant conglomerate. I am also fat, therefore somewhat of a connosieur. I eat at soda peru every time I am in cr. Always good, always friendly, always reasonable. Try the seafood soup

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:58 pm 

Soda Peru
Go before lunch 11:30ish
Or after the lunch rush 1:00ish
I suggest to avoid Mondays.... still good ... not as fresh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:42 pm 

About JR Rib's Wasn't there some convo awhile back about avoiding the cole slaw? Mayo based and they let it sit out so it spoiled? Put a lot of guys off the place, that did. Did they then or now have C&W bands play? Even Latin style C&W?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:47 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Thanks Gents for your reply...

I was a bit eager in posting the question about Soda Peru and found an entire thread unto itself on it.

I will definitely give it a shot on my next visit ... soon. Seems like the Seafood is the way to go.

Also want to try Cafe Mundo and the hard to find La Croilitta by the INS ... heard good things about both

Thanks again for the insight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:55 am 

I wouldn't wear wife beaters @ Cafe Mundo, it's a little more upscale.
Regards, 911 Driver

The happy hour is a device either for getting rid of social obligations hurriedly en masse or for making overtures toward more serious social relationships, as in the etiquette of whoring.- Brooks Atkinson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:23 pm 

La Criollita is a great restaurant too, I eat there every time I visit SJ. They have a nice outdoor patio that is semi-covered with a huge birdcage where you can smoke too.

Man I'm living life like a great white shark swimming with minnows! It's all about panocha, great scotch, fine cigars, loud-ass rock music and speed, speed, speed - plus spending as much time as possible in paradise on earth, Costa Rica!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next