www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dec 10-14
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:01 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

just booked a short 5 day visit this time. my last visit was to Jaco and San Jose, this time im interested in a visit to the Hot springs. should i plan a 1-2 day visit for just do a day excursion? also i read everyone say to avid Christmas time, is the 10-14 to close to Christmas where it will be slim pickings, or will last second deals to be plentiful.

Post subject: Re: Dec 10-14
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:55 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Multi-day trip or excursion? It kind of depends on which hot springs you choose. The most commonly marketed ones are to the La Fortuna area. It is possible to do this as a one-day excursion, but expect to leave your hotel well before dawn and spend most of your time in the bus. You will typically do a few quick stops along the way (Grecia, Sarchi) before arriving to your selected springs (Baldi, Tabacon). You will only get to spend a couple of hours at your spring before boarding your bus at dusk for the ride back to San Jose arriving sometime after 10pm. A long day stuck in a bus with other gringos, but easy to book, plenty of picture options, no decisions to make.

For a multi day trip, you can rent your own car, use a shuttle, or even take a bus. This will allow you a lot more flexibility. You can select a hotel to fit your taste and budget. Then you would purchase day passes to which ever springs you choose. There is a large price range from Tabacon to Termales Los Laureles. The problem here is that you will burn up several days of your trip.

A third option is to do a day trip or overnighter closer to San Jose. My suggestion the Orosi Valley. You could start it with a trip through Cartago stopping at Lankester Gardens, the old Cathedral ruins and the current cathedral. Then find a hotel for the night. The next day you could purchase a $55 day pass to Termales Hacienda Orosi which includes 9am - 5pm access to their springs and a coffee/farm tour. You can back in San Jose for a full evening's activities. With this approach you are only giving up 1 day of play time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:42 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I'm really interested in Baldi Hot Springs. Sportsmen's Lodge has a Day Tour to Baldi, but its a 14 day. just want to make sure its worth the trip, only a couple of hours could really make a long day for such little time on property.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:52 pm 

cameraeyez wrote:
I'm really interested in Baldi Hot Springs. Sportsmen's Lodge has a Day Tour to Baldi, but its a 14 day. just want to make sure its worth the trip, only a couple of hours could really make a long day for such little time on property.

Nothing wrong with that, you will have the first experience I describe above. One nice thing is that typically the same bus typically drops at Baldi before going on the drop at Tabacon. This gives you a bit more time at the springs. The tour company handles everything.
Take a good e-book, the ride back is in the dark. :lol:

Your schedule should be fine. The chicas will be looking to make some Xmas cash.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:36 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

are there ticas in La Fortuna, or should i bring one from San Jose.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:41 am 

Take a Ho with you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:05 pm 

cameraeyez wrote:
are there ticas in La Fortuna, or should i bring one from San Jose.

Around 50% of the population are ticas. But that won't help you. Not easy to find any that might want to be with you, so bring one from SJ if so desired.